Growing concerns about single-player -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We have just been answering questions that have been asked in chat or through Google. We have been talking more about multiplayer elements because they have been asking more questions!

I think we've been pretty open that on the quest and story side of things, we're really just focusing on the single player experience and making it a single player experience that can be played with other people around! We've also been clear that there will even be parts of the single player quest line that will force you into a single player mode.

If we were just remaking Ultima Online, we would not have brought in a story telling talent like Tracy Hickman. We feel we know what is important to each side of our divided audience and if anything, the single player game people will be getting more dev time total than the online guys in the long run.

The open world is NOT PVP. That rumor is being spread by some trolls in the forums. We've been VERY clear that PVP will be consensual and not required. The rewards of PVP will primarily be things that are only valuable to PVP'ers. You will be safe from PK'ers and so will the goods of your house unless you choose to join in.

Join in with questions for the next dev chat and I'll answer them!

Thanks!
    Chris Spears

Time Lord, Noctiflora and Freeman like this.
  2. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

@CitizenMaximusas It does sometimes get a little tiring *chuckles*

But yes, there will be ways to avoid PvP, ways to engage in it so I don't see a real problem. They are making it as broad as possible and since it's still VERY early, we've got time to iron out more details.

Père Fouettard likes this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Think those details just got ironed out:)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Eggy Bagels

Eggy Bagels Avatar

I think it's pretty clear that this isn't an MMO. I mean, no one has discussed a server farm AFAIK. So, why do players keep opening up new discussions as if this game is an MMO--and secondly, why do the developers allow those misconceptions to continue? So, exactly, how does multiplayer work in this game? Because allowing the misconceptions to continue without explaining it clearly is just wrong. Or am I wrong in my assumption that this is not an MMO? I see threads about "the trinity" and so forth. For $2M total, I assume you guys aren't hosting a free server. So what's the deal?

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Chris, thank you so much for your answer. This brings back my confidence in the game.

6. Sirinan

Sirinan Avatar

@Chris - thank you! That certainly eases my concerns.

7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Chris thank you for your answer but I do have to point out that you suggested on your last chat with LB that both LB and Tracy were looking at weaving PVP into the main story which makes it mandatory.

This was the main thing which concerned me

8. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I'm glad some concerns have been quelled. That's why we have to keep the developers updated on our feelings and them to us as well.

@Maximusas asked what type of merchant I am... I have typically run shops in another (few) worlds, but what I enjoyed was dealing with customers and making contacts for certain goods. I used to also create roleplaying events where I would have a caravan of pack mules with goods on them, hire some players as mercenaries to help me travel to my destination. I couldn't use a moongate because the artifacts I had would be damaged by that type of magic (RP reason).

I'm looking forward to running a tavern/inn/provisioner shop in SotA.

9. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

@Chris. You are the man. I think you have quelled many of the concerns highlighted in this thread. Damn those trolls lol.

@RelExpo. That's sounds really cool. I look forward to visiting your in game dream when it is realised. Loving watching Stephen drawing the tavern on Dev hangout

10. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

@Chris: Thanks a lot for the answer. Hope you are not mad, when we continue asking questions about that topic in future hangouts =)

11. Eggy Bagels

Eggy Bagels Avatar

So what does that mean, @Chris, @Wyse, others? The question hasn't been addressed and remains in the air. You can't have an MMO without an expensive server farm. So how do you talk about persistent game content when the game server works like Battle.net, a matchmaking server, which then offloads bandwidth to the players, presumably? I really just don't think most of the contributors/future players understand that you need a server in order to do some of the things they're talking about. It's expensive. The only way to do it is player-as-server like Battle.net. (In case I wasn't clear, I'm just hoping for a SP game myself).

12. smack

smack Avatar

@Jonathan Harbour: They've talked at length about this. This is not a classic client-server style MMO. The server only exists to store the persistent world states and do the player matchmaking, along with some other logic. Practically the entire game itself is on your computer. The client itself is really its own server. That's how they're able to get away from doing massive server farms that computed all game logic, with the clients being just dumb input and rendering engines.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I am not sure anyone was trying to really troll about the situation, I think it was general concern after comments in the forums by RG.

Time Lord and Acrylic 300 like this.
  14. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

And from Firelotus on the chat =) :

"Our next Dev Hangout will be on Thursday at 9am CST and will be a roundtable discussion led by Lord British himself. Join us as he and the Dev Team discuss the PvE side of Shroud of the Avatar! As always, I?ll have the exact link where you can watch 15 minutes prior to broadcast, and you can submit your questions via Google using the #LBSotA_Hangout tag, or from the Shroud of the Avatar Chat Room!"

15. High Baron Asguard

I was about to post that too Andi

well heres the time link anyway
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Dev+Chat%2C+PVE&iso=20130418T09&p1=210

16. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

@Sir Asguard - I had thought Chris was just joking about LB and Tracy being evil and it wasn't a serious implication that SP will need to PVP. Bad joke I guess? >_>

Time Lord likes this.
  17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I still don't get what people are panicing over. This is not new information. This is what they've said all along. There's basically two fringe opinions that don't work well in a mulitplayer online game:

1) I want to kill anyone anywhere and drop all their stuff. They will have no where to hide and no one to protect them.

2) I want to have myself and my stuff fully protected from everyone else. But I want full access to everyone else's stuff because: I don't want to talk to them, I dont want pvp, and I don't think I should have to pay for it.

What they'll do is try to accommodate as many people in between these two extremes as possible. Arguing for one of the other of these gets no where. Finding compromises does.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. High Baron Asguard

Oh, ummmm my bad

Sometimes I don't pick up on jokes and considering the rumors which had been going around here with that on top of it.... I got concerned that I had sunk WAY to much money into a game which is the complete opposite to the sort of games I like

19. High Baron Asguard

PrimeRib whos STUFF are you talking about? who has said ANYTHING about going into peoples houses? Its the GAME everyone wants access to, not peoples houses

20. slamelov

slamelov Avatar

I'm very interested in multiplayer coop if it has a great history

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.