SOTA - PVP Development and Hopes

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Cronic The BuDda, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cronic The BuDda

Cronic The BuDda Avatar

As I sift through these endless threads on the combat system within SOTA, I find myself wondering why every discussion seems to center around the PK aspect of PVP.

As an avid proponent of non-consensual, full loot PVP...I can tell you that PKing was not nearly as important to me as the guild wars, factions, and criminal chasing.

I will not waste my breath pleading to the developers to incorporate anything, as I believe in my heart that they understand the the longest lasting, most vocal and dedicated fans are all PVP driven.

Worlds need to collide (for trade or hunting) that opens you up to the very real possibility of losing your things to a vagabond (such as myself). Do not hunt with your nicest things, unless you are prepared to lose them. Do not live in a town that is prone to killing and murder (Bucc's Den) unless you are able to handle yourself. -- Also, offering free PVP lessons to those that simply are too lazy to take the time to learn the metrics of combat at its finest! ;)

Lastly, I want to say that no matter what is ever announced or "developed," these devs will plug in various forms of theft/killing and economy stimulating activity from a a perspective of including all player types.

blaquerogue, apoc01 and Trucidus like this.
  2. Trucidus

Trucidus Avatar

I agree completely. I would never try and argue the merits of open PvP, as most people are too worried about their pixels and inability to play video games at a competitive level. However, it must be obvious to people that crime stimulates the open market. Look at America or any other country for that matter if you need examples. The threat of loss is what creates opportunity for risk. People say luck is when preparation meets opportunity. The threat of loss is what forces people to prepare. When you get killed and lose everything you have worked hard on... that wasnt bad luck... it was bad preparation. The devs definitely understand this. It was the heart of UO for years and even when the general population clamored and was heard and eventually appeased, there were always mechanics for the black hearted to stand tall as teachers of the mainstream. Teachers who taught you to buy more than you needed, that caution is never to be thrown to the wind, and to hold on tightly to what is important to you.

The most important part of it all is the self-policing that gives the players a hand in the creation of their world. Just because mechanics are there, doesnt mean you cant stop them from being used. But keep in mind that just because the game doesnt have built in mechanics to support crime does not mean you are immune to it :).

Gruumsh, blaquerogue, apoc01 and 3 others like this.
  3. Cronic The BuDda

Cronic The BuDda Avatar

^^ Very well said Trucidus. ^^

4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I love this topic !

Cronic The BuDda likes this.
  5. Cronic The BuDda

Cronic The BuDda Avatar

I'm shocked to see zero feedback from the proponents of instanced PvP or no loot....

Can we get some feedback on Criminal flags and killing?

Abydos likes this.
  6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Any time now Darksrarr will post how the design looks like and right now it's rather pointless to discuss this. Once this is out in the open for everyone I guess there will be more lively discussions and suggestions.

tradyblix, docdoom77, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  7. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Yep, I'm in a hold pattern waiting for the PvP mega-post by DarkStarr which he indicated will arrive by the end of this week.

Cronic The BuDda likes this.
  8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Soon™

RelExpo, Cronic The BuDda and NRaas like this.
  9. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

As with most of the PvP threads, the key item missing here is an understanding by this crowd that a huge chunk of people dont care about PvP, are not interested in it, and view it as a side game played by people who dont want to participate in the actual game storyline or plot.

Again, they have little to no personal interest in PvP, are extremely complex players who rather enjoy mastering the artistry of other elements of the game, and generally view the PvP crowd in a negative light.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Ned888 and docdoom77 like this.
  10. Cronic The BuDda

Cronic The BuDda Avatar

Lady Innessa - combat is an aspect of any good online video game, the fact that it comes from another player (that may prove harder than any NPC you have encountered) should be irrelevant.

To suggest that the players in your proposed "huge chunk" are ones comprised of "extremely complex" and "master artisans," is generalizing. I too consider my game play style extremely complex and love art. I just happen to like to acquire my items through combat, as well as crafting and artistry and trade.

If anything I (we) are more complex because I(we) only add to the elements you have already generalized.

This is by no means to begin a battle on complexity of gamer types, but simply to understand that in order to bring in the new era of gaming Garriot is talking about...we need it all - in good order.

blaquerogue, Abydos, Ferrus and 2 others like this.
  11. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

I can pve without being online... pvp you can not.. so you play offline n well play online... I dont understand why pvers even play online games... its a pvp world... go on you tube n look for pvp vids vs pve vids on any game you wish... n ull see just cuz you dont pvp doesnt make it nothing n pve everything n then some.

apoc01 likes this.
  12. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Open world full loot pvp wins again!

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So that's the answer? The PvE player can get lost?

The story will develop on online mode. Engaging the story with friends/family/guilds/stangers is what this is all about. Some will choose to do it with PvP, some will ignore the story as much as possible and focus on PvP.

It's all about choice.

Ned888 likes this.
  14. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

All this means is that PvPers want other people to look at them more.

15. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Well what they impliment depends on if they want mass appeal or to stay true to their original longterm fans. I know they say they wont concede to voices clamoring for a wider market but when the dollars start calling most devs forget their original intentions and/or commitments

Ned888 likes this.
  16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Well, you certainly SOUND like more well rounded players! :rolleyes:

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Who would that be?

18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think RG is a teacher at heart. I'm sure all sides will learn a thing or two before it's over.

19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Those of us who played Akalabeth on our Commodore 64's; Apple II's; TRS 80's; etc. Some of us have been around for a looooonnnnngggg time....

20. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

^ what he said. I myself dont go all the way back to akalabeth but ever since i saw my neighbor with iron maiden posters, painted pewter figurines and playing a copy of ultima exodus ive been fervently following the series i had to pester my neighbor till we got in a fight before he let me borrow exodus. Look at dragon warrior 3 pretty much a direct followup to that kind of party making gameplay that exodus did so well. Except for the flickering line of sight things that made walls and tiles constantly flicker and dissapear then reappear

There is no game series that has a more fervent and dedicated playerbase than ultima

Ned888 and Joviex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.