player-run servers for SoTA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodchuck, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

i dont believe Sota would be struggling to attract legitimate paying customers if they would allow legitimate Pvp and un nerf everything like the OP suggests.

Woodchuck likes this.
  2. Delene

Delene Avatar

In the past, I've loved player run servers with all their mods and lore adjustments that made them all unique. So many worlds to travel. Someone mentioned NWN and I loved those worlds.

Funcom was able to be successful doing it with Conan Exiles and I've again been enjoying a lot of unique worlds because of it. Funcom's model is a little different from SOTA in that the game is not free. You cannot enter any of those worlds without traveling through the 'gate' (Steam), and the game must be purchased even if you choose a private server over the official ones. Also, they release downloadable content that also must be purchased from Funcom if a player wants to use the content anywhere.

If I'm not wrong, they also offer server space for people who want to run their own servers for a monthly fee.

If I remember right, one difference between NWN and Conan Exiles is that in NWN, you could use the same character you built to go into the different worlds, even though none of your property would be there. In Conan Exiles, you need to start a new character on each server.

But wouldn't it be great to be able to visit the different worlds? I'd love to see a pirate world and a viking world, a more adult world, a dance party/social world, etc., modded to people's different imaginations, and I know there are people in this community with the programming skills to do it.

Also, a few harsh pvp worlds to attract hardcore pvpers,with different themes and rules. So an option to fit everyone. Just make it so we can run between them all to keep them populated depending on events going on in different places.

Really, I think that would attract people, not destroy the game. Portalarium could work on big world things that would add to all the servers, like new big dungeons or added land, and deco packages to purchase, and give server owners free reign to create and see what attracts people the most. Also still with the $9.00 subs that give us unique things each month.

To me, it wouldn't destroy the game. It would make it more interesting.

smack and Woodchuck like this.
  3. Bambie

Bambie Avatar

I remember suggesting this awhile back but many people didn't like the idea because they lack an imagination.

smack and Woodchuck like this.
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

at the very least, player-run servers could prolong the enjoyment of SotA should anything happen to the official servers

smack likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

If it ever gets to that point, they should just throw everything up on GitHub for us to muck with.

Woodchuck likes this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Open Source SotA ftw!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.