Mind Mapping and Tools for ideas, topics, wishlists, etc. ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Aug 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I have a lot of ideas in my head! Probably too many! Hmm.

I like to adventure to various SotA scenes and Player Owned Towns while also experiencing the SotA storyline. There's so much to do and experience in SotA that I sometimes get "lost" (lost in my own mind perhaps!). I also like reading the wishlists forum and think "Hmm, that's a good idea! Now, where does that fit in?"

Well, I've seen some good mindmaps in business and education on various topics to organize information and concepts. I want to try them out for my SotA hobby (adventuring, fishing (of course!), thinking about game improvements, player-quests, community events, etc.). I do have a whiteboard at home (yes, I'm a geek at heart and mind!) and scribble on it a lot.

Can anyone recommend:

1) specific Mindmap tools/software?

2) experiences with mind-mapping?

https://www.mindmapping.com/mind-map

Thanks!

-- Winfield, who likes to go fishing and think about things and needs a way to map out his thoughts so he can not forget them and to make them relate to other thoughts and even compare with what others are thinking so everything gets better and eventually there are more fish in the pond!

Tahru, Time Lord, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Check out miro perhaps!
    miro.com/apps

Seems getting a student account or org ID gets a lot of cool features for free.

Time Lord, Elgarion and Winfield like this.
  3. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

If you are a Mac user then I would suggest Mindnode. They also have an App Store version that I use on my iPad. I used it for planning complex work. Some of my maps would end up being like 12 levels deep as they evolved over time.

Winfield and Time Lord like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not quite there yet, but I've been laying some ground work, gathering some concepts in direction to exert efforts into. Fulfilling personal goals I think are much more rewarding than playing to the crowd. If you are doing something for your play fulfillment dreams, then others with similar dreams apear passing through your own. Much in the same way Vincent Van Gogh was not thinking of his audience, his audience naturally apeared to enjoy his dreams being naturally attracted to them, it's then coming close to see another's dreams which then helps enhance your own dream's quality. And, I do think dreaming is a very important subject to our game's (Ultima) deeper true enjoyment.

I've been working to open trails, but have yet to traveled down them, both physically through the game as well as figuratively in the abstract in mental tools availible.

My current mental investigations;

• How closely related "The Martian Chronicles" is to our own sota world's situation.
    • How party murder mysteries could be best incorperated to enhance inky quests.
    I do very much agree with the mental maping concept model, because navigation has everything to do with first knowing where "you" are.
    Great Subject Matter Indeed Sir Winfield!
    ~Time Lord~

Winfield likes this.
  5. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

You brought back an exceptional response there @Time Lord ! Thanks! We are thinking alike.

My personal journey in Shroud is to enjoy the storyline, the quests, the community ... make my own stories and quests and contribute to the community.

I like the way you presented the idea of "audience" and how I don't need to do things for an audience. I do things for personal enjoyment which in my experience, has appealed to or helped the audience too ... by mere coincidence, destiny, or just being at the same fishing pond!

Mapping out thoughts and ideas and then staring at them as a painted canvas can cause more thought, validation, and even new discoveries! A welcomed journey!

/bow

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What I have noticed is that we have a community of like minds building, yet not yet ready to begin gathering of deeper Ultima, people who enjoy quest construction and storybook enviorment building.

One thought keeps coming back stronger with each new development release and that thought is "the conversationalists are our new books and stage plays, and each one have the abilities of chapters".

If you recal the movie "Big"...

In that movie, during one of the game invention scenes, "Josh" played by Tom Hanks mentions an idea he had about a comic book whos story could change depending on the way the reader wanted the storyline to go, with multiple destinations or storylines which could be had, yet through the same book. I think that's the same situation or could become the same situation we have through our conversationalists. When one of our community's quests comes close to another's, then such a choice by the reader could be made, or just interconnecting or storylines brushing up against each other in a complementary way to draw the reader's/seeker's attention that the other storyline exists. I think those types of connections are important within our current community's currently evolutionary stage, because so many currently existing quests are not known to exist but through word of mouth or small forums posts which quickly fade.

Taking the Seeker/Reader off the game and onto their own note pads...

Quest Building Tools, (which help me and also facinate me):

Read some Shakespear in it's original text always begins me talking a bit backwards Old English in it's way, but reads really well to draw the seeker/reader closer.

Structured paragraphs from a mix of sentences gathered from a quest trail, whether in a strait and easy to place together line, or through gathering the lines and then matching those sentences up in a precoded way to create a paragraph. There's more to this style, yet that would lead away from this introduction into questing passageways or paths within the seeker/reader's mind reflecting on the story's content.

Anagrams are a quest tool I have yet to see used:
    https://ingesanagram.com/

https://wordsmith.org/anagram/

There's much more and always more when it comes to quest and word puzzle design but I'm no lecture expert on the subject, but the study and review of it all is much needed before I choose a path, because I don't remember well, but I am pondering on all I've before encoutered as our Catnip seems to be ever opening this pathway for us of play.

Indeed I am certain of it that we should all be strolling down this pathway wistling along our way :):):):)~TL~

Winfield likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.