1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Treasure hunting is coming. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by majoria70, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Shadowstorm

Chaos Shadowstorm Avatar

My friend describing how treasure hunting used to be before the major changes UP made to treasure hunting, he wishes SOTA to have this older way of doing it as opposed to UOs new way:

"when you first dig chest 4-8 mobs spawn that guard it you have to kill before you can open it, like 80 items in high level chest and everyone you removed had a chance to spawn high level monster

for years I did it by provoking the initial mobs with my bard and then had a pair of summoned earth elementals to dispose the single spawns that poppped

then the chest levels increased and I had to change, took mysticism and had to use rising colossus and drop bard skills

the new system you have to have remove trap skill and mobs spawn during the trap removal that dont drop loot and then when you open it there are less than 20 items

and they are themed, warrior, ranger, mage, artisan

rather than completely random

a level 5 chest in the old system would contain 50K gold, 100 reagents, 100 gems, like 60 random magical items and 1-2 rare items and a chance at another map

the maps were rare off of high level mobs

but once I had a few hundred, the maps I got from chests themselves kept me going, I probably did a couple thousand over the years

the magical items that werent useful I brought back and broke down for magic essence of base materials

oh and at one point luck became a thing effecting the amount and quality of loot you get so I made a max luck suit for tmap hunting"

The is what my friend would like to see for Treasure Hunting in SOTA, and I would too. The new way UO does treasure seems like a huge nerf, so much so, people dont bare to bother with it anymore so its said.

Thanks!

Chaos

2. Chaos Shadowstorm

Chaos Shadowstorm Avatar

I typed this in a hurry heh apologies. But yeah my friends like the old way of treasure hunting in UO and not the new way hehe. I have no experience in this myself, but he is probably right.

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

This post is very late but thread is open so I'm going to put in my thoughts.

From someone who still has a current UO account, the one thing about UO treasure hunting I enjoyed is a clue on where a treasure is buried and adventure finding it. Whether or not you did this alone or with a group is up to the player. Obviously on more difficult maps that yielded much better lot it was wise to go out with a group which to me encourages players to adventure together. The loot system to me is the most difficult decision, especially in Shroud. I say this because the big topics always seem to be risk vs reward. Then you have the topic of the top 1% people being able to solo these difficult treasure hunts on there own and making bank off of them where others may have to go out into a group and split the reward amongst themselves. As far as rare items for rewards, clothing is an okay idea, until the market becomes saturated with them like artifacts have saturated the market today and sit on vendors for weeks on end. Consumable items such as rare ores or other rare consumables and such seems like a nicer idea because it's something that can be used or sold for someone else to use.

As far as how I would lay out a treasure hunt in this game, I could toss so many ideas around.

1st, don't allow treasure maps to drop too commonly. This adds some value to the maps & it also helps the market becoming saturated with them. If Shroud was a much larger player base this might not be as much of an issue but as it sits I think it would be. Add different tier maps. Add unique content for these treasure hunts. Find a map, give a clue on the map. Perhaps it says "seek the oracle in such and such city" you take the treasure map to that oracle and speak the words "treasure map" and the oracle replies with a location and clues of precisely where a buried treasure is along with a bit of a story. Players go seek out this location with the given clues and location and the player who has the treasure map begins digging areas until they find the chest. Of course, who wants to find a chest without the challenge of being attacked? Perhaps a group of kobolds come out of the woods to try and steal the treasure from you so you need to fight them off in a few waves sort of like a control point. Kill them off, take your reward. Perhaps you could set the treasure chest up as a "roll" feature on all the loot OR if you are in a group of players you know well you all can split the profits or split the items based on your needs or wants.

That idea may be a little bit dull but just throwing another idea out there. Honestly if I took a lot of time on treasure hunting I think I could come up with way more incredible ideas then that but unless a Dev comes out and asks me personally that's about all I have for now. I know the Dev team is small and they can only do so much at once which is why content isn't being released weekly but I'll patiently wait for the treasure hunting because I too would like to see this content added to the game to give us all something time consuming to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.