Upgrading Tax Free Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why is this being done if not to keep the lights on and continue to employ the small crew they currently have in order to provide you and I with updates that contain bug fixes, new systems and new content?

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Fixes sure, new content, that is a bit iffy, you need a massive number of folks dropping new money into the game and I don't see lot upgrading being that draw.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

You're thinking about it all wrong man. This "everything that was done and said during kickstarter, before the game was built, before all the players that kickstarted it for a few dollars in many cases left, before the game only had a few hundred players and people still want stuff out of it and to keep playing it, for free potentially, every day, IS SACROSANCT and HOLY and must NEVER change, must NEVER adapt to the current funding circumstances and life 5 years on" is crazy sauce, for reals !

You didn't keep a PROMISE !!! It's so so silly.

Do you realize there's literally no way to make all the backers happy ? that many here that have written up dire sounding screeds and prognostications of doom still are here, talking about the game and playing it almost every single day ? And if they're banned from here, they're doing it elsewhere.... There is literally no way to make everyone happy, I can personally guarantee you that if every promise was kept, and lived up to the imaginations of the backers in their feverish Ultima dreams, there would still be people upset and complaining about some aspect of the game somewhere.....

There's probably about 1500 people paying 9 bucks a month atm based on the amount of money we start with during the free giveaways each month. far cry from 1 million people. 1 million people will never play the game, they're too busy playing Fortnite lol !!

So yeah... finding more ways to provide services to get money out of the players that enjoy it, makes sense ! Not, "you guys promised to never find ways to make any more money other than the initial 1 million for 5 years ! even if it dooms the game...." Just common sense. And if YOU personally have given enough, didn't have your promises upheld, dont' TRUST anyone, then DONT give them more cash ! Simple ! Everyone can be happy :)

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't agree with you.

Elwyn and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  5. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Nothing spells success in the long term like disregarding those who paid to get you where you are now. E.G., I HATE when wealthy surgeons drop their college sweetheart/wife for some model they would not have spoken to 10 years ago, but can only now get because of the wealth garnered by being married with kids. Be true to yourself, not to money. Else you are not true. Always and in all ways. Thank you. #BigGameBacker #BiggestByFar #KilledByAPig #WifeTooCloseToHerTwinBrother #AndHerCousin :)

6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I don't think Portalarium nor the community here can help you with those last few, but I feel for you o_O:D:D

King Robert likes this.
  7. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

The big disconnect I see again and again in this thread is thinking this is about “big backers”.
    And them wanting to keep their toys to themselves. It’s not. It is about integrity.

Port could have offered deed options to players that did not violate what they promised to early backers. It would not have been hard, they showed they could do it when they introduced TF POT deeds.

They chose not to because they either just do not care anymore, are scrambling so badly they can’t even think up alternatives, or saw how much they could get with deed upgrades and thought that was way more important than integrity and honest communication. I suspect it’s a bit of all three, but since Port will not be explaining this decision we can all just speculate.

@King Robert , I guess what I am getting at is don’t expect a public response let alone a fix from dear Lord British and company. Today it is pledge deeds, in a few months it will be something else. Port knows there is a core of players that will spend no matter what happens, and they will operate accordingly.

If this is a matter that important to you, I would say since you are such a generous backer the best thing for you to do is speak with your wallet, and close it. Only one voice Port is listening to on this one - money. I certainly don’t have anywhere near what you backed, but barring some miracle where Port elects to communicate on the topic, that’s all I can do. Clearly discussing it here, emailing support (no answer, surprise), requesting it as a topic on live-streams (not covered, surprise) doesn’t do anything. *bows out of thread*

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Cordelayne, Nick, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

You already know the answer. The game didn't reach the level of sustainability necessary on the original model because the vast majority of backers you are puporting to represent in the name of integrity left, don't play the game anymore and won't come back.

Besides steam numbers, the amount we start with each livestream, you only have to see the undecorated, unlived in backer houses to know this happened on a wide scale.

If it's a choice between "integrity" as you call it - or as I call it - rigid adherence to try to please folks that never can be pleased, and never were - and keeping the game alive so those who DO enjoy it can play it for as long as possible....

Go on, use Occam's Razor here.... what makes more sense as a choice ?

I would even argue more changes are necessary. I was against the row lot changes... but now that they are here, I see they make more sense, along with reducing their overhead. Change is necessary !

