Idea: Monthly Fishing Tournament Leaderboards - feedback?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winston, Feb 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston

Winston A Data Guy Moderator SOTA Developer

I have ideas for regularly updated Leaderboards for the Monthly Fishing Tourney throughout the month and would like your feedback. These Leaderboards would show essentially "current standings" in the tournament.

Reference: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../catnip-games-monthly-fishing-tourney.163078/

My goal is to make the Fishing Tourneys more visible and help players find out where they currently stand as the Tournament progresses.

I would prototype this first with text output to the SotA Forums here in a new thread, perhaps updated daily. The board info would change day to day on who is in the lead and in the Top 10 for each of the 4 Fishing Tournament categories (POT, NPC, PVP, and Lava).

The Leaderboard would show at least Player Name and Length of fish in each category. It may or may not show location/town caught in at first. It would de-dupe players who catch several fish in the same category, and just show their longest fish.

What are the pros and cons of this idea? Thoughts?

2. Neverly Crusher

Neverly Crusher Avatar

Thank you for the post and grats on your new position! :)

Here come the questions..

When you say Monthly Fishing Tourney, I assume you’ll include data only from Catnip locations?

Will this be a separate leaderboard to the one we’re currently having (“Fish”) or will the existing be modified?

Will it include people who don’t report on the leaderboards? (Maybe a stupid question, don’t know how exactly the data is extracted..)

The pros and cons of sharing the exact location to me are the same –knowing you (don’t) have a chance to win…Personally, I enjoy the mystery (and misery!) until the contest is over and the results are announced…Otherwise people (and by people I mean me! :D) maybe will get too hung up on checking every day…Master anglers generally know when they’ve caught something worthwhile and can more or less guess/predict if they’ve caught a winner (except if you’re me – I catch a shark, breathe a sigh of relief and three people decide to catch a larger shark than mine in the last day, so..:D)

I'm on the fence about PVP fishing standing - I don't think anyone goes fishing in a PVP location that's not current Catnip, therefore listing PVP by default would very likely mean that it's a Catnip location.

3. Winston

When you say Monthly Fishing Tourney, I assume you’ll include data only from Catnip locations?
    • ANSWER: should include all fishing tourney towns/scenes for the particular Release : POTs, NPC, PVP, Lava (Adv, and possibly POT lava scenes).

Will this be a separate leaderboard to the one we’re currently having (“Fish”) or will the existing be modified?
    • ANSWER: probably separate so can also be used for different tournaments maybe with a drop-down select or radio buttons (Fishing, TreasureHunt, QuestA, etc.) - not sure what QuestA would be yet.

Will it include people who don’t report on the leaderboards? (Maybe a stupid question, don’t know how exactly the data is extracted..)
    • ANSWER: Since it's live data, this would honor the OPT OUT by characters who do not want their character name shown in API data I think it is; it would just show Anonymous (in first, second place, etc. ) on Live board for OPT OUT people. That anonymous person could check their own fish in their inventory to see if they have the longest fish. After contest, however, the name is announced in order to get the prize.
    PVP -
    • ANSWER: We are only using Catnip PVP adventure scenes I believe. Not POT PVP Scenes.
    Does this help? Sorry for my delayed reply, I missed this alert.

4. Proudfoot Underhill

Proudfoot Underhill Avatar

Very Cool! :)

Time Lord and Winston like this.
  5. Winston

UPDATE:
    • I am finishing my Treasure Hunt leader/status board today (I think). See: https://sotawiki.net/sota/User:Winston/Treasure_Hunt_Status
    • I am working on Fishing Tournament leader/status boards tomorrow.
      • They will be similar to my Treasure Hunt (T-Hunt) status boards but will have longest fish caught in 5 categories, whereas the T-Hunt has items gathered in two categories.

The date/times for start and end are the same for Fishing as they are for the T-Hunt.

Contest Start:
    25 Feb 2022 at 06:00 UTC
    25 Feb 2022 at 00:00 (12:00 am) CST
    Septembre 28, 638 P.C.

Contest End:
    01 Apr 2022 at 04:59 UTC
    31 Mar 2022 at 23:59 (11:59 pm) CDT
    Marse 26, 641 P.C.

So check your trophy fish dates too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.