Treasure Hunting Hooray. What do you think so far? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Nov 1, 2023.

1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Good day fellow avatars. I was happy to hear treasure hunting finally made it into the game. I had such great hopes for this system. I really want it to be special. I don't want it to be another grind fest as we've seen with other systems in the game. Such as grind for artifacts instead of a discovery system. You know like go kill mobs for hours to try to get an artifact.

Instead we could be exploring our world and come upon discoveries that lead us to find treasures. How about an NPC we come up on who in their dying last words they mention a treasure map and a clue to be figure out.

It would be interesting if Clues were discovered a long with maps in surprising places and through town gossip which could be randomized.

Also limited of course They could drop off a foe but not to the point of repetition and grinding. More likely occasionally they are fished up in a treasure cask or an npc might mention hearing of a lost treasure map.

So what do you think so far? Did we succeed in having a fun treasure hunting system?

What kind of special rewards do we have or could we have had? Below are some ideas.

Perhaps we find a decorative treasure chest brimming with gold and other treasures.

Perhaps it could be a special one of a kind painting.

How about the treasure found is one of 3 treasures the pirate buried and a clue is given with some gold to find the next one.

Perhaps it could be a special decorative goblet that grants the user a wish of a special mount

Or oh no perhaps the treasure is from a tomb of an evil sorcerer and one of the items found is cursed and will give the treasure hunter a curse if worn.

There could even be a hidden compartment in the treasure chest and the treasure chests themselves could be unusual decorative pieces.

Perhaps the avatar needs to find the cure which requires a wandering npc who shows up to lead the avatar to finding their cure or it might be the item can be uncursed.

Anyway is our treasure hunting looking to bring us some interesting adventures? What do you think?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Edited

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  2. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

It's been four years since I discovered SotA and during this time there have been great things but I have to say that the treasure maps are the best I've seen.
    It is interesting to discover which adventure zone the treasure is in, and search for the specific area once there.
    I've only cleared two decrepit treasure maps so far, and the rewards are really worth it. Now I have four more and I'm going to get to it. And I imagine the bloody maps will give bigger rewards, I can't wait to find one of these.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'd like to hear some experiences if you would like to share.

Lord Baldrith and myself separately did get the dig emote and treasure map from Selleck in Port Harmony. Each of us got a different numbered map and clue and did learn to turn the map over for the clue. So far the clues we've seen are very vague and this is a big game. As far as I can see you can carry the map around for quite some time to keep looking for a particular picture that looks like your map.

It seems treasure hunting will not be something that can be rushed and imo who does know the landscape of this game well enough to match it to the map picture. I have been around this game since 2013 and I guarantee I don't know all the landscape even though I have visited most scenes many times.

Anyway to shed some light on this new feature of the game it would be helpful to hear from others. My limited experience will not do justice to this new system and frankly so far I'm lost.

Perhaps we need something more interactive like coordinates which the game Aria uses. 7 days to Die has a fun treasure hunting system. Gorgon has treasure hunting as well.

Another idea would be that once you have activated the treasure map you found by opening it up you might get notices saying you're going the right way or you're getting colder or warmer. Perhaps when searching an area you could turn on a survey tool or something. Perhaps there is a treasure hunting skill that you could raise.

Anyway I think the system does need some work and some suggestions from the community to improve it and make it more fun. What would make it more fun in your opinion? Please try it first before responding to help.

Beaumaris and Isabel Ayin like this.
  4. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

I am loving the new treasure maps. The two I did in non PVP zones were places I could remember right off the top of my head.
    The PVP one I did took me a while to find because even though I go into those zones often you don't notice the terrain as much when you are on your guard.
    So searching gets that added excitement.
    vj

5. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

I've cleared a few more maps and, although a couple were repeats, the excitement of not knowing what you'll find in the treasure chest remains.

So far I haven't had any problems figuring out the clue on the back of the map, but figuring out where the x points may take a little more work, although it's not extremely difficult either.

I've read that humanoids are more likely to drop a map, but I got one from a small slime, in Tartarus.

As for the rewards, I have obtained:
    Recipes of all kinds, many weapons to sell, refined gems, a lot of ore, in some chests up to more than 1,000 gold, recipes for decorations that did not exist until now, such as "Log Bridge, (Long)" or "Stone Balaustrade (Straight) " and two antique maps of Novia, which are beautiful as decoration. And also parts of the torn up map.

The drawback I see is that we have to equip the shovel to dig and re-equip the weapons to fight treasure thieves. My character is level 121 and I have a ferocious wyvern as a combat pet, so the three or four seconds it takes me to re-equip weapons is not a problem, but for a tiny character it could be the difference between life and death. death.

And I would review the clock that indicates the time available to eliminate the thieves and open the chest. Each time it appears in a different place on the screen and is white. I would add the option of being able to lock it in one place and put a thin black border around the letters and numbers because if it's on a light background, it's a little hard to see <--- @Sannio

But it is a new system, surely our developers will polish it little by little.

6. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

I think the clues could be a little better. For example: I have no clue what S.B.R. could mean. :(

Isabel Ayin and majoria70 like this.
  7. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

The clues refer to the adventure zone where the treasure chest is located. Initials usually refer to a name. I suggest you look here: https://sotawiki.net/sota/Scene_Difficulty, you will surely find it ;)

majoria70 likes this.
  8. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Thanks, Isabel! I think that link was exactly what I needed. :)

Isabel Ayin and majoria70 like this.
  9. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Did my second PVP map tonight. After all the talk in U this morning about old PVPers that used to hang out in the zones killing newbs (like me 4 years ago) and wondering if any of them would be camping out at the treasure location. Over 45 mins in zone cuz I got a little sidetracked but nobody else showed up that I could see.

Vaentorian likes this.
  10. Afia Ashanti

Afia Ashanti Avatar

Is there a list of at least the scenes that are involved in the treasure hunting ?
    I only know Crooked Shank and Sunless Barrens so far. I never played much in the low level zones or did quests and it's hard to figure out with just the hints on the backside of the maps.

11. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

new recipes are great,
    3 x long log bridge

[​IMG]

Stone balustrade

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  12. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Alright, I had a chance to do one of these and I'll admit that it is fun. Isabel's link above was just what I needed.
    That treasure map also ended up giving me 2 more maps by the end. :)

13. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

oooh those look nice. thanks for sharing an image.

FrostII likes this.