Teaching the Gospel ingame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorthos, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

Are there going to be rules barring any religious teaching within the game? I'm interested in sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the others that will be playing.

dlowe, Darkheartdragon and Ome like this.
  2. marthos

marthos Avatar

I would imagine that the normal harassment rules apply, along with the rules against starting/participating in a flame war (which religion/politics often lead). If someone seems interested in talking to you, go for it. If they don't, leave them alone. If they want to argue with you, move on or take it to private tells.

Freeman likes this.
  3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I would be prepared to be on almost every person's ignore list from the time you encounter them.

There is a time and a place for everything.

skinned, licemeat and Freeman like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

@Chlorthos don't force it. If someone is standing alone waiting for someone, strike up a conversation. Listen to the person and earn the right to speak. If he's receptive to what you want to share you'll know. If he isn't receptive then don't force it.

Just keep yourself in the love of God. Stay away from condemnation and political debates about marriage because that isn't the gospel anyway Jesus is.

dlowe likes this.
  5. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

@I am willing to open up my Village house for your Sunday service.

chrisbcarr likes this.
  6. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Heh...that's an interesting thought; players holding in-game services inside the homes of those who volunteer their abode's for such usage.

7. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

*Content removed for violating forums rules*

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Take RG?s example of the theater. A player wants to hold a play, the Devs want to give a venue and tools for administration of the venue.

You will need to advertise and collect your door charge (via the tool set), if charging.

Change out the play for your sermons.

People will attend if they are interested. No one shows, should have hired a producer. If you did hire a producer and still no one attends, send the producer to InsaneMembrane.

9. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

<blockquote>Ensure that you enable your PvP flag so that your the Word of Jesus can reach as many people as possible.</blockquote>

What's Rome without lions? ;)

Beno Ledoux, licemeat and Freeman like this.
  10. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

I appreciate all the feedback!

Just to clarify a bit, I don't want to force anything on anyone. Jesus didn't, why should I? I'm all for voluntary exchange of truth. If someone doesn't want to listen, as said, they're welcome to put me on their ignore list or whatever. That said, I do believe that "the Truth" exists. I know that is totally opposite what RG's philosophy seems to be, having followed his career for a long time, but come on, there's always room for diversity!

Secondly, I really didn't have a "church service" in mind, necessarily (though lectures of the "sermon" type wouldn't be out of place at all). What I was thinking of was really an interactive bible study that goes through a book of the Bible (Mark is my go-to book for these types of study, since it's short, fast-paced, and to-the-point). The end result is of course dependent upon the outcome of the game mechanics, but I forsee it working best if voice chat is a possibility.

Kei, thanks for your offer. Would you be willing to host what I am talking about [instead of/as well as] the "service"?

11. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

BTW, while it would be completely fitting for persecution in the Roman style to happen ingame, I won't be seeking it out! : )

12. slandrew

slandrew Avatar

These things lead to a ban 10/10 times in games. I don't think it's right but more often than not you will run into people who refuse to use their ignore filter and really get thrill out of trying to get you banned. Regardless, I wish you well, Brother Chlorthos.

13. I_heart_Sosaria

I_heart_Sosaria Avatar

I love it when the "real world" bleeds into my escapism :-/

postulio likes this.
  14. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I do not think that an online RPG is the correct format for proselytizing, of any actual, real world religion, or for the espousing of political views for that matter. Perhaps in a roleplay context, and only for an in-game religion with no real world counterpart (and only then if it is not done in an offensive manner). This sort of thing is probably best saved for private chats outside of the game itself. As in real life, I do not want to be subjected to proselytizing, unless I actively seek it out (which I do not). It is just good etiquette to keeps one's views on such matters to oneself.

Kromtec likes this.
  15. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

In the UO shard where I play, there is a Christian guild with housing in Luna where they posted details about meeting weekly for devotionals and things like that. Anyone who was interested was encouraged to come at the specified time in that building and join in fellowship.

There wasn't a lot of unsolicited "preaching" or proselytizing outside of that. To the extent a group of religious people want to play the game and use it as another avenue for fellowship and evangelism, it seems to me that would be the way to do it, and I have to think that would allowed as banning that would be a pretty draconian swipe against religious freedom. The point is to not cross the point into what a reasonable player might consider harassment.

That said, going out of one's way to call it a "fraud" and bash players for their beliefs is no better, and is no less harassment, than going out of one's way to hit everyone over the head with a Bible or a Koran.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally I don't understand why people would bring non-game world things into the game world, it defeats the point of a role-playing experience.

Kromtec likes this.
  17. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

@redfish

why not? it is our Avatar. We go into the game from RL.

chrisbcarr likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lord Kei,

I know, but I'm not going to start a Republican guild or Democrat guild, so why a Christian guild? I also, say, personally prefer when people use role-playing names instead of overly jokey names, and generally try to stay in character. Think like you're part of a big story writing project with other players, trying to create a game world with them.

Of course, that wouldn't imply that you couldn't have casual conversations with friends you know about RL while online in the game, but if you're going to actually have meetings and groups and things like that it just makes sense to me to do that out of the game world, not inside it. Exchange contacts, and so on.

That's just my personal preference. I don't like breaking from the character.

Kromtec and licemeat like this.
  19. RiminiVant

RiminiVant Avatar

@Moonlight: Amen to that

20. Lord Kei

Lord Kei Avatar

@Mataczar

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am just encouraging a fellow Christian by opening up my village home for his event if he needs it.

And I dont think this forum is the right place for discussion about 'Truth'.

chrisbcarr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.