Growing concerns about single-player -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Well I guess that answers my question sadly

from the last chat chris said not only that you wont get as good stuff or even access to it in friend only and below AND that LB is trying to force PVP so * IT, give me my money back.

* edited for language - Koldar

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I'll put this here so the most people may see it. I admit I have *not* watched the dev chat from yesterday, Monday, yet, but I have read the synopsis that Dame Lori was kind enough to post for everyone - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=dev-chat-recap-41513-chris-richard-on-maps-pvp-housing-more

Taken from the sysnopsis, I am guessing the concerns about PvP being 'forced' or that SPO/FPO modes won't receive the same rewards are from these parts of the recordings:

"- Richard deeply believes the story he is crafting will make everyone comfortable with the idea of protecting newbies from harm, and also embracing danger within the story. He feels people will want to take risks given the nature of the story. They are trying to satisfy both UO players and single player Ultima players."

"- You will only be able to get PVP contraband quests and high level resource area scenarios in OPO. You will not be able to switch to escape. They will make sure what rewards you get are comparable to what you can get in SPO/FPO but they will have more trophy/prestige/achievement. So it will be more vanity than power gain."

Could someone that has watched the video (I can't until tonight) explain to me how RG is forcing PvP, as it sounds to me like it is being encouraged but is not required, and how the good stuff is only available in OPO if the rewards in SPO/FPO are comparable and the difference is more vanity than power gain?

Thanks, and I hope that everyone will at least wait and see how RG tries to merge the two types of players and their concerns before abandoning the game; I believe he can pull it off.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I seriously do not think for a second they are going to bring SPO/FPO into PVP with strangers.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bioforge

Bioforge Avatar

RG has responded NUMEROUS times in videos to people having the same concerns about single player and has said they are making a single player game in the vein of U4-U7 but even more epic. I find it odd seem to profess you only want a good single player experience yet pledged get a knights house which one could argue falls more in line with the online aspect of the game.

5. Bioforge

Bioforge Avatar

@ Lori Did they say companions were out of Sota or did I misunderstand your earlier post? I thought they said you would have companions in this game (single player).

6. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

I have never seen people so scared of pvp in my whole gaming career.

Just stat your character to avoid PKers....

I enjoy exploration in MMORPG's, and my favorite thing is to play the market in these games and get rich it fits my character personality.

So... Since I like exploring usually I run into PvP so I can guarantee I will build my character for speed, damage reduction, health, and enough cc to make it not worth chasing me down if I want to adventure and explore the world. And get creative find odd ways to get from point "a" to "b". As an explorer type I plan to run a lot of contraband it will be a lot of fun when all the pvpers and pkers that are min maxing cant catch you because you built yourself for CC/speed!

@Sir Asguard

You sound pretty whiny about the situation, the dev's said the opposite of almost all you said, of course a player that survives all the PvE mobs and all the PvPers/PKers should get more items and prestige out of getting a rare contested resource node... Play in FPO you can get rewards just as good for doing different tasks but you wont get the same prestige for it... This is very fair and balanced! No PvP is forced unless you feel like your forced to do contraband and rare resource node quests - but they said that in SPO and FPO you will still have certain quests that will yield as much loot.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

People have concerns with it aren't scared of it, and that is a shoddy way to put it. They just don't want it, either because they have had bad experiences or have no interest or whatever. Sure you can build your PVP combat character, anyone can that isn't some magical skill, that isn't the issue at all. Some would rather just not deal with idiots at all that generally come with that system.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

@rune_74

It's a Sandbox game, anyone that buys the game can play. And they can play how they want, that's why they give you single player options and FPO. And in any gaming world a lot of people like to blow all their pent up aggression on other players in game, these players definitely are not a minority. Just learn to deal with them or play SPO and get slightly less prestige but the same rewards.

I understand it's a sandbox game that's why I will build my character to run away very well. No reason to fight just run it's quite fun.

9. Relic

Relic Avatar

Word PvP isn't as bad as people make it out to be though, but that's beside the point.

10. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

its not the pvp thats bad. its the pvpers

11. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

I really must re-interate that there is nothing to worry about. I watched the Dev hangout live last night and they did not mention anything about forced multiplayer. The online gaming default will at various points throughout the game when the RG and Chris feel that doing so will be more enjoyable for the player switch between single player and pvp etc. however they also stated that the default can be switched off to suit to playing style and preference e.g. 100% single player or 100% pvp or somewhere in between. If you chose not to play in default... What you won't be able to do is play in ways that can be categorised as rigging the game... Eg entering an area designed as pvp in pvp mode and switching to single player to escape with the loot unscathed. I personally think the game is going to be amazing. If anyone feels so strongly about it they should participate in the Dev hangouts etc. The game is still be built... I guarantee it will change 100 different ways between now and release. People who pledged large sums of money like myself believe in RG, his team and their vision. Nothing has changed. Just be patient and wait and see what happens

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't know what people aren't getting.

