Upgrading Tax Free Lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

No need to apologize for any support you have or still are giving. It is all needed right now.

But I would not hold my breath for any reversal in the decision, or even any more official comment. Each day that goes by gets the cat further out of the bag. Roll out a big change and refrain from official discussion seems to be the way of things these days.

2. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Very true, but we have a new land mass coming. Potentially it could start there with ep2 and give ep1 pot owners an option to change over, though I know that is painful. They could just keep the same sizes and change the rent to 1/day which would make for a smoother transition, but I wanted some incentive given to switch to the new lots and size seems like it would help. I believe you could still use the upgraded lots in the old places since I think you can use a bigger lot in a smaller space. Not a perfect solution I agree but it is an option.

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Well at least it should be okay to upgrade TF POT deeds to keep/castle, using the precedent of POT water deeds, and POT keep/castle deeds, doing something that was promised away from PA deeds. And if the exclusivity was the "tax free" status, then upgrading a TF City to TF Keep is still not breaking what was exclusive. Only a taxed -> tax free conversion seems to break it, and since my understanding is that TF was an encouragement to get money into the game early (even with bundles), it wouldn't be right to allow that. I just missed getting Founder tier stuff when I started, and I'm against conversions to TF, even for POT deeds. I'm not against making more TF deeds available in the future, it is only conversions to TF that I have a problem with. And not because of "exclusive", but because I think it's a bad idea. And that has not (AFAIK) been done yet.

As for those promises, it's one thing to make them for unique items with unique skins, but yeah, it's foolish to do that about what's basically a fundamental game system, when how that game system will be used won't be fully known until years later. At the very least it should have been defined as exclusive only for a limited time period, like until Episode 2 release. From the POV of that early in development, it's just too easy to promise "exclusive" things that prove to be troublesome to implement (*cough*duke*heads*cough*).

Update: return trip not included (original pledge reward only said "to" Mars!), please enjoy these placeable deco Sub-Etha Hitching Thumbs!

You still don't have to constantly bother with it. I've only recently placed some taxable deeds (row and village), on an alt since I already had the 3xPA on my main, and I have to make sure that enough money is transferred to the alt, then make sure that I pay the taxes from the alt.

But a promise is not a contract. A contract is more formal and detailed.

Only Founder deeds, which Royal Founders and Founders received. "Benefactor" is pledges after Founder expired in mid-2015, and I know because I is one.

The "well" is only drying up if you don't dig new wells. There are many people out there now who had never heard of the game four years ago. Making certain things "exclusive" forever is throwing away your shovel.

Fortunately, another dumb decision (selling way too many POTs) managed to cancel out the dumb decision to limit housing to un-instanced lots in NPC towns.

I once made a cue-ball-sized lump of cream cheese from milk that had curdled in the fridge. It was pretty good after I added some salt.

Rufus D`Asperdi, K1000 and Godra like this.
  4. Lained

Lained Avatar

Any decision on upgrading to keep/castle?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll just put in my 2¢: I think it's good the way it is.

K1000 likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

At least on the current QA build, I'm able to upgrade a POT deed and a TF PA deed all the way through to Castle.

K1000 likes this.
  7. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

The release notes don’t say anything different than what has already been done (upgrading all the way to castle for all deed types). I guess we indirectly have our answer, once again without an official statement other than silence.

K1000 likes this.
  8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I am all for moving on.... What was, was, what is, is …… nuff said...… Move forward Sota…. leave the past behind and freaking move forward …..

Apollo31, Jaesun and Ravenscar like this.
  9. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think at this point it's clear a significant influx of new players aren't coming without a significant overhaul of the game . There aren't sufficient resources for an overhaul , so the game's continued existence requires funding from the existing player base. Doing something that 80% are happy with, like these upgrades, will allow a one time influx of funding at the cost of 20% of people no longer trusting port and either ceasing or limiting future contributions. If they keep chipping away at contributors in the long run for short term grabs, they're going to be left with a contributing base far too small to support the game. As others have suggested, just create some new plot sizes either slightly larger or smaller than the current ones and work around it that way. Heck, make them able to be used on existing castle etc., lots just give them slightly less usable space on claiming.
    And communicate better and don't use terrible excuses like the 'person who made these promises is no longer with the company'. If the company didn't keep an oversight on things like that and approve them, then the people running the company have no business running a company.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    K1000 likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I own just a couple of Village lots short of enough land deeds to fill a Player Owned Village by myself...
    The ability of others to upgrade their lots to whatever size or type impacts their value to me not in the least.

