New Players Perspective

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JOSEPHHELM, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOSEPHHELM

JOSEPHHELM Avatar

Ok so I've supported this game since the kickstarter, but played it very minimally, until now. I've earned my shroud and continued to progress through the game. I see the recent changes (F2P), which I think is really good for the game, and will boost the player base. The no skill cap will completely kill this game from recruiting new players. People just run Upper Tear like players in mobile game, repeating it over and over to boost skills to an insane level. this game will never be attractive to new players. It will never have the ability to grow popular and pick up a larger audience. There will never be "skill" in this game. Maybe there is a level cap, but there is no way in hell a skill cap, if a level cap even exist. Why would anyone want to invest there time in this game? I see most people getting the shroud and realizing the difference. They pick up on the fact that people just run UT over and over.

Azzamean and Xandra7 like this.
  2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

All or nothing thinking.

3. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

There are other things you can do in this game besides leveling up your adventurer skills. There are producer skills, for example. I used to go to Upper Tears too and I disliked it. But now I am doing other things like decorating my house, fishing, and gardening, and I've met some nice people while doing those things.

Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @JOSEPHHELM . Not everyone is doing upper tears all of the time. I certainly am not. There is more to the game than that. What's going on right now is lots of changes to make the game mesh together better. If you have thoughts on that this is a good time to voice that. Devs are working hard to implement what they can. Regarding skill caps I am not sure that will change. Not sure if you are keeping up with news or watch livestreams but some information about plans for the game are given there.

I did not get the shroud and I keep very busy in game. Sometimes we do dungeon runs, sieges, or boss kills. Sometimes I craft to keep my vendor stocked or make armor or weapons. Sometimes i need to gather resources. One day i created a concert hall with bags of songs to sync with other players, well it took longer than a day ;). Sometimes i need to plant cotton or other things for ingredients. I always find a lot to do.

What is it you enjoy doing? I'm Majoria in game if I can ever assist or show you anything. :) Some Upcoming things we will be getting to name a few are an achievement system, treasure hunting, and the ability to bind to many places.

So what ever view of the game someone has I really don't think that can be called complete. This game is still in change mode until the devs and players are satisfied even though some won't ever be hopefully many will be. Imo we have the beginnings to build upon. And the devs say they are going for it. So *cheers* to the future. :)

Astirian and Jaesun like this.
  5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yes, but what the OP is pointing out - and I think, quite correctly - are the behaviours that most MMORPH gamers indulge in.

So to say there are other things to do is true. But they don't cancel out, or even take precedence over, the issues the OP raises.

Xandra7 likes this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hello and welcome back.

Some people enjoy short cuts. Remember the people in UO who would grind taming really hard and then play dragons easy-mode for years after? Grinding in order to steam roll mobs isn't our cup of tea, but for many people it's a valid and enjoyable playstyle.

But, for many high level players, UT serves a different purpose. It gives them a boost while they adventure in lower level or less rewarding scenes. From their perspective, UT is where they get experience and elsewhere is fun and adventure. This is especially true if they are disproportionately leveled from their friends or guildmates: They get in the occaisional grind to keep their character progressing while they spend much of their time socially adventuring, PVPing, crafting, and roleplaying.

Grind-centric scenes have their purpose in the game. I avoid grinding myself, but there will likely come a day when I will also make use of UT. I've been playing for 4 (pushing 5) months and that neceasity hasn't arrived yet.

But then everyone's playstyle is different.

7. JOSEPHHELM

JOSEPHHELM Avatar

An experienced player took me to UT and we did it like 4 times (4hours). I probably gained 15 levels. This game is just a grind fest competition for the highest level. You're insane if you don't think there should be a cap. I understand that most of you posting have been playing this game since forever ago...especially Majoria70...its like you've invested so much into it that you would rather stay at the top of the grind fest rather than have the game last and be successful. I've seen people solo UT like it was nothing. Ive been one shot in town by other players in pvp mode (PVP is broke). Its not too late the game can be fixed, the reviews will go up...but for now the reviews suck because the game is terrible

Azzamean likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s attenuation for leveling.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I'm the perfect example that level means nothing here after you have reached 90 (if you commit and play a good amount of time, it will take about a week), if you have a good build/deck, decent gear and you're good at playing you can simply do things (PVP/PVE) better than who is higher level.
    Still 106 here after 2 years (I hate grinding XP) i can compete without issues with level 120+ (Just took the first place at the Virtue League Tournament in the category 110+) and there are no contents i can't do in solo, there is a soft cap so after a certain level on a skill you simply get less and less benefit and the xp cost is enormously bigger (often unattainable), therefore after a certain level the difference is minimal and the skill of the player and the build determine success.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I'm a relatively new player, but I see it very differently from you. This might come down to fundamental expectations.

If gaining levels is the game for you, then, yes, you're only going to see the elevator to the top.

If adventuring is the game and levelling facilitates the game for you, then levelling too quickly is bad. Outlevelling the content you want to experience sucks out the challenge and excitement.

