BEST SKILL TRAINING!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flytripper, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If its a skill I use often in combat, I dont bother building a pool for it, using it anyways. But when it comes to skills like torpor, that I only use to teleport if I'm super encumbered, and stuns you for like 8 seconds, and uses regs, I would build a pool for skills like that, then put on guidance pot, and the lost vale learning blessing if I can too, and mentored if im below 100. Then I make a deck for training. If the skills dont use much focus, I use feedback to train then making me cast WAY faster therefore train way faster. for the skills that use heavy focus and will kill me with feedback, I use spellbinders stance. What most people dont realize is that you can reset your dynamic cooldowns by going out and back into combat. So those skills that have 30 second cooldowns, you just make sure you have cast all the copies you have in your dynamic deck, then get out of combat. I will make a video showing this, you can really save a TON of time training like this.

Jason_M, Jaesun, Dhanas and 3 others like this.
  2. Katu

Katu Avatar

No, I did not miss that. I even stated that you are right with your statement.

But, when asked for BEST method, you are wrong. Your way is long and hard for many skills. Dumping xp straight to skill works with main fighting skills, that you use very often and have low cooldown. Ie. Gaining swords main skill, for example, sees no benefit with pooling. Just dump everything there and it gains what it gains.
    However, for example, fire ring, that I just today raised to 80, with 5M pool. It still took hundreds of castings, even if it used 10k at best from pool, per cast. Imagine raising it in combat, with always empty pool. Some cast would not even have xp to draw from pool. Thats slow.
    Op asked for best method and its pooling. It saves reagents for spells, materials for crafting.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Barugon likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've tried this and when I go back to combat mode, the heat timer is right where it would be if I just stayed in combat mode. I'll give it another look though.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Dynamic, not locked. training with locked skills is WAY WAY slower, once you at max heat you only getting one cast per cooldown time, where as dynamically, you get a cast per glyph, per cooldown, so at 80 no spec, 5x faster, and that is without reseting the cooldowns like I said above. Doing that is even faster.

Feeyo, King Robert, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Cool. Thanks for that.

King Robert likes this.
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, made a video to show it, save myself a lot of typing.

Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes.. and no. This is a matter of perception. It's even slower to earn all that XP first and then dump it into the skill. The advantage of pooling XP is reducing the reagent/material cost, but it's not overall speed unless you dismiss the time took to earn the XP in the first place. It feels faster because you can see 'faster' gains while actively training and the overall time input gaining XP has been broken up.

I think there is a certain sweet spot with the pool between XP gain and XP added to skills. If on average you're using XP faster than you're earning it then yes it's going to be that much slower if you let your pool bottom out. But XP = time spent.. and XP in the pool is XP not in your skills.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The time is take to gain exp is based on what you are doing and how many skills you are training AND what level training skills are.

Now if you go to UT you can be there and not even be playing and get 1mil exp in 20 minutes, so you actually used zero "time"

The simple answer is YES, it pays to stop training skills and gain a larger Xp pool. This has been shown in MANY threads, and tutorials.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The only time that it's beneficial to stop training a skill is if it's expensive (as in reagents or materials) or you want to train something else. Of course this has already been covered multiple times in this thread.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not everyone is familiar with every acronym.. I see that and I immediately think Utah..

Feeyo likes this.
  11. flytripper

flytripper Avatar

Barugon sorry i never ran out of xp but im only lvl 85 . Tho I did my own test i set 5 skills for advancing and killed 100 naughty brats, my bow skill barely moved. I then set only bow skill alone to advance and after 100 naughty brats i got 2 lvls!! never ran out of xp, my pool stayed around 130k. its easier to tell at my lower levels . THANK YOU everyone for your input.

Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Skill training . . .
    Multiple skills has been covered . .
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...own-and-dirty-and-simple.119258/#post-1000685

I covered Innates and skills, Innates go up at the same time skillz only if that skill is used.
    Bow is not a skill there are 5 Innates and (6 special) and 6 Individual skills - if oyu have more than one innate set to gain those points are applied are spread out, Each gain = same # oints if one innate then they all go into one if 4 then divide by 4.

13. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I recently raised my swordsmanship skill (Blades) from 100 to 120. Despite fighting a mixture of high exp rewarding scenes (including one go of UT ohtheshame), I consumed millions from my pool. Thanks to my large pool, it occured in just a few short hours across 2 play sessions. Piece of cake... except for wrecking my exp pool. Still recovering from that.

That's annecdotal, of course, but it is quite clear: Skill management is a necessary part of the classless system. There are more than one strategy, and you should use the one that is most fun for your playstyle. In other words, manage your skills, don't become a greedy grind-slave :p

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.