Treasure Chests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Osunn, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Osunn

Osunn Avatar

Do chests very drop rare items? I have opened many treasure chests and usually get gem fragments and sometimes a copper or iron weapon.
    This is not a complaint just wondering what drops.

2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Hey Osunn,
    Almost all chests in game drop mundane loot such as gem fragments, a few gold, a few ore, caltrops, a generic sword, etc.
    Occasionally a chest may drop something more valuable or more unusual, but these are often specific chests in a specific location.
    1. Chests in "Compendium of Pain and Suffering" can drop blueprints for certain dungeon rooms.
    2. Chest near the elf barracks in Tartarus - this used to occasionally drop an artifact. I have not been there in long time, so I am not sure if it still does that.
    3. Chests in the Tartarus maze sometimes drop a bottle of dye (I think its black dye).
    4. Some of the chests in Lord British's Castle drop artifacts and higher level recipes. Also, one specific chest in a hidden chamber can drop 3 types of wax cylinder: The Dragon Clan, The Boar Clan, or The Bear Clan.
    5. I think Chests in the overworld "naughty brat" encounter can sometimes drop creepy dolls (i am not 100% sure about this, but if my memory is correct, i got a creepy doll from one of these chests).
    6. Daily turn ins - these are not actually chests, they are crates. However, the common crates give loot similar to a grey bundle, and the uncommon crates give loot similar to a yellow bundle (so you can get artifacts, recipes, and books of learning; also you can sometimes get more unusual items such as seeds, plant deco, gustballs, etc.).
    There may be other examples of chests that drop something more valuable or more unique, but the ones I can recall are listed above.
    Unfortunately, most chests drop pittance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    Spinok, majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Around 4 years ago, a new area was released that included a puzzle that required that you run all over the area to locate "keys" to open a door. It took an hour or two to solve. For my efforts, I got a chest with a wooden cup and a 0/1 boot. That was the day I realized while the devs can design a game, they don't really grasp game design.

Pifester likes this.
  4. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

A bit offtopic but chests need more love definatly, there are some not easy chests like last room chest in despair/myrkur, which cant be exploited, not easy battle before it, but still has pretty poor reward. Add some silver ore there and a chance on acara artifact, and this place would be really good spot.

Lazlo and majoria70 like this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Compendium is pretty weird too. It has 3 chests, and the one for the first couple minutes of low level stuff is the same as the one at the end.

Spinok likes this.
  6. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

Chests in the Hilt Fortress drop the recipes used by the obsidian forge.

There are also specials chests (mostly in passages) that drop items used for the main Shroud quest.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What specific items are those?

8. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

The pages of the book.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ahh the chests within The Vaults, that are connected to the various Passages and Ruins. Of note you only get the pages when you have the quest to do so.