Courage Club

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ConjurerDragon, Jul 24, 2023.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I just did my first two fights in the Courage Club in Aerie and run from the 3rd contender.

The idea of having such an institiution like the Fight Club is a nice challenge.

However in my opinion it happens too fast, e.g.

the first contender was easy. But even while I took his loot the wall to the 2nd contender already opened and after nr. 2 fell the wall to nr. 3 opened just as quickly.

Please give me a second to pick up the loot of my current contender before the next one enters combat.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Keep in mind not everyone going in there is exactly the same level as you. I died the first time I went in there a long time ago as I was not sure of the creatures levels in there. Then I got better! :D

Perhaps possibly(?) a Mistrendur city only Courage Club+ could be added that bumps up the wave battle in there?

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Which is another reason to give the player a second before the next battle. I did want to get my loot before the next battle. But any player would want to see the next contender and if his name is in green, yellow or red to decide if to fight or leave.

4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm glad you like Courage Club! It's been a long time since I worked on it, but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to add a couple of seconds between fights. Issue #71571

FrostII and Tirrag like this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

im a huge fan of these style of progressive wave battles. i would love to see this built out with much more difficulty and variety. different cities providing different wave battles specific to the area.

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah lore wise I could see the guards of say Port Harmony saying something like here on Mistrendur we have a REAL courage club here! Not that wimpy one on Novia! etc :D

And then would players like it? Would players actually use it. Is it worth the developers time to add this..... that's the difficult question.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Sannio

When I created it, I sort of thought of Courage Club as a mini "challenge dungeon," which is our internal category name for scenes like the Compendium and Pain and Suffering and Lord British's Castle. I take it those scenes are bigger in scope than what you mentioned? Are you thinking of something still smallish like Courage Club, but maybe higher tier threats, and/or maybe multiple enemies (at least in the final battle)? Feel free to be specific in what you're looking for! This is great feedback!

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Sannio
    The mere fact that you are active here on our forums and looking for suggestions - gives me hope for our future !
    YAY SANNIO ! :):thumbs up:

9. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

well you asked :) im going to start with the dream and then tone it down :D

my dream would be to have entrances to Courage Club that a gov/steward could place in a POT that are purchasable via the COTO store. you could sell different levels of entrances from easy to extremely hard. easy would be pretty inexpensive and extreme would be very expensive. entrances could be themed so you could have multiples of the same level, just different themes (ie different mobs). cave-themed could have trolls or spiders as the mobs. each of those types of mobs have bosses that could be used as the final boss. mine-themed could have satyrs or undead. dragon themed could have waves of baby, fero, and a named dragon as the boss. wyvern themed could have barbarians, wyverns, and fero wyverns. kobolds could have kobolds + clockworks culminating in either a named kobold or a clockwork dragon of one of the colors. i think there are so many possibilities and i think it would be a popular addition to POTs as well as a nice COTO purchase to help with the game.

now the more-likely idea is absolutely more enemies and higher tier threats. i was so disappointed when i first did courage club as i found it well after my char didnt have an issue winning. i wanted so bad for a club that would challenge me but at that point they just didnt exist. i think it would be fun to theme it to the area that it is in but maybe venture outside of just in NPC towns. maybe add entrances to areas such as ulfheim, panopticon, breach, etc.

anyway, more variety, more quantity, more difficulty... more more more :)

i 100% second that. thank you so much for asking for thoughts and being open to enhancing a really neat but under utilized mechanic in the game. keep up the great work :)

Rinaldi and that_shawn_guy like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If anything I would like a courage club entrance added to port harmony and guards there could supply a key when asked for it. I do not think this would be out of place for Mistrendur (it's more of a thing Norgard and Aerie Guards do in cities, at least on the Novia continent), but I'll leave that for you.

I think the original poster just was wanting a little bit more of a delay between each next spawn (The walls for the next enemy lower fairly fast upon defeating each foe in turn).

I would like possibly in Port Harmony to have it's own Courage Club that is a higher tier than the ones in Novia. When asking for a key to it, the guard could make it very clear the Port Harmony Courage Club is much more difficult than the wimpy one in Novia. The Courage Club has I believe about the toughest HP boss of around 2240 (The Iron Jarl). The final boss in the Port Harmony Courage Club one could be around 3K-5K. And rewards adjusted as such. You could just clone the Courage Club scene to save on Dev time, and just do some minor deco changes in there possibly.

And possibly in the Fun Department: Add a new Leaderboard category for Courage Club Champion and also Port Harmony Courage Club Champion (if added). This leaderboard would list the players with the most boss kills in each one of those scenes. This would at least add a new category of activity to the Leaderboard that is not Fishing.

You could also set the Courage Club up as another once daily Daily Quest and it just provides the standard 16,000 xp and some gold. Could also provide a Common artifact item as a reward.

I'll just throw this out there as some ideas for you to ponder. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    Tirrag and majoria70 like this.
  11. Sannio

Great ideas and feedback! Created issue #71582 with all the suggestions. Some feedback below.
    1. I've submitted a change that adds a 3- or 4- second delay after each fight. I don't want the delay to be too long because I want you "out of breath" for each fight. Frankly, the extra 3 or 4 seconds might be too much and I reserve the right to drop those times.
    2. Along with the change above, I added in some extra random humanoids to the pre-unique "boss" waves. Someone with a katana, an elf, etc.
    3. Tougher enemies makes a lot of sense these days, with everyone fighting Tier 5, 8, and higher enemies in Mistrendur. I'd like to leave the current Courage Club mostly as-is, but I'm also hesitant to make a completely separate venue. I have some ideas in this regard.
    4. POT teleporters for direct access to Courage Club are probably not going to happen. I also don't want to add monsters as enemies which goes against the core concept of people fighting people. Most of what was suggested by Tirrag seemed more like basements than aligned with Courage Club and I wonder if some players might have similar areas set up already.
    5. I'm not against adding Courage Club to Port Harmony. Not all guards give you the access key, but it seems reasonable that the guards in this New Britannia colony could be keeping the tradition alive in the north.
    6. I don't know how the leaderboards work. I'll have to ask about that.
    7. A daily quest might be OK, but I'd like to think of something more interesting than simply "finish the 5 rounds in a set." Let's explore some quest ideas for a moment.
      1. "Finish 5 sets" could be OK, but it's also kind of simple and could feel monotonous. More enemy variations could help reduce the monotony. A lower number than 5, such as 3, might also be more reasonable.
      2. Something like "Defeat the Iron Jarl" (randomly substitute another named enemy each time you get the quest) is closer, but you could randomly fail to draw him out for too-many sets and the quest would then feel annoying.
      3. We could combine the quest with the "tougher enemies" idea by saying "complete one set to unlock the set of high-tier enemies." It's a nice reward for players who want to keep advancing up a scale but the lower-threat sets then feel like an obstacle for players who just want to skip to the high-threat fights.

Sentinel2, Anpu, Tirrag and 1 other person like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Despite issues with the commemorative coins, this is pretty fun. You all might think of some other rewards to spend the coins on.

Next, I'm gonna try it in all indestructible gear.

Sannio likes this.
  13. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Titles:

Club Courageous? -- Complete challenge with all mobs green to the avatar and/or avatar uses a pet and/or avatar uses a summons.
    Club Courageous -- Complete challenge solo with not all enemies green to the avatar.
    Club Truly Courageous -- Complete challenge with all enemies red to the avatar.

Incorporate Chillblain's into the club. Perhaps if all mobs are green to an avatar, Chillblain's is suggested as the next challenge.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm just waiting for someone to setup Mario World on their lot using the coins.