Will SOTA be playable on smart phones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mingo, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

---Looking at the "clean" UI in the recent beta test I am wondering if SOTA is being designed for the small screen. (smart phones, tablets etc)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Both Richard and Starr have said it would be cool...but depends on funding it seems...

[02:17.01] <+Link_of_Hyrule> Possibly might get SotA on Android/iOS once the PC version is complete I'd imagine.
    [02:20.25] <~DarkStarr> Link: Providing funds are there we would love to be on mobile and console

3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--ah! interesting (unfortunately your links don't work for me)

4. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Smart phones? lol, I highly doubt it. If this is playable on a phone, I don't think its something I would want to play on a PC.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I would doubt the result of being able to play it on mobile would be to dumb down the PC version in the process.

There are many games which are cross-platform, where the PC version has the higher graphics quality and such, simply because the PC is capable of handling it.

From the interface we have seen so far (drag/dropping and movement), there is nothing that could not be replicated (perhaps better) on a touch screen.

Anyone played this game using a touch-screen computer ? Not sure how that works. :)

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think smartphones and consoles are one of the advantages of unity. In my mind you could have overlapping games. So maybe you never PvP with an xbox player but you can interact in other ways. I don't know why crafting and some gathering couldn't work on phones.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Have fun with the chat box on a smart phone! :p

Doppelganger likes this.
  8. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

lol, try using swipe on that thing. Imagine the key word trees that would open up! Then again, the NPC's would probably just be completely confused (even more than they already are with regular words)

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Voice to Text all the way.

Mind you, I've seen the converters on some of those phone systems. OMG, do not have an accent. :p

docdoom77 likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't know exactly how that would work out on a smart phone. I agree that the control system would be simplified a bit. The camera views would need to be more stationary. Just a few thoughts off of the top of my head.

11. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

As long as they don't dumb down systems and controls for all users to accommodate mobile devices, it is no skin off anyone's nose.

But, having said that, look how windows 8 got gimped out of the box to suit the small market segment that insists on smearing their monitors with greasy fingerprints.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  12. Lithius

Lithius Avatar

RG's comments on possibly adapting SotA to smart phones and tablets is one (of several) reasons why I have resisted the urge to upgrade my pledge for Citizen. It is a cause for concern and uncertainty for me.

The idea may sound innocuous enough, but the ramifications of making the game for tablet will be felt by PC users. Any game that is developed for tablet will in turn limit its overall potential for technical growth and sophistication on the PC platform - in my opinion. Rather then just making the game for PC, the developers will be forced to consider far less powerful tablets when adding features and details. If it was made just for PC then developers would not be required to work within the constraints of a tablets limitations.

I could also see the possibility of dumbing down features to accommodate the size of the tablet and its input peripherals (i.e. touchscreen).

I can't be 100% certain of the implications of adapting SotA to tablets, but it doesn't fill my heart with joy or confidence.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're assuming that the whole game will be ported to the phone. I'm just thinking it would be fun to fish using the accelerometer.

Mingo likes this.
  14. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Before SotA was known as SotA, Ultimate RPG was planned to be cross platform compatible. Although smartphones and mobile devices were planned to only give minimal access to the game for off main game play interactions.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the arrangements they made with Zynga pre kickstarter? As I'm sure they had something planned for mobile in the original design phase.

http://blog.games.com/2012/09/26/richard-garriott-zynga-interview/

15. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

The game will be completed on PC long before it ever hits mobile but current generation devices are definitely capable of running the game. Funding, staff, and time are all devoted full on to the PC version of the game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mingo likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Starr said in chat a couple months ago that they no longer have a partnership with Zynga.

Valice_Belgraham likes this.
  18. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing a game released based on the combat system. That way we could play it for a while as a stand alone game and see if the random card system is really that good.

I've been playing Eredan PvP on my phone (can I say that?) and it's just a combat game. No story or anything and it's pretty popular as far as I can tell.

Might be a good way to test separately and to a wide audience....

19. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Fantastic! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.