1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Ulfheim could use some QoL

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Echondas, Apr 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I love the new Ulfheim scene and want to go there more often and do the Dragon Tooth quest(10x quest xp!) but unfortunately it's hard to find anyone doing it and literally the last 3 times I tried to do Ulfheim, I was thwarted -- I wish there was some way around these frustrations without opening room for exploits.

- Game crashed while doing the Barbarian Hall right before the dragon spawns - when I rejoined the party, I was at the scene entrance, with no easy way to get to them - I did not want them to have to stop their fun, so I just left.
    - Joined a LFG but didn't get enough people so it disbanded. This is tricky, since there is a 'sweet spot' of maybe 4 people in a party but they need to be really powerful and specific roles since it takes too long for everyone to kill, skin a dragon and get a tooth, and wait for a respawn ; people start to bail.
    - Wanted to do the Dragon Tooth quest and mentioned similar in Guild chat - some guildies were doing Ulfheim! I joined the party but they were already a few fights deep, and getting to them solo was too hard for me, so I just left them to do their thing.

IMHO the respawn timer on the Dragon and waiting for the reset of the Barbarian Hall fight before the dragon respawns is enough of a limiter for the current rewards - maybe the gate locking mechanisms can be disabled so unlucky people or latecomers can run through the scene more easily to rejoin their team.

TLDR; Please make the mechanics in Ulfheim less painful for people to do the dragon quest.

Witcheypoo, Aeryk, Gravidy and 2 others like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I understand the mechanism why the final room door has to close and lock people IN, but really think there should be a vine for stragglers/new party members to participate.
    Same deal with the 3 wave events, they should just stay clear once cleared, its not like anyone goes back out and redoes them as they are just a means to an end.

3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Could just use some kind of gadget like an elevator or rope that you can lower for someone else to climb up. They already exist in some other zones.

4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Good feedback and suggestions, everyone! I recognize sometimes there's some frustration here and you bring up some good points. I'm not sure exactly what I would changes, but you've got me thinking about it. Added for consideration as issue #66976

Witcheypoo, Tirrag, Aeryk and 7 others like this.
  5. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

My guild and i went there a few days ago. In a group of 9 or 10 people. 4 of them relatively new to the game. If your group size is big enough you can be sure that one of them falls through a gap in the final bridge down into the first wave area.

As there is no way to open the gate for the poor souls, parts of the gruop have to go down there, finish the wave and run up again. Some people have problems with jumping over the gaps in the bridge or jumping in general, it could be a short hitching/lag, plenty of reasons to fall down.

We cleared the first wave 3 times. Of course every time we reached the final Bridge again the people were getting more nervous because no one wants to fall down and add another 15 minutes to the run.

We lost our nerves when at the fourth attempt another person fell down (4 trys, 4 different peolpe fell). We left. Surely some to never go there again. So that was more than a hour with next to no outcome for anyone and we didn't even see the Dragon.

Maybe the easiest solution would be to close the gaps on the last bridge. The other 2 are not the problem imo. People can catch up to the rest of the group pretty fast if they fall through the first or second bridge. Or maybe a lever or vine that appears when the first wave has been cleared once? Or the elevator that @Lazlo suggested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Witcheypoo, Luno, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  6. Charon

Charon Avatar

TBH, I've never understood the reasoning behind that last bridge. All it adds is grind and frustration to the whole event to the point that I literally will not go there any longer.

Surely the dragon adds enough chlorine to the group pool that people that shouldn't be there can't get there. Having to drop down and fight your way back up for the Nth time because someone fell or lost connection just adds salt to the wound and time to the encounter.

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Elgarion likes this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its frustrating because we're all off doing Ulfheim, someone new logs on, wants to come - sorry, can't, we'd have to reclear the whole way here which takes 20 mins due to waiting on waves and unless they want to solo their way through all of it (assuming they are able to) there's no guarantee everyone else wont be 'done' by the time they do it.

Sannio, maybe a mechanism by which party members already inside the final room could summon a party member by stepping on a _thing_.
    There's actually a LOT of places in the game where the ability to summon someone, kinda like a reverse teleport scroll, would help matters - like with people getting stuck, or that one party member who just cannot for the life of them make that jump. There'd have to be a cooldown on it of course or things could get silly, but I've seen other games employ this mechanism either via an actual skill players can learn (maybe put it in the Focus tree) or an item that you can use to summon targetted party member to your location but with a long cooldown on it. Back in Vanguard there was a /rope command that could be used at short distances to help party members get up cliffs and such, but wouldn't work for cross-scene zoning.

The easiest thing to do would probably be to just make it so that the first three 'wave events' stayed clear once cleared the first time, unless you clicked something to reset it. That would allow players to optionally kill more bandits if that was their goal, but the default would be this is defeated, move on. Then new party members would just need to get to the final door and wait 1 round. Or do the opposite if you don't want 'defeated' to be the default state, let players click something that blows up the gates until the scene resets. Dynamite!!!

Witcheypoo and Gravidy like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So basically, you want them to add the ability for 1 person to run through the Ulfheim scene, all the way to the final Dragon battle, and then that player can then start summoning people to the final battle? Don’t see that happening.....

