New to the SotA forums but a bit surprised at a few of the PvP posts

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kreese, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kreese

Kreese Avatar

I would never expect nor ask for any mmo to bring back UO pre-trammel rules
    There are not enough people who understand how to play that way and they don't find it fun so i wouldn't force it on them

So, if you are like me and played UO for years before trammel then cherish the memories!
    We are some of the very few who will ever get to experience what a rush it was just to do the most mundane tasks, chopping wood or mining in old school UO was NEVER boring very much the opposite actually - i was almost always blue (i was never red on any main i played) but i understood at the time how special it was and more importantly that it could NEVER last.

feel free to skip to the conclusion from here - or read on for some of my memories and tldring
    ---

Here is my list of Old School UO un-written rules
    1) when a red(s) attacked me i ALWAYS fought back no matter what, many times i would be in a dungeon surrounded by blues that would vanish at the first hint of red on a screen, well i may loose but no way do i run from a fight
    2) when i bested a red i NEVER killed them (no need to put someone in stat loss and make a permanent enemy you proved yourself in combat and if you spare them you have the possibility of an ongoing truce) unless i had reason (there were several of them i never approved of 3 on 1, i had history with them, they were known community griefers)
    3) I didn't stick my nose in other fights (red or blue) unless i had reason (same as 2, yes i would occasionally attack blues who were trying to gank a red)
    4) if a blue attacked me then i not only always fought them but if i bested them then i ALWAYS killed them, afterward if they returned I would decide what items they got back, hey a good role player might get everything back a sore loser nothing - best to teach them UO un-written rules early - i got out of trouble on a number of occasions with good role play - and if you did get killed many reds would give you some items back if you rp'd well

note on three - remember just because those characters were blue didn't mean they didn't have counts and that red may very well of been trying to work off counts to go blue after doing some bounty hunting (sitting in your house to go blue is boring) so yeah i never liked ganking in either direction

it was actually amazing how civil some reds were but i know that was only because they knew me but then again that is what made old school UO what it was - if all you ever did was run from reds and Kal Ort Por then yeah i imagine you thought it sucked but i never experienced it that way I prefered keeping In Jux Sanct up and using a DP katana (DP would weed out almost all amateurs, so you knew right away if you were dealing with someone above average)

some things about UO that current gen mmo players forget or don't remember:
    1) current gen mmo player alway use BIS gear - old school UO players only used enough gear for the job at hand - 99% of the time i had on gm crafted everything and a dp katana plus my kit of potions and bandages - if i lost it all i only really lost 15 mins crafting
    2) aoe spells hit friendlies, everyone was freely lootable, these two things combined to prevent very large scale groups of reds - i never saw a group of reds number more than 5 or 6 due to these reasons (you might see more than this during an order/chaos battle but those were usually in town for that very reason) - a smart blue group would run into the group of reds - they have far more to lose - plus if you run with a large group of reds and you die as a red not only are you in stat loss but now one of your "friends" looted your corpse and you have NO real way to prove which so how trusting are you going to be next time out lol yeah

I would not be forgiven for posting memories of Sonoma and not telling of BlackTalon's solo defeat of a 30+ member guild in the T2A ophidian area but I'll keep the entire tale for another time

---
    So in conclusion, lets remember old school UO fondly but at the same time we should stop looking for a second "first" love, lets trust RG to do what his years of mmo experience tells him is best to advance his vision

founder/original owner of THE Brit moongate shop on Sonoma (yip i moved my shop to Trammel when it came out and quit shortly after) Lord Parres - character deleted rip old guy

Dadalama, Time Lord, Sir_Tim and 5 others like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you for your post, and I understand how that might have been enjoyable for you and for others. However, that whole period holds no fond memories for me, or the memories that were once fond have all been tainted by all of the bad ones. None of it was enjoyable. I simply wished to be left alone to play as I wished... I was not allowed this luxury. I was ganked, I was harassed, I was killed and then verbally abused, I was stolen from up to and including my house for a time though I did manage to get it back.

I will completely agree with your conclusion. I've no wish for a repeat of that (for me) nightmare.

