Teaching the Gospel ingame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorthos, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

Wow, I haven't checked this for a while, and just now saw the further (1.5 pages!) of discussion.

Certainly I'm fine with anyone teaching whatever they like ingame. I'm for free speech, no matter who it is or what they believe. I have seen the numerous warnings against spam and such, and I will reiterate, I have no intention on bothering anybody.

The idea of cloaking the teaching with different terminology is interesting, but I'm not sure I could really make it work. My original thought was primarily an OOC thing. If I would be required to roleplay it, I might as well not do it.

Finally, I want to echo what some have said about this being a manifestation of "YOU are in this world". I am a preacher in real life, so this is really just an extension of who I am. I hope it's noticed that I haven't really TAUGHT anything on this post. No quoted scripture, no real sharing of my belief, except for the simple fact that I believe in objective truth. I am not teaching in this post, but if anyone wanted to PM me and ask me any kind of Bible question, I am totally down for that. This is really what I intend as my ingame behavior on this topic. Except for possible gatherings, or when someone is really interested, I won't really be teaching ingame. I will easily promise that I won't be running down the streets condemning sinners or shouting down people who disagree with me. In fact, probably 60% of my time spent in it will be running around questing, anyway.

Anyway, just felt I should be clear about any intentions. Cool discussion, I appreciate all the feedback about it.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

For the record, i would attend one of your gatherings out of curiosity based on this thread.

3. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

Sounds fine to me. We're role-playing as people from earth, after all.

Signed, a militant Atheist.

P.S. Join the uncult of Hythloth today!

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If you have your own little out of the way place that's no problem, but if people start naming horses after bible characters and trapping them in buildings all over town where they can't be ignored I'll have to skin them and throw the hides out in the street...just like in the old days.

Something like that could escalate into a feud. The good side of that is it could unify your brethren against a common foe and create a powerful bond which will enhance your game play and give me a hobby...just like in the old days.

All for fun though, peace. = )

5. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

My post was also deleted.

I have no idea why as I don't think I said anything offensive.
    But why it was outright deleted Vs having the content removed as some other people's posts were baffles me.

<-------Perhaps my ghostly shroud offends people?

6. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

my take on this matter is Jesus was not born in UO or SOTA and god isnt a controlling factor in the game unless you believe Richard G is your god hehe so leave real life stuff IE religion\money\politics to Real Life and enjoy the facets of the game that is already in play

7. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

My post was also deleted and it wasn't offensive.

8. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Mine wasn't deleted, but it was 100% redacted lawl. I didn't expect threat of in-game PK was warrant for removal due to rules :/

In any case, what Matheryn said, totally. Let us have no transition of real life religion, economy, or government. Lets have an enjoyable world to play and explore without the threat of real life creeping in.

9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Matheryn & InsaneMembrane , I agree.

My personal beliefs in real life have no place in your gaming experience. And if I play as a paladin or cleric then it will be as one dedicated to "The Light" or Darkness or some other general concept and not a Real World religion or philosophy.

Because really, if you cared about how Dianetics, Feng Shui or the Church of Satan changed my life you'd be looking it up on YouTube.

hanskrsg likes this.
  10. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

I'm all for reality in-game, being the realist that I am, but for the record, can you please refer to the quran, as the quran, wtf is a koran? Thanks in advance.

11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Koran is a correct English transliteration. We also capitalize the titles of books, especially holy books. Quran is also a correct transliteration. I hope that answers your question.

Just keepin' it real.

BillRoy and hanskrsg like this.
  12. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

Real life subjects such as - Religion - Race - Sexuality - Money - Politics ALWAYS lead to arguments\violence as there are to many people with strong unwavering points of views that clash so for the sake of a good gamming environment PLEASE keep Real Life subjects out of the game

13. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I agree you with SOME exceptions. Race, Gender and Sexuality SHOULDN'T be on your list. If someone is gay (or just wants to roll play someone gay) there is ZERO reason why that should be banned, in fact banning that would be discriminatory just like saying everyone should be Male would be discriminatory

In the case of race its more visual, you should be able to use the tools to make yourself (or any other avatar) and shouldnt be limited to white just because some people are racists

hanskrsg likes this.
  14. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

There will be always some topics from real life that irritate some people and that can't be avoided.

I do also agree and wish that players would play in New Britannia and try to leave real life topics aside. However, the characteristics of a player do get carrier over and that's great.

A player should be free to play a gay character but then a player should be also free to play a character that does not believe in same sex relationships based on religion or any other reason.

15. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

Frankly I'd prefer to see a world to "escape" to free of things like real world politics and religion which lead to a lot of flame wars and make it an unpleasant experiences. I play games to get away from stuff like that, and the last thing I want is that real world stuff brought into an escapist role-playing world.

That said, I think it would set a dangerous precedent to declare only certain things off limits to discuss or "play" ion the SotA world while allowing others. I don't know how you could "prohibit" those without being overly restrictive about anything else.

16. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

<cite>"That said, I think it would set a dangerous precedent to declare only certain things off limits to discuss or ?play? ion the SotA world while allowing others. I don?t know how you could ?prohibit? those without being overly restrictive about anything else."</cite>

Well said!

17. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

"A player should be free to play a gay character but then a player should be also free to play a character that does not believe in same sex relationships based on religion or any other reason. "

@Sanctius

The danger in that is that it is social acceptable to be gay. It is not as acceptable to be openly anti gay. Your statement may not mean that you are referring to openly anti gay players who become bigoted in their approach. Allowing those beleif into the game where it is not relavent however may lead to, or set examples for this type of behaviour.

And in that example, people don't choose to be gay. People do choose to be anti gay so it's not exactly the same thing in terms of comparative rights.

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

19. Bayien

Bayien Avatar

In a game about virtues; contrary to what most others seem to think, I see real world religion in this game as a thing that could exist and add depth to the game; whatever that may be. (For the record, I'm agnostic, though it should not matter.) However I feel that this does not mean you should openly preach to unwilling people, but perhaps advertise your service or gathering on a town billboard or something; but not spam it and metaphorically "shove it down people throats." As has been said, people who are interested will come by, and people who are not will ignore you, as long as it remains withing the harassment guidelines.

As I think goes with anything else, to a certain extent. You could play a gay character, but that does not mean you should run around towns singing it from the rooftops and annoying people, but it also does not mean that you cant express your opinions and beliefs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's a fine line between harassment and expressing your beliefs or worldviews.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

@Bayien

<cite>"I guess what I?m trying to say is it?s a fine line between harassment and expressing your beliefs or worldviews."

My point exactly was that you should be able to express your beliefs and views of life no matter whatever they are. Harassment and abusive behavior is entirely another thing which does not belong to any community.

@Vagabond Sam

Whether being gay is socially acceptable depends entirely on the community and country you live in and i'm sure there is a very diverse player base here also. That being said, i do believe that nobody should be discriminated based on sexual orientation (or any other factor) regardless if you have a different opinion. But you should be entitled to have a different opinion.

And i wanted to use term choose because you can choose to play gay character regardless if you are gay or not. You can RP to be anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.