10. Sannio

I put in a change for Ulfheim yesterday that includes two pairs of teleporter pads (and no changes to the wave battles).

Here's how the first pair works: At the "far end" of the entry valley, there is a teleporter pad by the gate. The teleporter is nonfunctional by default. Up the natural ramp and at the start of the treehouse area is a second teleporter pad with an "arcane panel" attached. This teleporter is also nonfunctional. Interact with the teleporter pad to activate both teleporters in the pair. Step on one pad to teleport to the other. They stay on until the scene resets.

The second pair of teleporters works the same way: In the outer village there's a large 2-story building with some sort of worship area on the ground floor. The upper level has an inactive teleporter pad. Make your way past the village wave battle to the exterior of the grant hall to find the second teleporter of the pair, also inactive but with an activation panel. Interact with the panel to turn on both teleporters, which will stay on until the scene resets.

In this way you can earn the privilege of unlocking a fast-travel means while also requiring player to fight their way past in-between sections. We'll see how this goes. I reserve the right to adjust or remove these teleporters at any time and in any way I feel appropriate. (But hopefully they work out because I already know I'd like to use them in at least one future adventure scene).

Also, the bridge over the valley is no longer a trap and won't break when you walk over it.

Anpu, Witcheypoo, Aeryk and 7 others like this.
  11. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

You are a true hero!

Thank you so much

Witcheypoo likes this.
  12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

So what is stopping someone for keeping a character at the end all day, bringing alt after alt after alt to feed them 400k exp each day....? The difficulty was impressive and this will dumb it down. It will be exploited. No more intent on making sure the party is cohesive and safe when travelling through. The 2 easy mode buttons will make this zone a joke now when before, it was perfect.

Please put a timer on the teleporters to prevent this.

Also removing the bridge trap is sad. Whats the point of removing it. Why not just teleport me straight to the tooth and loot it without any difficulty at all if you are on the path of making things easy mode?

13. Sannio

When the teleporters are unlocked, players can't skip all the content. They'll still need to fight past the ambient enemies, just not the first two wave battles.

I'm going to keep an eye on these changes to Ulfheim. If the teleporters seem too exploitable, I'll either adjust them, remove the teleporter set closest to the Grand Hall, or remove both sets and we'll go back to how things were before the change.

(I'm strongly considering requiring a key to unlock each teleporter panel, but I want to see how these changes work out first.)

I liked the bridge trap but honestly it was meant as a simple nuisance and I've found too many people just plain hate it.

Anpu and Aeryk like this.
  14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

400k isn't exactly a huge amount of xp these days.

Aeryk likes this.
  15. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Its actually 800k exp; 400k adv and 400k producer and that is EXCESSIVE.

But you said it best; "these days."

This game is is falling apart.

Lazlo likes this.
  16. Charon

Charon Avatar

This is where things generally break down. There are the random disconnects that make doing this encounter painfully slow but the primary cause is people lagging out, being bad jumpers or just bad luck that makes this a place I wouldn't go to any longer.

Thank you @Sannio for making these changes.

Anpu, Witcheypoo and Aeryk like this.
  17. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

You often have such valuable input, but it is difficult to make use of it when you frame each problem as an existential crisis. Can you help with more specifics like you did in the post before this? The new scene changes are pretty amazing given what we had before there, but i'm sure it can be tweaked with some help from folk like you and others in the community here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  18. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Not sure what you mean. Everything is being made easier patch after patch. The scene was perfect and didnt require any changes.
    The excessive exp part can be discussed here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...as-trivialized-95-of-the-game-content.163168/
    Its pretty obvious by looking at history what this all means.
    Goodbye, im done fighting against an ocean of pitchforks.

Aeryk, Sulaene Moon and Drilikath like this.
  19. Sannio

Another update for everyone: In seeking a good balance between ensuring players engage in the Ulfheim's general content and being sympathetic to players who are trying to catch up to their friends, I've made some changes to to the new teleporters.

The teleporter activation panel will require a new quest item, named "Ulfheim Runestone," to activate. The runestone will be consumed on activation. Ulfheim Runestones have a low chance of appearing in loot from some defeated Ulfheim barbarians and a much better chance from some special Ulfheim barbarians (e.g. Blodigmun). These quest items cannot be traded and each player can only have one in their inventory at a time. The teleporters reset after 5 minutes, but can be reactivated with another Ulfheim Runestone.

The new Ulfheim Runestone has a second use: The collector, Kaiser, located where players enter the Ulfheim scene will buy one Ulfheim Runestone each day (a daily quest).

20. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Just had a crazy idea for the frustration of having to kill and skin a dragon for every party member looking to do the quest...

... what if the dragon tooth quest item was moved to an NPC that spawns after the dragon is defeated, like the NPCs that spawn for the bounty slip, survey ticket, and prayer card? That way, everyone in the party just needs to speak with the NPC to get the quest item, instead of having to skin a separate dragon for each member?

Then the NPC will despawn when the dragon 'resets'.

Violet Ronso, Witcheypoo and Tirrag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.