Obsidian Potions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burzmali, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Exactly, there is one experience for premium players and another for free players. The premiums get the full experience and everyone else gets something similar for at least part of their play time.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Have you actually tested this?

Build up a fat producer XP pool, get the learning buff in Lost Vale, eat some learning foods and get the Castle Atos learning buff and see how fast it goes.

The size of your XP pool actually has the biggest impact on how fast you learn.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

They sure do. And you can easily purchase all those premium boosts with gold and then train your mw's very easily. Especially if you use all the things Barugon listed.

Rinaldi likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Obsidian Guidance is +300%, that's around twice the best you can get from food and it should stack with food if I understand correctly.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Sure, and potions of swift gathering and Meticulous harvesting will do wonders for building it up quickly. I mean, if you were to go full p2w, and the game had a meaningful population, you could just buy the XP to fill up your pool as well.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That is a false, defamatory and completely inaccurate statement.

Sean Silverfoot, jrs99 and Scanphor like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

What's your point exactly? Anyone who is playing for free can use those items. Like I said twice now, you can easily purchase them in game for gold.

You don't seem to have a grasp on how a lot of stuff in this game works. Do you think the only way to get a guidance potion is in the store?

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This thread was created by moving a number of off topic posts from another thread.

Reminder: Please refrain from hijacking another's thread. Please create a new one and reference the old one if a tangent is to be discussed.

Sean Silverfoot, Barugon and Anpu like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks. The other thread was really becoming polluted.

Alley Oop and Anpu like this.
  10. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Here is an idea, let's get rid of the extra boost for the potions you get with the subscription!
    Just maybe give some more without the boost?

I'm one of those selling the potions for less that 8500 gold and will continue to do so.

Won't end this discussion with Burzmali but will somewhat reduce the 'Premium players' feeling.

11. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

TBH imho I see that as a solution searching for a problem... I don't see why players that contribute financially shouldn't get some benefit from doing so and the extra boost is pretty mild compared to most other online games.

One other thing they could potentially do is make the rewards members boost available for cotos as a consumable item appropriately priced in the coto store maybe? Then you could get that through in game means too.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  12. merlinfire

merlinfire Avatar

this is really the critical point

i know some people may disagree or not like the idea. but i am "happy" to pay to keep this game going - it is a unique gem among all mmo's out there today. it's not like they are Blizzard getting tens of millions of subscribers or selling millions in a cash shop. the money spent here really does keep it going in a much bigger way.

personally, i would be willing to pay more for a higher tier sub if it were available.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I disagree with this. The only difference is that it takes a bit longer but you achieve the same goal.

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From my perspective as an obsidian potion drinker I do agree that those who have money do benifit more from the potions as they can use them frequently over someone that does not. but as a free to play game they do offer free ways around it so that its completely free which includes the drop of cotos in game from mobs, as well listed above alternate routes for purchases from player base. Tools on the other hand well nice that they dont break they are a one time purchase that everyone eventually makes that or they used the crafted ones which are in some cases better but have that durability limits. As to making money in game to buy these wonders at higher levels many make over 2k+ per hour and with some selling potions for 8500, its pretty doable. a single artifact is worth 1200+, beetles 1500+ and so on so there is many ways to achieve the goal of drinking potions. I only usually run with only 3 potions on always (capacity, the reg saver, and the durability saver) the rest are more specific for what you are doing like the mining or salvage / repair stuff.

15. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i also use obsidian potions when i perform certain tasks such as mining. i am a subscriber but i do feel the only real benefit is the extra boost given to subscribers to the potency of these potions. everything else is available in-game purchasable with GP or COTO (which can be looted or purchased with GP at exchanges). this post had me curious as to just how much benefit i was receiving from the precision and expedience potions. i did several runs in Elysium with the potions active and several more without. each time i performed 1 hour worth of mining in Elysium and here are my thoughts. keep in mind mileage will vary based on skill levels and equipment. my levels are in the 120s for mining and i did use the same tool for both as well as equipment because i wanted to evaluate solely on potions.

with potions:

i averaged 95 ore per run (where 1 run is 1 time around the Elysium mining loop)
    i was able to land several high metics including multiple 19x
    i averaged 4 runs per hour

without potions:

i averaged 70 ore per run
    i landed several low metics (< 4x) , a few between 4 and 11, and two mid metics (12x)
    i averaged 5 runs per hour

at first, i was thinking with potions had completely run away with it. then i realized that i fit one more loop in per hour due to the lower metic chances without potions which evened up the results significantly. so if you look at individual runs, obsidian potions win hands down. but if you look at a 1 hour block of mining (which i do almost everything in SotA within 1 hour blocks) then obsidian potions still win, but not by the landslide one would expect.

keep in mind this is just with limited testing. would love to hear if others can confirm similar results.

EDIT: also of note, expedience does not affect meticulous hits. once that bug gets fixed im sure it will be an interesting update.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

17. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Obsidian potion of guidance aka how to melt your XP pool with no technical knowledge on how to use your skills in the field. Please be very cautious with these and save your gold instead if you're a F2p player.

By the time any of the potions are worthwhile to use they will be considerably affordable with the amount of in-game-gold your character will be producing.

Also, in terms of "full experience" vs "partial experience" - Nah.

Scanphor and Anpu like this.