Should Exploiters be...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Apr 13, 2020.

?

Should Exploiters be Banned or other?

1. Ban them

42.2%
  2. Temp long term ban/roll back

19.5%
  3. Roll back

11.7%
  4. Reset / Roll back of stolen xp.

29.9%
  5. Other

27.9%
  6. Publish character names that exploit allowing players and markets to deal with them.

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Incentives for reporting exploitable bugs seems to be the key here.

Xiones and OzzyOsbourne like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Actually, the root cause is that systems aren’t checked and tested. And then you catch them before they happen. You can’t possibly check everything though, but you can help eliminate most of them.

Take for example the repeatable quests when 10 x xp. I could have provided an entire list of repeatable quests. You could have checked that first. I didn’t see any post asking to check those. And here we are....

Xiones, OzzyOsbourne and Sulaene Moon like this.
  3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Yeah. Players ARE the bad guys imo. There are some players who seek out exploits and do whatever they can to get an advantage in the game. This is different than players who find the exploit and report to the devs and stop using the exploit. I'd say there's a larger chunk of players who just play the game and don't get involved in it. I'd be curious to see data/metrics on player behavior regarding how many players regularly use exploits and do not report them - but knowing what you're doing in-game IS an exploit is half the battle.

What I've always wanted to see in SOTA is something on the server side that can detect known exploits and zero day exploits that are reported to the devs, and then integrated into an alert system that gives the player who is abusing the exploit a system message or warning that lets the player know the exploit IS known by the dev team and please stop using it. This gives the player the opportunity to stop abusing the exploit and the earlier they stop, the easier remediation would be when it comes to reversing account bans or other punishment on the player's game account. In cases where the exploit is viewed as not harmful to the game, the alert system wouldn't be applied to the exploit. The system would still be able to detect players actively using exploits without giving the players a warning messages, etc. Guessing it would be too much administration for a smaller dev team though.. but I think fairness is important when it comes to online gaming. Obvious cheaters shouldn't be rewarded.

Valve uses VAC - Valve Anti-Cheat system, as an example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Sulaene Moon and Violet Ronso like this.
  4. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Criss les poubelles au vidange tabarnak

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.