Teaching the Gospel ingame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorthos, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiminiVant

RiminiVant Avatar

@Lord Kei: Sorry if I went off on too much of a tangent there.

I don't foresee the need for any specific prohibition of RL religious speech, content, etc. and I would be surprised if Portalarium implemented such a thing in anticipation of issues.

I think marthos got it... just abide by the standard harassment rules.

2. Moonlight

Moonlight Avatar

Ahem, given that 'Truth' is one of the three core Principles that go on to form the Eight Virtues of the Avatar, and this forum is dedicated to Shroud of the Avatar, I would argue that this very forum is precisely the right place to discuss the principle of Truth.

You want the right to talk about your religion publicly, I demand the same.

3. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

But this is a different universe than Ultima.

4. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

@Shadoweaver

I think my in game nick will be very offending to RPers because I don't RP. Was and still is a powergamer.

5. Zero Neutral

Zero Neutral Avatar

*Content removed for violating forums rules*

6. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

@Zero Neutral: & @Archaaz: I'll join your LB cult! I spent several years practicing divination from Minoc to Trinsic. I'm an expert on the will of the Creator!!

7. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

Jesus went against the norm in his day and that'd be an awesome angle to take in-game as well.

8. cheshire

cheshire Avatar

I honestly don't see a problem. If it's in a residence to an attentive audience, that's fine. If you preach at the town square, you can be tuned out like people do in real life (in this case, putting you on Ignore assuming that's possible) or listen to you if they like. In that case, I'd prefer it only be done if there is a solid RP rationale for it, but it's possible there is (second paragraph). If you harass someone or get into flame wars with them (or they with you), such behavior can be reported.

I also don't see a problem RP wise, depending on world background. If there are travelers from other worlds, surely some will be Christians or Buddhists or Muslims or Atheists. Presumably your Avatar is a Christian in that case. The idea that these characters are ourselves can be inferred from RG's comments about why he only wants one character per player. If it's not true that we have wandered into the world from elsewhere, RP reasons to be a real-world religion may be somewhat harder, but still not impossible, and it doesn't sound like this is an RP thing, anyway.

It is risky, though. Be careful.

9. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

@cheshire

Agreed.

10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

If there was a church in the game I would be going.

I mean we have a 7 day week, not just in this part of the world or the other but pretty much everywhere and many of the languages for their seventh day even sounds like the sabbath so we know the Bible is true.

But even though we do have churches the hateful citizens in this games should be able to burn it to the ground.

11. smack

smack Avatar

There's a time and place for everything, and this is not a public street. We're all paying to be playing in this private social space on Portalarium's servers and are bound by their Terms of Service / Rules of Conduct.

Having said that, I have no problems with this. But make friends, go questing with them and then teach them the Gospel, Paganism, Voodoo, Pastafarianism, Universe People, Raelism, Jediism, etc., if they'll listen. Perform whatever activities you want with them, be it religious activities or just good old fashion ERP.

Just don't spam, otherwise you're no better than gold farmers spamvertising about IRL goods and services, and won't make very many friends that way either :)

12. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Avatar

@jondavis: I hope you realize that the days of the week are - in most of the western world, at least - named after the norse gods? Tyr, Odin, Thor, Freya? Sunday being quite literally named after the sun?

On topic, while I don't believe there should be any rules against it, I'd hope people would realize on their own what a bad idea it would be. Judging from this thread, maybe not. :/

13. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

I have my freedom to play this game the way I want. How you think about me or Christianity is not important.

My Avatar will be a Christian Lord, warrior of the faith. Yep my pvp tag will be on. Feel free to take me on if you think you are up to it.

14. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

Personally here are my thoughts about it.

What happens in your or your friend's house is your business.

Don't spam about it, by which I mean if there is a "local" channel that isn't the place for it... make a guild invite folks into the guild.

Don't go up to random people in the street and ask them if they have accepted the lord into their heart.

There are several good reasons for the last two.

The first is it almost always leads to fights and juvenile debates that are both immersion breaking and sad as most all of the parties involved on both sides are ill equipped to have a meaningful one.

The second is RG has already alluded that there are very good reasons advertising you are from another world is a bad thing? and being a proselytizer for a religion espousing a person who obviously never existed on this particular world (in the flesh) will immediately single you out as from another realm. In other words, it is immersion breaking and really doesn't fit with the backstory (unless you like being a martyr in the traditional/biblical sense of the word).

The third is it is rude. People are in game to relax and escape from their day to day lives. You don't know anything about them or their trials and tribulations. Maybe they just got done with coming out to their religious family and had the bible thrown at them for three hours, etc... Religion is a very personal thing, I would humbly suggest leaving it that way.

15. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

I found RG's answer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGdc1Ort2o#t=3h26m

He lets slip some hints about the story and alludes to there might be a reason not to do this from a story perspective.

16. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

Thank you Elvish Dragon for linking that video.

17. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Basically what Moonlight and Elvish Dragon(s) said. All well and good if you're doing so with a group of interested individuals, not so good if it ends up spamming any local or global chat channels.

Based on RG's thoughts on the issue, I would basically play at as an Underground Movement, quietly finding like-minded individuals and gathering accordingly. Such a manner will fulfill an interesting role/game play aspect and not bother people who would rather stay away for whatever reason.

Finally, don't allow yourself or your group to "take the bait" from trolls and others who only want to cause problems. Sometimes it's best to simply ignore and walk away than it is to try and argue when there's going to be no coming to terms anyway. At best, it ruins your night's gaming, at worst, it ends up with you (and maybe even your entire group) forcibly removed from the game.

18. Original

Original Avatar

I think this idea is cool and neat. I can see this happening only in a LB game.

19. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

If you want to hold a service do it in a theater, reason one it will not disturb people outside that don't care, will help stop trolls. In addition to giving you a head count of admittance. still probably many more benefits than what I listed.

20. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

LemmingOfEvil
    Exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.