Penalties for PKing and Looting. (Suggestions Only)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Skalex, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im all for consequences

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

It a progression. At the lowest level, PvP is by agreement. In a duel, both parties agree to fight. In an arena match, both teams agree to fight. These are sporting events, with rules, not war.

A guild war is war, but it is a limited war. Two or more guilds agree to fight, but no one else. If SotA includes factions, that's a step up from a guild war, but it is still limited to only faction members.

None of these PvP types will get you flagged, except to your opponent. None of this is illegal at all.

Open PvP introduces the possibility of a criminal act. Stealing is a criminal act for which you can be flagged. Assault is a criminal act. Murder is most definitely a criminal act. In a game based on virtue, crime is an important element, but it is an unpleasant element that not everyone enjoys.

Open PvP is by consent, but by adding the element of criminal actions, Open PvP offers something that isn't available elsewhere.

Skalex likes this.
  3. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Age of Wulin (Europe)
    Age Of Wushu (USA)

I would urge all the people who posted on this thread to play this game (It's free2play) and then give feedback on its ideas, Most of the stuff mentioned here is already a standard of this game, Players kill for money (looting), High level characters can Gank Newbs, Players get flagged for murder, Players characters are persistent online even when offline, Players offline can be kidnapped and sold into slavery, Murderers can be hunted down for ransoms and put in jail, Persistent offenders (characters) can be permanently executed by the state.

I wanted to like this game and do (with reserve) but it is really hard work getting leveled up and as a casual player it seems almost impossible to keep up as you are always being Ganked by high level players for money, I think the game is it's own worst enemy and makes it very difficult for new players and casuals to play and enjoy.

All this **** needs to be reviewed by the Dev's of SOTA as whats in AOW is not Ultima to me and i would hate to see this game spoiled by stuff i see bandied about in this thread.

4. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

sounds like a huge grief fest...not what I would want to see at all. You should be able to level (or whatever you want to call it) gather rescources etc with little to no threat from players...PKing/PVP should be mostly endgame unless you as a newbie wander into areas you don't belong ie high level. If a player want to try to kill youngsters it should be a life threatening long ardous journey just to get to these areas alive...as you progress and hit the mid level stuff it should be easier for the PKs to get to you but by then it should be a close to even fight...jmo.

Miganarchine and Skalex like this.
  5. Curt

Curt Avatar

In some mmo's they seems to be able to scale down chars to another's level, could it be done so that if a high level PvP initate combat with a low level he is scaled down?

6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

@Curt, I'd rather not alter players' skills personally.

However, you did give me an idea about getting a bigger penalty for killing a younger players.
    Meaning, the bigger the age gap (total time in game) between the older Murderer, and the younger victim, the bigger the penalty.
    Bigger negative virtue penalty as well.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

Since if there will be open PvP, it will only be by consent, you have your wish.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

I hope it's not a flag thing...personally I'd rather have a server wide choice..PVP PVE and RW/RP would be great.

9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Is a perfect example of how grief killing frenzy are done. On top of that it's a perfect way of showing why bounty's do not work, me and my friend collect huge prices on our heads and then kill each other to split the huge profit.

Miganarchine likes this.
  10. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

I used to do that with one of my ex-gf, years ago, on a UO RP shard that had bounty system. But instead to killing (only) players to increase our head's prices, we was killing blue NPCs on a unprotected village. The whole thing had a RP context behind, but I can't help but think that as exploiting...

The only "bounty system" that I think might work is one who takes the money from the criminal and gives to its killer.

11. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

The only problem again with that is that a friend could kill you and take the reward and split it with you.

I think if there does end up being bounty involved, that it should be generic, and set by and provided by the crown. It could be higher the more kills the murderer has.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

My hope is that there really isn't scaling to begin with. So you don't need to bother scaling up or down.

Guildwars2, for example would have been perfect, if they'd simply never put any scaling it. There's that small amount of time to learn to use a new weapon and then the choices of what to slot...but gaining levels just gets you more choices, rather than giving you two things at once.

13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Just my two cents, I think scaling was what made GW2 so great! You couldn't scale up, so you sort of kept at your level, but high levels could come down. It made the older zones infinitely useful as an 80 could get XP in the starter zones and play/team with lower level friends. I really liked it.

I would like to see some sort of scaling in SotA only so that it could bring people together and make the low level areas maintain a population, instead of having everyone move on. It's good for networking and meeting new players IMO.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're misunderstanding me. Just don't have the power scaling by level at all. So there's nothing to correct for. Make no different between level 1 and 40, if there are levels at all.

15. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

In order to further limit the movements of murderers while they travel on the world map, perhaps, every so often, they could be sucked into Scenes.

The Scenes could take place on the type of hex they are currently on.
    They could be SPO scenes or FPO (Assuming groups can travel together on the map.)
    It could be scenes where the guard's men or a pack of vigilantes or (insert other group) have tracked you down or spotted you and engage to hunt you.
    The scenes could be more and more difficult to escape depending on the murder/penalty count you have.
    They could also be more frequent and more difficult if the murderers are traveling in a group. (Again assuming you can travel in groups on the map)

Zeke0123 likes this.
  16. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

How about just temporarily flagging criminal acts as a trigger for a guard to attack if they see it, or are hailed in a guard zone?

If you keep it all outside of town, and don't step inside with "fresh blood on your hands" I don't see why they guards would care. On the other hands, if you try your luck inside town, you better be watching your back for guards.

Also - whilst guards might be able to take numbers and kick butt, perhaps they shouldn't be teleporting, all seeing, instakillers? This allows towns vs towns raids and the ability to enforce territory through organised might.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  17. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

Well I would think an infamous murderer would have a "wanted" poster or some such.

18. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

Bountys should be NPC driven and they should be fairly relentless...the "Reward" for player collecting the bounty should be notoriety or some other incentive to keep it from being exploitable...jmo.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Guards might also have the duty of patrolling the roads and keeping them safe for travellers and commerce. Which also would mean if you avoided their patrols you could get away with a crime, but if you gained notoriety, they might hesitate to let you in the gate, and may want to arrest you.

Skalex and Uzume like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea I agree.. some people say that bounties should be handled by players, but the players you may need to rely on aren't going to be online all the time, so you shouldn't be forced to rely on players to deal with that sort of thing.

Zeke0123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.