Suggestions for housing

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Lord Ruinsor Rubble, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ruinsor Rubble

Lord Ruinsor Rubble Avatar

I think your already doing this however to put it simply, Ultima Online style security settings. Could lockpicking skill give you access to someone's house to snoop around but not steal and if guards catch you lockpicking on a failed attempt could you be put in the town jail for a certain duration of time? Stealing from others houses could be possible however that might make game to difficult to play if stuff constantly getting stolen. I hope this is the right forum for ideas on housing. Keep up the good work. Power through get this game done with bugs out can't wait to try in release 4. Thank you for your time in reading my rant.
    P.S. -What about a stable at house for pets or ships that sail rowboats for houses on the water.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh I didn't take it as a rant. It's great to bounce ideas around. I haven't heard that much about lock picking and stealing yet, but I think there are plans to have thieving in the game in some form. Perhaps many rogue like skills. I thought I heard someone say that our houses will have permissions that we can allocate. Yes I agree, hurry up release 4.:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Nothing like going into my house only to find some jerk followed me in stealthed and logged off so when i logged in next there was a whole group of squatting gankers that robbed me and had my house camped for days. That is griefing and shouldnt be allowed imo. I shouldnt lose everything i own in less than an hour after taking weeks or months to get it

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I think most people will be using the bank for storage but for housing security won't be as big of a deal since people can't gank you unless you are flagged.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

+ 1

Had my house key stolen once... Thieving is ultimately what drove me to quit UO

6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Yup me too. After everyhthing u work for gets solen theres no reason to do it all again

7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Although I agree with mmjarec and KWScott about keeping players' stuff safe in their own houses..
    I do love subterfuge, and hope there are ample chances to practice sneaking, thieving, etc. both virtuously and unvirtuously.. :D
    Even if it's just NPC houses that we have the opportunity to thieve from (either randomly, based on location, or perhaps quest related).

I always prefer 'sandbox' where you don't only get to practice skills within the confines of a story and the emersive qualities these types of realistic situations present. (including capture and jail time).

8. dontcounttoday

dontcounttoday Avatar

I do not understand the people that want 100% security in a game. I dont think someone should be able to sneak into your home and then have access to stealing anything and everything, and I do think there should be some security but also some risk.
    UO had a pretty great system in place with the lockdown system. As long as its locked down, no one can access it outside of those you allow. Forget to lock down, or run out of available lock downs but still place your items, then they could be at risk for being stolen.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And I don't understand the people that wish to prey on other people and take from them what they've earned/crafted/bought and put real effort into... either in real or virtual life.

So I guess we're even.

Sir Frank and Iona like this.
  10. dontcounttoday

dontcounttoday Avatar

I guess I dont look at it as preying on people. Its just another aspect to a game, to be the bad guy. After playing older MMOs, the new generation panders so much to those afraid for their possessions its boring to me. Whats the fun in PvP when you have nothing to lose. Risk adds exhilaration to a game and it makes people think twice before charging in to a situation.

In my opinion UO was in its hayday back before item insurance. Maybe even before the Tram/Fel development.

Again, I do not wish for a game with the amazing player housing that is here on SotA to be 100% risk. I do not wish for the dullness of 100% security either. What was wrong with the lockdown system of UO? The only time your items are not secure is the brief period of time that you lay it on the floor. If you are careful with keeping your door locked and dont forget to use the lockdowns its not really an issue.

On a side note, what happens to plots that you own if you are gone for extended periods of time? Aren't a lot of plots given by player donation right now guaranteed rent free? Does this mean that if a player stops playing their plot is forever abandoned? I would assume not but I havent seen anything about housing decay or plot ownership decay.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes, I know. That's the problem. It's fun for you, but not for your unwilling victim.

That doesn't seem to adversely affect Call of Duty, Battlefield, and I hear Titanfall is selling like hotcakes and getting rave reviews.

12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I posted the above on the PvP thread in regards to full loot loss on death, but I think it applies here in regards to having items stolen, or your house entered into, as well. Some people absolutely enjoyed UO more because of things like the possibility of getting PK'd, or robbed/conned out of belongings, but a whole lot of people have said they did not and some even have said it's the reason they stopped playing.

The devs have mentioned that after a period of time (I believe 6months was mentioned) an 'abandoned' rent-free lot would have all it's items put into the owner's bank and the lot freed up for other deed holders.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I asked that question myself, and had a bit of the FAQ pointed out to me that I'd missed. Plots will revert, even Rent Free plots, after an extended period of account inactivity. I don't believe the exact length of time has been determined.

So, no, they won't be gone forever.

14. dontcounttoday

dontcounttoday Avatar

I dont know Titanfall but CoD and BF are completely different games. Theres nothing to lose because you do not have any items. Theres no risk because the entire basis of the game is shoot each other over and over and over. Not an RPG in any way. Its better to compare it to WoW which is massively successful and risk free pvp. To each their own though.

Yeah of course some people enjoy the risk, others dont. I've personally become bored of all these MMOs where there is no risk in player interaction, just kill each other for fun with no reason to think about what youre doing and decide if it's worth it. I've been waiting a long time for something like old style UO pvp and housing risk.
    Have the devs mentioned anything about looting on death? I havent read into the pvp aspect at all as I've focused on housing the past few days of reading.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I was one of those people.

I followed the development of UO religiously. I was in the Alpha trial. I was one of the Knights of the Silly Skirt. I contributed to the Prima Guide. I was one of the First 9 Counselors recruited to help other players. I worked for a very long time, becoming a GM Bowyer and paid for the first Multi-Room house on Moonglow on the Great Lakes server.

I had my house key stolen, and managed eventually, to get my house back... but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM was it Fun for me, though those who had taken what was mine, worked for and achieved over a very long period of time, took apparent glee in my discomforture.

I quit the game shortly thereafter.

The game that I had such Passion for had turned into a cesspool...

Phredicon likes this.
  16. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Time Lord, NRaas and Koldar like this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

To answer your question about plot decay rates, it is posted in the FAQ here. At different pledge levels they decay at different rates.

18. dontcounttoday

dontcounttoday Avatar

You apparently quit after such a short period of time in UO that you never played it at a time when everything wasn't 100% stealable. That must have been at the times when you could just walk into a house and take everything laying around, and stealing a house key basically made it your house. So the game you had so much passion for was never safe, as it later became (which you hated...?). I'm just confused because UO became more watered down and safe over time, not the other way around.

19. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I'd like to see a compromise that allows break-ins, but without any form of stealing. Providing that stealing is completely impossible, and owners can ban people that they detect, break-ins would benefit RP without facilitating griefing. Additionally, detection would be very easy for the owner, and house locks would be on par with the most difficult locks in the game, requiring a maxed locksmith and a rare resource expenditure (such as an expensive lock pick or an additional tool).

Also, for the love of the Oracle, stop arguing about UO and Trammel. There are better places for these topics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.