Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Too many windmills

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Benny5, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny5

Benny5 Avatar

I've noticed there's quite a lot of windmills - I understand this was designed to be a player housing option in the game, but I would love to see it change shape/ruggedness or go away completely. Having them every once in a while would be okay, but against the mountainscape it reminds me of fallout 3...They look pretty modern and sort of crumb up my feel of the gorgeous landscape Portalarium has created. Just my opinion of it, not trying to troll. Also if you click on signs (I think this will be added later) but there is no dialogue or text that pops up to indicate what they say. would love to see this!
    would also love to see plates and forks on the table in the tavern (and bigger taverns!) :) instead of like four people make it like ten!! :p ultima isnt ultima without the forks and plates! :p and beds too! Also would love to see metal doors on stone buildings (the keep like/castle ones)

2. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Ronan and gtch like this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

The windmills on the mountainscapes seems to be wind power stations. There are also one or two in the towns - hm, a little steam punk design ;-) Anyway the wind power stations on the mountaintops are bad for my immersion of a medieval fantasy world - far too technical in my opinion.

Time Lord and Grayhawk like this.
  4. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

There is a bit more science in this new realm - the electrical power units on city building in Owls Head proves that. I do believe there will be a bit more science to the magic in this one.

The Ultima games were kinda getting that way as well.

Think of who is creating this game (Mr.Astronaut hisself, Richard Garriott) - I believe you'll understand this a bit more.

Carlin the Archer and gtch like this.
  5. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I'm quite happy to have a little bit of electrical technology used in game, so long as it doesn't overshadow medieval technologies - I'd hate to see everyone running around with steam-punk electricity powered laser guns.

Also, I like the use of wind-power. I'm a 'sustainable energy' fan, so makes my heart warm to see eco friendly power in SOTA :)

Jambo, Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I wonder if we'll see the windmill blades kills birds when they fly into them. :D

Brenton and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Yeah, or we might get a 'wind-spill' that will pollute a big chunk of New Brittania ;-)

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  8. jason silverain

jason silverain Avatar

So lets craft, light bulbs then, Sand + Coal = Glass + mold = lightblub

~Jason

9. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

i do not get into lore, even tho i think i should, but i believe SotA is set in an after earth type setting. So having electricity is kinda to be expected. Of course this is just what i had heard so correct me if i am wrong.

The introduction of electricity makes me want to read the lore, it may make more sense then.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Wind power stations are good for our environment, they keep our planet clean and green - there's no doubt about it. In Germany - where I come from - we have many of them. As many, that it's hard to see a piece of nature without a wind power station. Whatever, this is the price we have to pay for a clean and green environment and it's ok.

[​IMG]

But I play a game to relax. To forget the real world and all the indwelling problems.

[​IMG]

A game is a save haven and a means to forget the real world problems. A game is a chance to see fantastic landscapes - with some areas untouched. For this reason I would prefer less wind power stations in Shroud of the Avatar.

Time Lord, Annavas Azon and chuzpah like this.
  11. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

Personally I like the wind turbines on the hills. I tried to visit them but was hit by an invisible wall.

@Cir: Where I live (Southern California) there is a lot of wind turbines just east of LA (in the desert near Palm Springs). There must be hundreds of them! It is a cool sight be behold in person.

12. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

@ chuzpah: I was able to visit some wind power stations, here is a picture with a nice view over Owl's Head :)

[​IMG]

13. SOTAJunky

SOTAJunky Avatar

This is a quote from the Ultima Online Wiki. Steampunk technology has been in the works for a future game since Ultima VII.
    Ultima Worlds Online: Origins

The planned setting of Ultima Worlds Online: Origins (formerly Ultima Online 2) was two hundred years after a magical cataclysm which occurred in multiple shards as Lord British aimed to rebind the fragmented Britannia as a single world. The cataclysm echoed with two other cataclysms through time, one in the distant prehistoric past of Britannia (when the entire life was wiped out by the spell of Armageddon) and one in the distant future when Jukarans warriors battled with the original form of Exodus. The cataclysm merged all three eras together, creating a new world dubbed New Britannia which would have introduced steampunk technology in the traditional medieval world of Britannia.
    The story was further developed in a trilogy of novels:
    • The Technocrat War 1: Machinations
    • The Technocrat War 2: Masquerade
    • The Technocrat War 3: Maelstrom
    Some of these concepts, notably the corruption of Lord Blackthorn and use of cybernetic technology, were adapted in Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.
    A preview of Ultima Online 2 is found on the Avatar's computer in Ultima IX. The Ultima series was first seen as a computer game in Ultima VII, though its impact on the story, if any, has never been brought up.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The story is that we are coming to New Britannia from Earth. This means that there are people coming in with knowledge of technology as we have it, and some of those people probably have extended training and study in those technologies. Remember Doc in Back to the Future when he went into the Old West?

He spent his time trying to recreate tech.
    [​IMG]
    That's really no different than what is going on in New Britannia. To be honest, this isn't new to the series. We've had balloon travel, a time machine, the Exodus machine, Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Automatons (twice). And that's just some of the stuff that wasn't attributed completely to magic.

Also, note that UO2 was announced while Richard was still at Origin/EA. It also had a more advanced tech aspect to it.

Link_of_Hyrule and NRaas like this.
  15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I know all these facts, but all these facts only take one side of the coin. The other side is whether one like it or not. And I prefer a high fantasy setting like in Ultima IV - IX. But this is only my humble opinion, no offense ;)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Your opinion or not, I think it was clear from the beginning KS videos that RG wanted the world to be in a state of technical and magical flux. And that's the only side of the coin that matters.

NRaas likes this.
  17. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Without the windmills, what will our brave knights tilt at?

Carlin the Archer likes this.
  18. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I'm not minding what I'm seeing so far of the tech being added into SotA. I just hope we avoid Borgthorn types of creatures. That was one of my biggest "hates" about UO2.

19. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

There are quite a few, I would estimate there should only be 0.62 windmills per sq mile. This could be adjusted a little by using waterwheels instead. Waterwheels outnumbered windmills by about 2.5 : 1. Dev team would need to be open to restructuring towns and possibly adding a few smaller streams into the map(s) also.

Cir likes this.
  20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

The purpose of a forum is to share minds and thoughts. Therefore everyone's opinion should matter. With the exception of trolling of course ;)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.