Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Black Screen issues

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Raven Swiftbow, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

05/15/2019 19:42
    Title: Black Screen Issues
    Reproduction Rate: Uncertain how to quantify
    Blocker? Yes!
    Details:
    - Starting a couple of months ago (it was after we upgraded to the newer Unity I think, which I also think we have since rolled back?) I started having intermittent "black screen" crashes. The description is as follows:

-- I have SotA running. I might/might not also have Firefox and Discord running. Nothing else.
    -- All of a sudden my two monitors go black, but I have sound for about a minute. No one in Discord can hear me, but if I have the music in the game running I will hear the music for a few seconds. Then just black screens but the computer is still running. I have to hard-power it down.

At first I blamed Firefox. But it happened when I did not have Firefox open.
    Likewise with Discord. It has happened when I was not running Discord.

I assumed it was a video card issue. I contacted Nvidia and they had me roll back my driver with a clean install. I was hoping this would take care of it - and it seemed to help a little.

Then, one time when it happened - JUST before the screens went black I saw a Unity Error message flash across the screen in the game.

Steps to Reproduce:
    - I'm not exactly certain how to repro it reliably. Note that my rig isn't top of the line, but it's not shabby either.
    - My hope is that you can see it in my crash logs - and am hoping that the log is getting sent out during the minute after my screens go black, but I'm not certain.
    - Has anyone else had this issue? (Note: I have 4 accounts and a total of 8 characters. If you need more info from me, feel free to pm me.)

Thanks!! This has put a serious crimp on my already limited play time. :(

P.S. The "Debug" code below won't help because I can't launch a bug report when my screens go black. So after restarting my machine, when I got back into the game I hit the bug report button just so you could see my rig's info....

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16300
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU RAM: 2007
    SotA.Win.64.973.Date.05.14.19
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01a_template/Falling Waters Fortress
    Area Display Name: Falling Waters Fortress
    Loc: (-27.8, 38.2, 113.9)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxGYWxsaW5nIFdhdGVycyBGb3J0cmVzc3woLTI3LjgxNywgMzguMTg0LCAxMTMuOTA1KXwoMCwgMC45MDcsIDAsIC0wLjQyKXwyMjkuNjk0NHwxMHwzLjE0NDk0Ng==

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Avatar

I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms.

I can also confirm I can keep moving my character after the screen goes black.
    I watch him moving around from my second pc.

4. Alley Oop

system stats please

5. Alley Oop

that's just your location and the camera's location, direction, and zoom. unless it's happening reliably in a particular spot it's probably not relevant here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.