In my opinion, steady progression levels is desirable as it enables you to take on new adventures and new challenges one at a time. If you agree with this, then you can find level appropriate and experience enriching activities that won't rocket yoir character to end-game.

What's the big hurry, anyway? Episode two won't be for a year, maybe more. Even a casual player starting today will be level 110 by then thanks to double exp and no death penalty. But the content will be limited by the end-level of players who will have recently finished chapter 1, so 70-80. (Just a prediction but a fairly reasonable one.)

Sandbox games are about moderating your own game play. That's not an easy habit to cultivate, especially for folks who had cut their MMO teeth on more modern games, but it is essential if you want to make it here longer than a few months.

11. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I'm not sure what solution you would propose here? Players will always run out of content if they grind or power level. At least game content, I think they'll be hard pushed to run out of things to do. It's whether that appeals to them and if it doesn't then not sure they'll stay with or without a skill cap. The skill cap in UO was just annoying but you could switch skills in a few days to change your build, .I'm not sure what it added other than a chore.

Jason_M and Elwyn like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Grinders gonna grind. You can't stop it other than by making them go away. If they want to turn the GM list into a charm bracelet, that's okay with me. I'm like AL93 or so right now, been playing since persistence, and I care more about my producer level being 7 levels behind. I've done UT like twice. I have more fun playing the economic game.

It's only a grind fest to people who only see levels as a way to enjoy the game. Exp required for levels and skills increases to the point where your level "cap" is only as high as you can tolerate. Sure, you can get to level 200 on one skill, if you play 7/24 for years at the 1M/hour attenuation rate. One skill. A 1x skill. Good, now level something else while we play the game.

Astirian likes this.
  13. Sylence

Sylence Avatar

Im pretty much plateaued at 96. I don't like to play in groups, so Im solo everywhere. I was having fun in The Rise, but that has been changed and its more frustrating now than fun (please don't say, "Im level 90 and I run The Rise all day like its a level 1 dungeon", I don't care if some players can do that, I cant and I have been playing for 4 years. ) There is no place I can go that has loot that gives me a reasonable reward cycle playing solo at my level. Im not a min/max player, Im a middle of the bell curve player that does spend a LOT of time in the game grinding, but the reward cycle is not there for me any longer. I would hate to leave this game, but Im desperate to find something fun that I can work on. I HAVE decorated my house, gained many GM levels in crafting, quested, etc. I cant do UT because I don't enjoy partying up. I guess maybe this game does not have a place for solo players who are not min/maxers.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

FWIW, once they fix the incredibly long (buggy?) spawn rate of the first couple waves of skeletons in the Eastreach Gap Control Point, that would be a high end grind spot that matches UT. Better in my opinion because it isn't in a cave.

15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I'm not a min/maxer, I play an archer in light armour, far from the optimal build. Can count on my hands and feet the amount of times I attenuated ever in the game. Mainly play solo.
    Priotise producer XP and loot over XP. I will say I play a lot, I'm not a casual player. Currently adventure level 110.

Given all of the above, as a solo light armour player, I don't think there is new content I can do now that I could not do at level 95. Maybe do it faster and safer, used to die quite a lot.

So skill caps don't mean much, the soft cap works. New players think no cap means a lot because most games have exponential progression. You double in power, mainly due to the allowance of higher level gear, every 10-20 levels. Also they are still progressing through the steep return Vs XP curve. When the deminishing returns really kick in (about level 90 - 100, depending on how you spent your xp) you realise build choice (through the deck system and deck design) and gear is where the real progression is.
    Neither of these are skill or level gated, so no real reason to limit skills or level.

Regards
    Spung

Astirian, jschoice and Dhanas like this.
  16. Rekih

Rekih Avatar

alvl 82 playing solo, these are my solo kill trophies from just one week.

Never is too late ;)

[​IMG]

jschoice, Jason_M and Dhanas like this.
  17. JOSEPHHELM

JOSEPHHELM Avatar

Well I guess my perspective has somewhat changed. I didn't realize there was a soft cap of some sort. I am thinking episode 2 is the next logical step for anyone solo that feels like they have run out of content. I play with a friend, and joining a guild has really helped. I am just still trying to figure out the game I guess.

18. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

It really is an iceberg, comrade. Perhaps it is true, and always has been true, that the games single largest problem is how it is perceived. It's like a wallflower at the MMO prom that can't dance to the pop music, but take it home and ;)

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If you’re level 100 you are already beyond the ability to solo anything thats possible to solo.

Its not clear enough that your deck and gear play a wildly bigger role inwhat you can do that your levels do.

Except the crowd that must have top numbers for the hell of having top numbers, those guys are screwed

20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Skill is in creating a deck and that takes alot of it. Similar to MTG a good deck is ALL the difference. As for the no level cap, heck that is what attracts me to this game. I guess we see things differently. Also leveling is just a very small part of this game. I sometimes go weeks without entering a dungeon or a "grind" spot. I guess the ability to do so many other things than increase my skill is what keeps me logging in.

Elwyn and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.