Where to place first house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muggsy, Dec 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

Good morning, All,

I have been casually playing SOA for about 5 months and I still have not placed my original deed. I am not sure of the benefits of having it in an NPC or player-run town. At some point, I would like to focus on crafting and selling my items from a vendor... I am guessing that an area with somewhat higher traffic would make sense.

Thanks in advance for any direction that y'all can provide.

-Muggsy

FrostII and Adam Crow like this.
  2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There's lots of POTs around the Brittany area that are set up as market towns that are very good for getting vendor traffic. If you don't want to deal with living in a player-owned town, there's also quite a few open spots in Brittany Alleys, which is a decent place to sell .

I personally prefer using a lot that's in a quiet PRT and keeping just a vendor in a market town, but if you only have 1 deed, you can still use a basement to have some quiet/lag-free space inside of a busier town.

Muggsy likes this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Hey there, a friend and I run Novia Market, one of the busy market towns near Brittany. I can look for a spot for you if you're interested. What size deed do you have?

Muggsy and FrostII like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Choosing your first lot to claim is a very complicated process. It will all depend on what you are looking for. Do you just want to claim a lot and start decorating it? Do you want a lot and want to have a vendor that sells items? Do you want to live in a town with access to crafting stations? Do you just want a lot that is isolated?

What specifically are you looking for in a lot to claim?

Muggsy and FrostII like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi @Muggsy . As mentioned there are things to consider when you decide where to live.

Do you have a place anywhere deed or do you have a player owned town only deed?

Are you Looking for companionship in the town you decide to place your deed in?

Are you looking for a certain theme or environment?

Do you have computer issues when going into a highly decorated town?

If you're in a guild sometimes players prefer to live in their guild town if there is one.

Whatever your thoughts and reasons will dictate where you place your deed. I just want to say you can always change your mind later if a town doesn't feel right. Certain npc towns if you have a place anywhere deed are difficult to find a lot and not imo as convenient and some player owned towns are set up to be. Being close to everything in a town can be very convenient. For example are all the buffs/devotionals, shrines, crafting stations conveniently situated? Does the town offer several teleportals to locations? Are you comfortable with the governing of the town if player owned town?

As someone who had the opportunity to place anywhere since I did buy a pledge many years ago I still prefer the player owned town I'm in. Many player owned towns have been in the game reliably since 2014. If a town isn't reliable its not the end of the world because now your stuff and deco goes to the property manager. This means you don't lose your decorating efforts and you can move on.

Advantages of player owned towns imo are many. Governors set up their town mostly to appeal to visitors and their residents. If you want to have a vendor you could try to get in a vendor town but now since we got the option to see all vendor items in the window selector (last option) you can follow directions to any vendor items you choose. Before you had to hunt around every vendor for items you wanted to buy and also you can immediately find out if anyone in the town is selling the item you are looking for.

Another thing to look for is the town offering easy to claim lots with no pressure or deco restrictions. Is that important to you? Do you prefer a nicely organized, low graphic town or is something unusual in your mind.

You asked why place your deed and here's what I have to say about that. Placing your deed gives you a static location with the ability to place and organize all your items, display your items, place a vendor, create a bind spot, and create a theme. It is an opportunity for creativity and themes and taking a break from combat to just putter on your place.

I have a School of Rock for example which I made as a theme in honor of Sota's music system. It has display of all of Sotas instruments, history, and listening rooms. It is a place to go to play music in groups and hear music if you visit that is placed around the building just by clicking on songs.

Someone in our town has a taxedermy shop which is a display of trophys. Someone else has a fishing lot dedicated to the fishing system in the game.

Having a lot even if you don't care about any of those things does for some give a sense of a having a quiet space and hominess.

As shown below. I recently created a Christmas lot which has Christmas songs placed on shelves to click on and it also has a Santas Bag for 3 gifts for all. Only problem is some will take more (curses) but I try to share. ;)

Also when choosing a lot if you don't want to interact with the Governors look for a town that has lots claimable by anyone. To find out click on a lot stone or lot sign and see if you get the option to claim. This means most available lots should be claimable in the town. To see available lots spam the p key outside of the chat window and watch for the stream of light or white-ish stream. Most governors who set their lots to claimable will just say welcome but then you are just free to go on your way if you like. I send a welcome letter usually. Ok well I do hope that helps you at all. I'm sorry for so many words but I am wordy trying to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Muggsy, Vaiden Luro, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  6. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

I currently have the default Deed, Row (POT, Taxed, No Trade) that you get from doing the early quests in Solace Bridge Outskirts. I have the 4,400 gold to upgrade it to Deed, Village (PA, Tax Free), but I am not sure of what the difference between POT and PA... I'm assuming that POT means Player Owned Town?

I would like to use the house to sell items that I either make or gather.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok PA means place anywhere including npc towns. Pot only means player owned towns only which as mentioned I think are wonderful to live in with more conveniences but that's imo.

Muggsy likes this.
  8. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

Thank you very much for your help. Now I need to figure out where I want to live... I am not in a guild, so I'm not really bound to any guild policies.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes good luck and of course you are Welcome anytime in Wizards Rest but you probably know that.

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can also use a POT deed in a Player Run Town. That was a recent change.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Muggsy, Barugon and majoria70 like this.
  11. Retysy

Retysy Avatar

I prefer using a lot that's in a quiet PRT and keeping just a vendor in a market town too. I guess it is nice idea. In general, this game can be a lot of pleasure. Especially when you get everything right in the game. In other games to succeed, I would go to the page and improve my skills. Here you can do everything yourself

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  12. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I hope you mean you have 4,400 Crowns of the Obsidian (COTOs) to upgrade from the free deed to PA TF Village.
    4,400 gold coins won't cut it ;)

Tirrag and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.