1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

[RP-Event]: Chapter VI: The Last Dire Portal

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Cerus, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Damn you guys and your spelling, I scratched my head for a while wondering whether the orb will shoot out of the cannon as an indestructible ball of destruction or what:D

I really do not care if this RP-event and the future events like it are canon or not. I think they are in a way that it actually happened in the world that devs created and in any proper sandbox anything happens it is part of canon (unless the server is re-rolled to previous backup). I sure hope to see more meaningful RP in the future and I do not care that much if it is epic fight with nearly invincible Obsidian sorcerer or checking libraries all over the Novia for books describing ancient obsidian rituals.

I have learned that I should write my (RP) diary for all my in-game activity as my friends liked it and after a while it is hard to remember all sorts of adventures I had:)

Rentier, Aeryk, EMPstrike and 4 others like this.
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Here is my two cents on the future: and one option to entertain:

1) Somebody here who can get the devs to listen (Folks it is not me as I have pissed them off enough times *grins*) and ask for their assistance in future large scale RP events.

2) If the answer to #1 is affirmative then we wait for them to begin the next campaign.

3) If the answer is no to#1 then we can do this ourselves with a RP PVE/PVP storyline (Maybe we chase Malice to get whatever she is hiding (If she agrees). We can always reach out to those guilds that want to play on the side of Darkness. Finally we can have a big fight in an agreed spot.

4) One thing to consider is that neither side gets a permanent eternal victory. We want to have ongoing events possibly on a monthly schedule so that victories can alter and so the balance of good vs evil.

Let me know your thoughts as it can be done easily yet I think @Cerus, @ Chris, and @DarkStarr should be included, they may already have something up their sleeve considering the success of the event we just concluded.

*Climbs down from the Crows' Nest of his Pirate Galleon"

R/Boris/El Pirata.

Rentier, Dhanas, Net and 3 others like this.
  3. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

I will have to think about it. Obviously I do not want to lose the fun in playing my character.

The participation in the event was, at some times, a far stretch for my character. It was not 100% serious RP but more like "theater RP". For my daily interactions, I prefer serious and consistent RP (when I am not OOC with the guild). Everyone that is willing to RP on that level is welcome to keep playing this story with me. My personal understanding of "serious RP" has a few limitations, though:
    1. Your character knows only things they have witnessed themselves or been told by others. Forums posts are not public IC knowledge. They can be used by players as OOC knowledge to facilitate roleplay, but all knowledge a character has must be obtained ingame.
    2. Your character does not know the names of people that have not been introduced to them.
    3. Your character does not know who is behind a mask or helmet that covers the whole face.
    4. You do not force actions on other characters but instead "attempt" to do things and await their response. You do not assume the outcome of your attempts.
    5. Your character does not know where others are, unless they told them. Players should not have to hide their location. And if you use e.g. SotAssist and saw that Malice killed a patriarch bear in Ulfheim two minutes ago, your character should not know that she is there. Your character does not have SotAssist. You, the player do. And you use it with discretion. Now Fyndoro's tablet, which is an IC resource, is an entirely different matter of course.

Otherwise I would like to limit my participation to scheduled events.

Let me give you examples that might clarify what I mean: Net saw Malice walk out of the Zeitgeist library. He knew her name was Malice, despite them never meeting before, and despite Malice usually introducing herself as "Maluna". To my knowledge, there are only two people in SotA that know Malice by the name of "Malice", and I do not think one of them told Net. Net used that knowledge to ask the town crier in Insulam de Nocte where Malice lives. I am not saying that was wrong. It was exactly the right thing for this event, to make things happen within the limited timeframe we had. But I would hate to have my house camped by people that think they know a person called Malice lives there who has the knowledge about the destruction of the Obsidian Orb. For me, that would ruin my roleplay. I am however willing to once again become a public person should events with limited duration happen where Malice can play a role.

I am not sure if I was able to express my feelings and wishes eloquently. If you're confused or have questions, PM me please. I know we all have different RP styles, and mine won't work for everyone.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Thank you for the clarification and your rules of engagement for RP interaction. I will pm you first if I consider mentioning you in any of my posts to avoid misunderstandings.

For now I just want to know who wants to carry the torch and make an inquiry to Portalarium or @Cerus to gage future Event creation/continuation/involvement.

“Packs his pipe, pour a glass of rum, and casts his fishing line from the back of his pirate galleon”

Rentier, Vicious Malice and Lesni like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

I agree on the forums being OOC but honestly it did not even occur to me that I should not know who are the people I see in the game. Bit used to work with what is at my disposal and game mechanics in the place. Do not use SotAssist though and did not know it even exists until now.

The RP works both ways though, because from the RP perspective you can hide your face as much as you want but my Dog II will follow you scent anywhere;) Unless you teleport. Then you leave ripples in the fabric of space-time any competent mage will read as clear as crystal ball.

And then there is the issue that people do not play 24/7 so tracking someone down in game is literally impossible if they are offline. Anyway my point is that I will RP as much as the game allows to me, but unless I have a really good reasons I will not go out of my way to ignore the game-play mechanics that are there.

PS: And then I am still bit confused about people playing avatars but sometimes RPing natives to Novia, and what knowledge avatars should have and whether we are actually playing the game as avatars and interacting with Novians who actually live there, or whether we play ourselves being sucked into the Novia.

6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The way I kinda RP is something like matrix. Roughly the same person both sides of the portal to the Novian world, but the immersion is so strong you almost forget about the Outlander realm.

Default hiding names is a good idea, Maybe even a skill that reduces range of nameplate visibility. (or hides your name completely for a time)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  7. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I can understand Malice since I did a lot of RP in LotrO the same way she likes.
    Gaelis isn't a well played RP-Char ( for me and how I did RP in the past) so I don't mind to be part of Events like this, otherwise I would rather make a new Character so she would not end unplayable ( and I don't miss the fun).
    Problem with those Community Events is you can't expect all are on the same path, everyone is doing the best he can and lots are not used to follow strict Rules to RP. For some it might be even the first contact with RP, which is good....more players doing RP. :)
    For those Events fun for all comes first I think and this goal was reached without daubt.
    Its good to have someone explaining this kind of RP like Malice it was doing though.
    It is fun and challenging doing RP like this and Players new to this can try out if they like it....and get some advises and are shown how it looks like to do so.
    Without some Experience its hard to follow all those rules and thats not a problem, thats part of learning how to do.
    (for a well played RP-Char like Malice might be this part of learning maybe the end though)

8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

@Cerus, a suggestion for next rp event you develop. Perhaps one that is NOT so PvP based o_O Many SotA players love RP, but are NOT interested in lots of mass PvP battles... :(

Rentier, Net and Boris Mondragon like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Most of the objectives didn’t require killing anyone.

10. Brielle McFerson

Brielle McFerson Avatar

It was a lot of fun to do. I do it again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.