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Just one last thing before I go, since you glossed over it or missed it. You missed the whole paragraph about Port having options to add value and lots in new ways that didn’t mess with prior promises and still get them much needed revenue, and they chose not to.

I have no problem with Port needing to do things to save the game. They can choose to do those things with a modicum of respect and thoughtfulness, yet they do not seem willing or able to do it that way anymore.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I read it. Aren't player dungeons that thing ? The stuff we get for free that never was promised anywhere ? We get alot of great stuff, I got a Village lot this release and for 80 bucks I can have a Town lot if I want. That's pretty awesome.

Why would I be mad about being able to get better housing ? I don't understand it. We just approach the game differently.

For example, I'm mad that the Cabinet of Virtues got broken (and took 6 months to fix), that I lost 3 wyvverns this release because of a snafu - but I'm not attacking Port's integrity over it. They do make some decisions re communication that I think could be handled better, but I really believe the real issues are in the minds and attitudes of fans. We can agree to disagree on it.

11. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Yes, we just approach it differently.

I agree on the communication piece though ;). One thing in years past is they at least explained themselves, now it is either silence like this issue or silence followed by one way decision making like some other recent items.

Even when agreeable people can’t agree, knowing where Port is coming from and/or acknowledging this is helpful. The silence is a huge part of the problem as it says to me they just don’t care about different voices. Okay, out for reals now. Good luck out there!

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I understand the concern by Backers about things.

I think giving more rewards to the big backers any time something that was exclusive to them is made non-exclusive, would be the best option here. Also, attaching special titles to the Backer's items is the logical thing.

There should be unique designations on anything that is the lesser version. For instance, if a lot is owned by someone other than a big backer it should be called a "Keep" but big backers should get the Royal designation of "Castle" with even their donor class attached to it like "Duke's Castle". If they want their player name should be attached to it and this all should be placed on the map of the town.

Also, considering the increasing number of towns, I would not not object as a non-backer to backers getting a few extra castle lots.

Finally, did I mention that big backers should get a lifetime of free rewards. It might even be advisable to give donors over a certain level all the pledge rewards (they can always get additional sets by pledging.) It might even be advisable to give the biggest backers.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

To quote Family Matters, that solution is a lot like wearing your grandma's underwear, sure it will get you out of a pinch, but if you make a habit of it, you have a serious problem.

Long term success of SotA requires a large self sustaining playerbase, with new players coming in on a regular enough basis to offset losses. Aside from F2P, when was the last time Port added something that honestly could draw in new players or bring back folks that haven't logged in for months? How many hours did they sink into fishing? How many folks heard that SotA now has a full featured fishing system and said, "Now that's was the feature I was waiting for, let me at that game"?

Elwyn likes this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

...and it didn't stop the eternal complainers from complaining. So why should they bother? Now they've got less people and more work to do.

Barugon likes this.
  15. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

A few rotten apples doesn't spoil the bunch. Stopping communications with all of your customers because there are a few curmudgeons is a horrible strategy.

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the point was that they don't have the time to personally address every b!tch that people pitch here on the forums.

Lord Trady of Blix, Jaesun and Elwyn like this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Just my 2c: my wife and I each have a benefactor duke level pledge. And I honestly don't care that people can upgrade to keep and castle lots now. Did I believe it was exclusive? Yes. Did the marketing material imply it was exclusive? yes. But the game is full of empty lots of all sizes, including castle and keeps. I rather have a functioning, healthy game. It sucks that they've had to go back and re-evaluate their promises, but my pledge will be worth $0 if the game goes under. I see them working hard to keep the game not just viable, but growing. Are there some missteps along the way? Sure, that happens. But they really do, from what I can see, try to be proactive about addressing these issues. Sometimes it just takes a while. And sometimes they have to rethink what they've said in the past. Keep in mind, again, that the popularity of POTs completely upended the property aspect of the game as well.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Thank you for backing the game at that level and keeping a positive outlook. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

At that time, I had a very high salary because the company was afraid I'd quit otherwise (80-100+ hour work weeks, etc), so it was something that was fun to be able to do. However, since that time I left that position and took one that allows me to actually have a life outside of work and that came with a substantial pay cut (>60%). But I'm a lot happier person because of it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.