Novian Tarot (Major Arcana)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jakkal, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Looking for ideas for the creation of a Novian Tarot Deck. Basically creating a set of new Major Arcana cards. It could a different # of Major Arcana, not necessarily the same as the Tarot Decks your familiar with.

This is an extension of my current conversationalist that gives tarot readings in game, in Mysteria @ MAD Aquarium streetsign. I intend to also produce a series of books describing the Major and Minor cards and their meanings at some point.

If Anpu was around he'd be a decent source as he has good knowledge of the Tarot and SotA. Hoping a few of you have some ideas / suggestions. If you are unsure of the meaning of the original cards you can google that info pretty easily.

Cards in the following list without a replacement may either be dropped from the Major Arcana cards or exist as they are. For example The World from the original deck likely remains The World in the Novian version of the deck.

Original Major Araca Cards | Suggested Replacement

The Fool | The Jester
    The Magician |
    The High Priestess |
    The Empress |
    The Emperor |
    The Hierophant | LB
    The Lovers | Love (depicting the Titan of Love)
    The Chariot | The Galleon or The Lunar Gates
    Strength | The Frozen Wastes card depicting the giant and frozen ground (representing inner strength overcoming challenges)
    The Hermit | The Isle of Storms (representing isolation)
    The Wheel of Fortune | The Wishing Well
    Justice | The Shardfalls
    The Hanged Man |
    Death | The Resurection Ankh
    Temperance | Sequanna
    The Devil | Chaos / DarkStarr
    The Tower | Tower of the Shuttered Eye
    The Star | The Star (A prince rides a dragon high in the sky below a shining star)
    The Moon | The Shattered Moon
    The Sun |
    Judgment | The Panopticon
    The World | The World

Ideas for additional cards...

The Fortress (Hilt Fortress)
    Truth (depicting the Titan of Truth)
    Courage (depicting the Titan of Courage)
    Honesty
    Compassion
    Valor
    Justice
    Sacrifice
    Honor
    Spirituality
    Humility
    The Merchant

The Oracle
    Lost Vale
    Clockworks
    The Beast
    (Dragons, etc)
    The Epitaph
    The Lighthouse

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Love this, just a suggestion, maybe make Arabella the Empress and LB the Emperor :)

3. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Possibly. I think the names would just be in the card description, the card name would still state "The Emperor" "The Empress".

In that case, should the Oracle replace The Hierophant? For this one, the card name would be changed to "The Oracle"

I also think Magic should have a card, but not as "The Magician". Not sure what to call it though. I'd like a better name than just "Magic"

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been working on my own tarot card project for a while involving Shroud and including doing the artwork. I'll get back to that here some time in the future.

Jakkal likes this.
  5. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Nice, I'm not an artist and this is mainly for a conversationalist tarot reader so the proposed deck is text based. Primarily for role players to have something of interest, getting a random tarot reading. I plan to include some randomization elements based on the game variables that can be loaded into a conversationalist.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Thats cool.

What I've been working on myself is part of a larger project, and at least partly related to some of the lore for my POT. Its not something that's really ready to reveal yet, so that's why I haven't, but I thought I might give you a heads up. I'm always willing to discuss it in private, especially if you might want to collaborate or share ideas.

Btw have you seen Portuguese playing cards
    [​IMG]

7. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Some of those seem familiar but don't recall when / where I've seen them.

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Very cool idea!

9. Dweyscomet

Dweyscomet Avatar

I think incorporating cards like "The Jester" and "The Galleon" could add a fresh perspective to your deck. Consider exploring themes like truth, compassion, and spirituality to further enrich the symbolism. Additionally, if you're seeking further inspiration, you might discover some valuable insights in this tarot guide at https://moretarot.com/. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024