Do what is best for the game looking forward, not back.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

The impact on any player is not the reason for keeping one's word.
    The old adage tells the story of a multi billionaire who seduces a beautiful woman by the promise of a billion dollars in exchange for her physical love.
    She agrees, and the billionaire responds 'how about $1.00 for sex, then?'
    Offended, the great beauty protests with 'for what kind of woman do you take me, sir?'
    The billionaire responds 'madam, that has been established. You are a whore. On that we both agree. We solely disagree on the price for which your services will be sold'.

A man's word has no price. Ever.
    A man who breaks his word for his own gain has nothing to offer the world but the unmitigated whims of his id. Which translates to, videlicet, nothing.
    The measure of a man is his conduct when the implications are against his self-interest, but secure his moral conviction.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

"Break" a promise to quell the ignoble whining of the Nobles... no, not Nobles, that implies nobility... Let's called them Titled instead, or see the whole endeavor die.
    Which would prefer?

And to date, they've made every reasonable effort to stay true to the myriad promises that were made.

Elwyn and Sentinel2 like this.
  13. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I prefer a man to keep his word, as understood, when funds were exchanged.
    Contract law.
    Honor.
    And I know @LordBritish will not let down his backers, present and future. I know it.
    And no matter the honor, or lack thereof, of those who paid for something exclusive, if it is not honored, it is the promise breaker who dishonors his legacy. And contractual obligations.
    Doing what is right when you wish to does not define a man. Doing it when you don't, but know it is right, does.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, I take it then, "Your Majesty", that you would rather Shroud of the Avatar cease to exist before breaking some promise you feel was made to you.
    That would be the only right thing to do, wouldn't it?

Death before dishonor?

You a married man, "Your Majesty?" Is Robert Baratheon, a traitor and rebel against his King a hero of yours?

Cordelayne, Sentinel2 and Godra like this.
  15. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Rufus, there are ways Port could have kept its word without dying or whatever it is you are saying. And asking a company to keep its word when millions were given to it is not Titled, entitled or whatever derogatory word you choose to use. It called keeping your word, which is most important when it is hard to do. They had other options and chose whatever was easiest.

These guys clearly don’t even care about those promises, not one bit. They could at least explain themselves, but instead hide in silence. I feel so foolish for trusting these guys with my time and money.

It may because they see enough dozens of players who will spend no matter how they get treated. To which I say, you deserve one another. Good luck out there.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Bullshit.

Elwyn, Sentinel2, Godra and 2 others like this.
  17. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Let’s see if @DarkStarr, @Lord British or @Chris ever bring this topic up again or explain themselves before you use that word.

King Robert likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They have explained every deviation they've made from what was advertised in the Kickstarter.
    Even in this self-same thread @Chris said he was going to go research what was 'Promised' to see if they were violating one of them.

Sentinel2, Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  19. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I notice Chris hasn’t come back yet. After initially saying these would be removed. So yeah, I don’t think they are going to respond.

They clearly aren’t reversing this after more than a week live. Someone above nailed it - perhaps a majority if people are fine with this, so that plus the money are all that matters to Port. Those of us that do care aren’t even worthy of a timely response.

20. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

In short, yes. I pledged LoM2 (2x) Duke (2x) and LotI (once) because I believe (and believed) that was promised would be delivered. Else honor does not exist and nothing is worth doing. I believe in Port. and Lord B. They will honor their word. I have no doubts. Else why play this game? If what we buy or earn is subject to whimsy then why waste the time and money to achieve or purchase anything? The game is amazing if they keep their word and renew their devotion to those who paid to make this game more money will follow. As I showed by my actions and as have been witnessed by the actions of others move invested than I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.