1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Public Facing Information Channels

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Feb 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is not intended to bash the team, nor the work that is being done as I understand it is challenging to keep the game running as well as maintaining and improving it. I acknowledge this is low priority, but I would argue that the benefits of keeping information updated pays off in the end. TLDR: I get that the team is busy, but please keep information current on the website/forums/Steam.

Please consider your public facing information channels. First, the website and forums. I (and others I am sure) have become accustomed to regular monthly updates and the patch notes that arrive the day before a release. This month, although there were some draft notes published through Google Docs (which appear to be updated and current as of now), there was no official announcement thread in the forums with the patch notes. Nor was there an "article" posted on the website with those patch notes as has been done consistently in the past.

Second, the Steam store. When I downloaded yesterday's patch (R75) I clicked on "View Updates" while I waited for the download. It brought me to the page for R73 from December. Please note that even with regular patches to the release, clicking on "View Updates" brings you to older notes or posts about the game, not the actual current patch notes.

As a regular, this isn't so much of a problem for me as I can easily navigate with a few clicks to get the information I want. However, I am thinking of prospective or new players. The impression I believe they may receive is that the game is not being regularly maintained or is in decline or, worse, dying. And this game is not dying.

Please consider devoting the extra effort of keeping some of these public facing information channels current. It's one of those "soft" marketing techniques that helps to promote the game as something that is regularly maintained and updated.

Thank you for taking the time to read what is ostensibly a low priority issue. :)

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I saw some Steam players wondering what was up with the news there just the other day. It is a bad impression, for sure.

Drilikath likes this.
  3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It's simply a streamlining thing and yes, I'm not entirely happy yet as I hash out how I want to do it. Previously, there were 4 varieties of updates, each with different requirements and nuances to maintain. Now, it'll be an "always Friday" update.

I posted the update first thing this morning and the mailer is coming soon, as it is now Friday. Delaying our announcement for a release by 1 day also helps us to ensure we patched in a stable build and its ready for people by the next day. It also gives us time to listen to feedback on the release for 1 day before making the official announcement (one more day of draft notes review).

The draft notes were publicized in Discord, Twitter and Facebook and posted in the forums in the Announcements area. I think next month, I'll also put a very small article on the main webpage also pointing people to the draft notes.

As for the R75 release notes not being published, they were always published on Friday, the Play Instructions concept is now combined with the draft notes concept. Today, you'll see R75 info going out everywhere, no worries on that.

So... in a nutshell, its a player facing press release every Friday, but on the Wednesday before Release, you'll have a publicized draft notes. But like I said, I'll do a little better next month and make sure that the next draft notes also receive a spot on the webpage for those relying only on that method for notification. We will not be sending out a mailer about draft notes however. Mailers will be going out on Friday only (or during misc sales campaigns).

Hope this helps. And great feedback! I'll be sure to get those draft notes publicized even more for you Thursday players. I only missed 1 spot, and it was a big one. :)

4. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

@Elgarion In the past, the release notes were published on either Wednesday or EARLY Thursday before the update. The draft of the release notes were published a few days before that to allow for the public to chime in on the editing. The Friday Avatar's update was NOT THE UPDATE, but instead a reinforcement that included a link/copy to update notes.

5. Elgarion

Oh ya, I definitely know how it WAS done... :p Trying to avoid that 4 versions of the same thing concept each with formatting nuances (Play Instructions, Release Update, Weekly Update, Draft Notes)… and get it down to 2 technically, since I plan to still do draft notes (those are very helpful to get insight from the community as I create the notes.) It was VERY time consuming to juggle all of the versions. Time I can spend doing other helpful things.

I think a simple solution will be to make the release notes publish on Thursday by 900AM CT. Still gives me my 1 update per week goal, and it's just 1 aberration, they always come on Fridays except release week, where you get it on Thursday. Thoughts?

FrostII and Magnus Zarwaddim like this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

That would work. At least then we get release day notes, and things that happen the weekend of the launch can get news priority.

Consider updating Steam to link to the Weekly Updates page on the website when they click. Then it seems more up to date.

FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Elgarion

Hmmmmm. Steam, yup. Looks like it isn't an auto-feed and still shows R73 as latest info. I'll check into getting access and making sure that stays updated each week as well.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.