Whether there will be weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mingo, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The elements become the user and the user becomes the elements... all sounds very magical to me :D I'm a fan of that idea getting more of my development $

There could also be some residual effects of not being able to resist the elements flowing through you and uncontrollably striking things around such a higher spell user. Thus if "Sparky the Mage" is a member of your hunting party or your community and he knows these "Special Higher Elemental Spells"... then Sparky may need some time alone or engaged in solo combat because he can't control himself... Thus go deep enough into the study of magic and there is consequences for knowing or learning such a high powered ability.

Owl's Head Pub;
    Steve the Bard: "Hey I think it's going to start raining outside, maybe we need to wait before we head on to the next town".
    Pepe the Barkeep: "Oh ya, looks like some lightning and a bit of the wind too"
    *Sparky the Mage runs out the door*
    Steve the Bard: "Hey Pepe, where's he going"?
    Pepe the Barkeep: "ahh, don't mind him. That's just Old Sparky's ways. Ya see, he met a girl who needed to free her sister from atop volcano, so Sparky loved the girl so much that he trained himself the ~twisting storm spell~ which once known can't ever be forgotten in marriage with the sky. Ya see that nice new round window over there do ya?
    Steve the Bard: "I do"! Very nice but it looks to be set a bit low on the wall there...
    Pepe the Barkeep: Well that was first no window I tell ya. Just after Old Sparky saved the poor girl, he was in here drinking on the Special Brew and another big storm came a brewing. He was just sitting there sipping his drink when all of a sudden a lightning bolt shot out from Old Sparky's back side! Well that great bolt, went strait through the wall, hit the tree, knocked over the lumberjack axe, cutting the tail off a mouse, the mouse jumped the river, startling the fisherman, missing the cast, hooking the good Lord Brit's pants and pulling them round his ankles. Old Sparky's been a duckin good Lord Brit ever since.

Pepe the Barkeep: "It's a cause and effect thing ya know".
    Steve the Bard: "Aye, it would seem a matter of consequences"

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

Yeah, it would be awesome like the old D&D druid spells. Some kind of combo where a player change weather before cast a lightning spell. Reminds me D&D druid spell Lightning, you only can cast it outdoors and do more damage during storms.

Would be nice have some spells that could only be casted in specific weather conditions too or even only in day/nighttimes.

Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was just thinking on weather really messing up your garden and plants outside...Maybe your character could feel the cold in the evening and decide he needed to cover up the plants and garden to keep them from freezing...

Maybe there is a huge rainstorm that literally destroys your crops...Maybe there is a drought that kills your favorite apple tree...

I love the immersion weather could bring to the game.

Mingo, Mishri and Time Lord like this.
  4. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--Possible weather affects:
    1) Fire magic spells affected by rain ( I remember that "wall of fire" spell in old UO)
    2) "Blast" magic (Corp Por!) affected by strong winds, as well as sailing being affected
    3) Ranged attacks affected by wind, rain, snow...darkness?
    4) Lightning affecting use of swords and effectiveness of metal armor. ("I fear no lightning!" proclaimed Lord Jackass as he raised his sword on high. Alas, those were his final words.)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  5. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

I really, really want dark nights outside towns. I love torches and I want to see the old dillema "should I hold the shield or the torch here?".

Ah, and nightsight potions are awesome, specially if they make it looks like Cat potion from Witcher.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  6. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I too love the idea of magic (and other combat?) being affected by weather conditions. I hope they add that (if not too complex for the dev team).

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I would love weather to create a 'fog of war' that a skilled outdoorsman could see farther through than say a city dwelling rogue. It would make for very interesting cat and mouse combat out in the wild. Could work in cities too, with fog or shadows....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

One of the stretch goals we reached/passed when they made that weather demo was for "weather with game changing effects" so I expect to see something at some point. Obviously stretch goals getting implemented are not a priority, making the game as promised is.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Dude, you drank the cool aide. The stretch goals should be considered promises. We gave money specifically to get those stretch goals. You are letting them off the hook. To renege on the stated money=result will be another let down. Not unexpected at this point, but a let down none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

How am I letting them off the hook? They don't have to make the stretch goals happen before they get the core game done. They are doing the features by priority, and those stretch goals are pretty low priority considering core game features, like combat, housing, crafting, multiplayer.

NRaas likes this.
  11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

The game 'as promised' includes the stretch goals. If they can't do it, they should never even have mentioned it. The stretch goals should have been absolutely achievable in the scope of their design.

12. Kallendal

Kallendal Avatar

I want there to be like. Incredibly BAD weather occasionally.

Hurricanes

MASSIVE BLIZZARDS!

oooo, just think how tornado and folks with basement could prove a great asset.

Doubt it can be taken that far, BUT IF IT COULD! That would SO ROCK!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.