There's a game which is basically single player and takes you through a story. You can play with friends. You can add some PvP flavor. This is designed for a audience that enjoyed the first Ultimas. No one is forced to do anything at all. That game finishes and you win.

After this game is done, if your character is stored online, you can continue to explore things in the world with other players. At this point, Lord British isn't writing the story. The players are. The map will be affected through the actions of players, including control of towns and castles. There may be a castle that it hostile to you where people don't want to let you in. This is no different from you not wanting other players in your house. They might not want you gathering resources on their land. This is no different from you not wanting someone else dig up your garden. You're more than welcome to join the guild of the players owning the castles. You might also simply become their friend. Or you can decide that you don't like them and work with others to remove them. There's still no PvP anywhere if you don't want it. But clicking a checkbox somewhere doesn't allow you to go into their house and steal their stuff anymore than they can do the same to you.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

@ Bio|=orge - Every time I heard someone ask if there would be companions, RG kind of did the "Ehhh.." thing and said, well there may be henchmen to hire, there will be pets, and there will be characters you care about in the story, and maybe you can 'rent' out your real life friends while they are offline. I think I've caught all the vids (I may not have seen all the forum posts) but I've never heard them say there will be party companions in the game.

I think it's a hard thing to do, imagine all the players walking around with an Iolo and a Dupre.. :) Don't think it will be any different for offline SP. So it does sound like there may be vital characters but they won't actually be in your party.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

@PrimeRib I'm not sure what people aren't getting either. I mean, there's going to be a completely awesome Single Player mode with an epic storyline... how can I call it epic and I haven't read what it is yet? Five words: <i>Tracy Hickman and Richard Garriott</i>. Professionals.

Next, PvP seems to be the bigger issue. I've heard it before from RG and other devs but I'll state it here. If you don't want to PvP you do NOT have to. What's that mean? If you don't want to PvP you do NOT have to. Sure there will be some quests that aim you towards a place that might be PvP enabled but guess what... you do NOT have to do it.

@Smack brought up an interesting point though that some areas, which are PvP, contain certain resources that can only be gathered there. That means you have to PvP! OH NO! In truth, Good. There should be places that are intimidating and have a risk for entering. This doesn't make the game imbalanced at all. This opens up new avenues. How so? PvPers will go to these areas, collect said resources, they might keep some for themselves but they might sell some to Non-PvPers. Great! Trading! If they don't want to trade, so be it. If you want or need that resource, you will have to go down there. Does this mean you might have to PvP? Heaven forbid yes but that's just something you will have to deal with.

I'm not a PK, I'm not even really a PvPer... I'm a Merchant. But I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty OR to hire folks to assist me. The perception of PvPers being ALL BAD is unfounded. Obviously there are griefers (but you'll be able to report them anyways), but there are also Anti-PKs and then folks that just enjoy PvPing in a RP sense.

It's quite irrational to just want to already up and quit the game that hasn't even come out yet, especially if you were a Kickstarter because the whole point was to help the developers out and let them know how YOU want to play the game. And I'm positive they will do their best to make it a fun experience, regardless of Single Player or Multiplayer and PvP.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@Munkus I'm not sure you understand what a sandbox game is...it doesn't automatically include pvp.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

@RelExpo... Great points. I think that's all that needs to be said on this point which must be getting as tiresome to hear as it is to say. On a lighter note. What type of merchant do you like playing? Are you hoping to own and run an in game store?

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Also, I think it is to early to quit the game....but I also think it is fine to voice your concerns, even if some are dead set on making you feel that you shouldn't.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

@rune_74

A sandbox game, means you can create the world and do as close to ANYTHING as possible... this means a lot of times people will kill you because they feel like doing so!

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That is your definition of sandbox. Usually it is the game is a sandbox not player vs player. Problem with a sandbox with no rules is you get the worst possible people.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

@rune_74 I agree also on both points. However, the reason the pvp question is so strong is because they are on the chat room and in the Dev Hangouts asking the questions. I think the single player is as passionate about he game as those who prefer multiplayer, they are just less vocal about it in the places that matter in direct contact with the devs. Any concerns or questions I have, I go direct to those places. As there is currently no Dev involvement on this thread, I think people are getting worked up to get both points across. The only people that can reassure you either way are the devs. So ask the questions or let me know what you want to ask specifically, and I will happily ask the, for u in the Dev Hangouts until you get the answer you want - positive or negative. However, do you know what... I don't think it matters at this point because it will all change when we get into the developer discussions when the developer tier upward discussions start in the coming weeks. However, rest assured I will be putting forward ideas to enrich the whole gaming experience - in particular the single player and the concerns people have over pvp. So sit back and relax and watch the future unfold. This game is going to be AWESOME!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.