Need more help with bags, chests and houses :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I've asked this question before and followed the advice but I'm still stuck :(.

I'm not sure how to go about actually buying a house. I have a row lot deed in my inventory but I don't remember who gave it to me, where it's good or how to actually "claim" the house as mine (I'm playing exclusively offline for now if that makes a difference). Any pointers in the right direction if I want to buy a house?

The next question I have is, I would like to organize my inventory and leave chunks of it in my house once I buy it. I have a lot of books, potions, recipes, no-longer-needed quest items, letters etc. and it's making it cumbersome to scroll through my inventory.

I was told that I could go to a crafter or tailor and buy bags or chests, and then use the bags and chests as containers like in older Ultimas. I've looked at tailors and craftsmen and nothing has jumped out at me like a sign that says "this way home". Further nudges in the right direction will be appreciated.

Thanks as always,
    DalTXColtsFan Dragon

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the recipes to make them are sold by the deco vendors that live above banks in most of the major towns. I'm not sure you can just buy them already made anywhere, but I'm sure Anpu will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong.

Alternatively, north of Aerie near Blood River is the town of Veritas Sanctuary. I have a vendor there selling bags and chests. (Near the main market square, name of the shop is Bait 'n Switch.)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Hang on to your row lot deed, it will get you a free house of the type Row in a player-owned town.
    Now I've never played offline, so I don't know if there are any player-owned towns offline. I can imaging there aren't any. In that case, still hang on to your deed for when you go playing online!

Bags and chests and a lot of other container types are crafted by players. Bags are tailoring items and most of the others carpentry. Lacking vendors from other players offline, you could try to make them yourself. You'll need a recipe and a workbench and materials. The recipes are found on NPC-tailors and NPC-carpenters. They usually have a workbench in their shop and otherwise you can use the benches in the crafting pavilions in most NPC towns. Most of the materials can be gathered and there's a NPC-vendor in de crafting pavillions who sells stuff that can't be gathered.

And yes, bags and chests can be placed inside your home, just like good old UO. The choice of container types is much wider though! I store stuff in trunks, dressers and desks for instance.

I hope this helps, though you'd probably get better advice from people who play offline too :)

Ysold.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oops, yeah, I forgot you were an offline player. So, no player vendors available. You're going to have to make them yourself. Bags are leather and rope. Rope is made from cotton, or you can find coils in some scenes you can grab. I think Chests are just wood and a lock mechanism; you buy the lock from crafting merchants.

It also helps to check SotaWiki for the recipes. If they are "Re-Teachable" then you can also learn them by placing the correct amount of materials on a table instead of buying them. The "Craft" button should light up if you got the materials correct, and when you craft it you will also learn the recipe.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

in offline, pot-only deeds can claim lots anywhere.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also row deeds have their own house already by default. So click on a lot stone or lot sign and claim and there you go. You will see your house immediately when you claim the lot.

7. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I tried to claim a couple random houses in Owl's Head with no success - I click my deed but the "Claim Lot" doesn't enable. Any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That looks enabled. Click "claim lot" and it should bring up a list of your deeds to select which one. You don't select the deed first.

And if you did all that and it's not working, I don't know what's going on. Unless there's a bug with using PoT deeds on NPC towns in offline.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

Your deed is for a row lot, the smallest lot size. You are trying to claim a town sized lot here. So find a row size lot and click the claim lot button shown there.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ahhh. Yeah, that'd make a difference.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Thanks - I'll try when I get a chance and give an update.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hopefully the lot deed is in your inventory. Also don't confuse house deeds with lot deeds. You said you were playing offline right? In online you could not place in owlshead unless you have a place anywhere lot deed which comes with early pledge tiers or is a real cash purchase in the crown store. Never buy a house thinking it will place. Lot deed must be placed first and foremost. All need a lot deed to be in your inventory of course as mentioned and as mentioned a row lot deed has a default house showing when placed. If you ever venture in to online I am Majoria in game. I accept all friends requests and if I'm not in game we do have a mail system.

Mailboxes are located at any bank building and craftable as well. Just click the blue words send mail type majoria for example type a short note on subject line and send. You can also type a book or letter on blank paper, flyers, or blank books and drag to the mail message.

There is so much to know about this game. We even have a music system with group play called syncing. I have many Queen songs in my library for groups to play as well.

Edit Oh I saw you were trying to claim a town size with your row deed. Anyway hopefully you are on the right track now. It can all be so confusing I'm sure. Have fun.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I'm now the proud owner of a row lot house in Owl's Head, and I was able to dump a lot of my inventory into it! I'll work on bags, chests, bookcases, desks, dressers etc. later to clean up the mess, but for now, I'm just happy that it takes much less time to scroll through my stuff!

I also noticed that it says I can bind to that location with a Recall scroll - that will be VERY useful. Haven't played around with yet, but looking forward to it.

Question - why does it say my claim expires in 12 days? I'm not going to lose the house and everything I put in it am I?

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

You need to pay lot taxes or the claim will expire. Click the button in the bottom corner of that popup that says pay lot taxes. They are very reasonable, and you can get gold from the oracle every day to help. If you forget or stop playing and lose the lot then everything will just be sent to your bank (whether there are available bank slots or not).

Sean Silverfoot, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You'd think lot taxes wouldn't be a thing in offline. That's super lame.

16. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I could go either way on that. Even offline there should still be a feel that you're in a real world, and as the old joke goes - death and taxes amirite?

As Gwendolyn said, it's not like downtown manhattan where 70% of your salary goes to rent LOL.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If you click U an interface will come up to pay taxes on property owned by you. Make sure you highlight your property in that interface wind ow first. It seems you have a taxed deed then.

So daily go to an Oracle building click on test in the Oracle menu. It will ask you about one of the virtues each day. Learning which virtues you should say yes to or no to is important. You do that by reading about them in the Oracle information. If it's a virtue important to you then you can say yes when your Oracle test mentions that virtue. You will get used to it. You will receive 500 gold a day for taking this test. That will help with your taxes.

To upgrade a deed to tax-free requires cotos which are game currency purchased from the store for real cash or occasionally found during adventuring. The long words for that abbreviation is Crown of obsidian or Crowns.

To update a deed it must be in your inventory to right click on. That shows all the upgrade options for it.

You will again recieve the 500 gold a day at the Oracle and since the lot tax is only 250 for a row deed that should help you.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah... but if I go back to play Fallout 4 after a few years, and all my meticulously built settlements have been dismantled because I stopped playing... That's just stupid.

Scanphor and Time Lord like this.
  19. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Taxes are an MMO mechanic intended to prevent housing zones being all claimed by inactive players - don't belong in a single player game

Cyin, Barugon and that_shawn_guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.