Please, for the Love of the Virtues, Fix the Maps!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

You lumped Maps under "little things." Maps are an in-your-face, non-optional tool almost EVERY player and especially new ones you're trying to retain use. It ties into housing, questing and exploring...basically every aspect of your game is tied to the maps. That is not "little." Somone mentioned in this thread that you even advertise it as a feature. Features are "little?"

This community has repeatedly pleaded to you to fix broken stuff. It is OUR priority. We don't know how to make it any clearer to you guys. Throwing new stuff at us is not going to make us forget about the broken things since we see them daily and repeatedly.

The only message I got from this wall of text from you is that Maps or not a priority when, IMHO, they are a huge priority. I'm sure you know that this problem will just keep getting worse if it's ignored.

That is so cool of you, however they need to take ownership of their own content. What I think they should do is start making use of fans as a resource for this stuff. I don't know about the financials or the legals but I certainly know it can happen because it does in other games. I don't understand what the problem is. Would you be willing to work officially for them in a volunteer capacity? Perhaps for in-game rewards as payment, Etc

My POT has a map but it's upside down. All of the buildings in my town look like they're in the ocean. When I paid to upgrade the town, which is no effort on the part of the developers except checking a few boxes so I can get more Deco and NPCs and buildings, I asked them to just simply rotate my map. I was told there was no time.

I would completely accept that if they were working on the maps at all and we had to wait our turn because I think the adventure zone maps are clearly more important at this point, but since it was brought up, there it is.

The poll exists. It may be a year old but it's still active and it's linked in my original post above. Have at it

You're kidding me! The used the maps as a feature in their please come back email?!

Whoever wrote that obviously is not a player this game. That is super frustrating.

When they "launched" that was the number one reason why it was the single most weird and premature launches I have ever seen of an MMO. And I've seen quite a few since I've beta tested many of them.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    smack, FrostII, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

One of my titles was Phoenix Republic's Cartographer... I maintained the maps for several of the PR towns, including Port Phoenix, Sparrowfall and Silverhold... So up until they moved the maps over, I kept them up to date, and that included landmarks, street names, etc.

I would LOVE to be able to do that again, and it probably would get me playing the game MORE, as I really enjoyed doing that stuff!
    (I also used to be Postmaster General for the Phoenix Republic, until Portalarium implemented the mail system... Not everything needs to be (fully) automated! Leave things to the community so they have something to band together over!)

3. Lace

Lace Avatar

Just FYI i verified the in game tool for POT owners still work fine (provided your pot was added to the master tool)

Here are a couple videos I have done on the subject

I think I am slurring my words in this one, muahahah , but you will get the point

4. Lace

Lace Avatar

With how the current system is for updating the maps, only the owner logged in can do it via the tool afaik, but town stewards should have that access, maybe they do, I seem to recall a discussion for it at some point. Maybe this is low hanging fruit that on login to the map system in place, since it knows the owner it can know you are a steward and be able to edit the maps like I showed in my video. I have not tested this but maybe you can, or maybe we can get a jira, it is a permission thing that to my mind should be an easy thing.

Elwyn and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  5. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hey hun while your map may be currently rotated, try to use the labels you can place for it as a bandaid perhaps as I show in the videos? its not what you want but, it may help folks navigate your pot.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  6. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

How hard would it be, though, to add a rotation toggle?

7. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

I did not lump maps as a whole under "little" things. What I was referring to was "broken" features of the map such as LOT automation (the act of taking lots from in game and displaying them on the map's web interface). I have stated many times over that this feature is not 100% up to speed and there are some instances where LOTs are rotated/mirrored incorrectly. For a large portion of POTs however, this feature is functional and positions/rotations are displayed correctly. Is that a valid excuse? No. However, we simply do not have the bandwidth right now to isolate these cases of LOTs and houses not displaying correctly for some POTs because it's more than just a simple issue of data management. There's an entire layer of complication that lies between the game data and the web data for maps and it's not trivial in the slightest. I have spent a great deal of time looking into this when we had a larger team; every case was a bit different and I never figured out exactly why. This meant that some maps had to be special cased when converting the data which was not (as you can tell) sustainable in the long run.

In regards to questing and using the map in-game: the dynamic population of POIs on "My Layer" based on your character's current quest and knowledge is functional and has been for quite some time. There are other non-functional issues such as missing content but that falls to the art department also not having a large amount of bandwidth.

I'm not going to sugar coat it: we have missing maps, the LOT automation is not fully functional, the plugin we use to display the maps can be horrendously slow on some machines and/or cause crashes. When I took this over my primary focus was to patch things up so that the bulk of the map worked for the majority of the people - which means the position and rotation of your avatar's arrow marker while in the game + dynamic POIs lined up correctly with the landscape around you. Anything beyond that is a bonus at this point due to our small team size and time constraints.

8. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Thanks for the honest reply... What about (optionally) allowing stewards/officers access to the map tool? That would help at least for the POT maps...
    The base maps for zones should be auto-generatable from the Unity zone maps, and I'm certain there'd be volunteer cartographers that would update the details in exchange for custom titles and in-game stuff!

9. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Honest reply? Hell, thank you @Undone for replying. Mad respect for that!

10. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Unfortunately the whole system was integrated into the account system and didn't get finished before the event we shall not speak of. In the current state map editor tools are only available to devs (to my knowledge).

Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I could edit my map about a month ago.

I just checked White Hart and the edits are there.

12. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

I obtained my POT via trade on 7/28/2016. It's still not on any maps, even after several support tickets and requests over 4 years. It's also one of the several request I've had that have not changed as a reason I don't really play anymore. In fact, it's one of the things I told myself would need to be resolved to come back. So we'll see.

Gia2, Ataniiq, Greyfox and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.