Time Lord and Silent Strider like this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Kreese,
    I've never played UO but this is exactly the experience I was hoping to have in SotA. Lord British is just some guy I met at a wedding. I don't have the faith that you do in that our multiplayer experience will be as rich as that. The unfortunate thing is that the more intractable members of this community fail to realize is that the chance of them being in the same hex as these dreaded PKers are is very small given the way the player matching system is proposed.
    I especially enjoyed your comments about looting. Welcome to the community and I hope to see you in the game sometime.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Here's the thing. A lot of us can point back to UO and say how they met this honourable person, or this honourable guild, or whatever. I know I can. Such folk existed! But I can also point back to plenty more people who, now that I look back, were playing like sociopaths and made the game quite annoying at times. 17 years on, and with way more people into MMOs, and an even broader spread of ages, that number of sociopath style gamers has risen accordingly.

And that's why, when designing a game in this day and age, it's not as simple as saying, "Yeah, let's go back to something like pre-Trammel!" (and I note you aren't saying that, OP, but you can bet your life that other people are...)

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Canterbury, I agree with everything you said.

Canterbury and Time Lord like this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

This game is not going to have millions of players with the added player matching for each hex, many of the devs' solutions look like to they are in search of problem. What about all of these posts about how great this community is? Were you people lying? It appears to me that many of those living in fear before the game is even out are those that should be playing in single player.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Haha, good times. Great story and a lesson for the developers on Felucca being a "safe place" and drawing people in; but never keeping people in the game.

I remember running around and waiting for reds to attack me. I some how came across a death executioners axe and a death stained black robe(both extremely rare-even more so the axe). For those that dont know, there were objects in the game that were called "Death <Object Name>". Anything with the word death in front of it is something that would re-spawn with you. And with the game being Open Loot, that was important. But I had gotten grand master at Anatomy, Lumberjacking, Swords, and Tatics. In UO each of these had a multiplier to the axe category of weapons.

I'm not sure too many people discovered this cause it was kind of "easy mode". But I could "two hit"(called this for the number of times it took to swing and kill someone) someone with an executioners axe and one hit someone with a Large Battle Axe. I had a blast just wondering the forest, waiting for a "red" (red's were murderers-aka PK'ers) to attack me with my black death robes on. The black robes themselves were highly desired. Well they would hit me, I would axe them once down to about 1/3rd of their life.. .they would freak and run, I would chase and finish them off.

The other trick I liked doing was to hide in a high PvP area and wait for someone to attack an innocent. Then sneak up with an battle axe; one hit them, and run for my life. They instantly die and all their friends chase me. I would run around a corner and hide; they would go running by. Too much fun; wont have that fun here though.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Some of us knew this template well.
    I had Jason Voorhees and Lumberjerk.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Fond Memories of being Fondled"o_O

Good to see you here Kreese:) I too have many good memories of all my PvP friends in the bygone days of UO :mad:... "I'll kik yo' A'... :mad: .."That Bit#$ Got my sward" .. :mad: ... "call the guild up, it's time to kik som but".. :mad: ... "they'd'a never got me if I hadn't been AFK"...:mad: ... "They looted our guild after they joined us on the guild stone ... :(*sniffle*... Ahh, the good old days :D

(TFS) The Fellowship of Siege Perilous, (UMP) the Universal Melting Pot of many shards and (RUN) Diakoku of Wakoku shard....
    Yet from what I've seen here that's been said about our SotA, "The hungry Wolves and the fat Sheep" will have their places to carry on what RG always wanted to do... which was kill us all in the all the ways "we all wanted" to be killed in the first place... to each his own, but if your greedy, get ready for a fight:mad::D

See ya' ingame Kreese;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Father Guido Sarducci and Jambo like this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Time Lord, ever play with UMP on the Lake Austin shard? I remember UMPtown from LA. Been there many times.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*the Time Lord drops and shakes his head laughing as he wipes a tear from his eye and gives a wink*... "so many Time's, in so many places";)

Aye I say Duke Greagoir,

"And I'll tell ya' a bit of a story"...

The UMP (The Universal Melting Pot) have a very long and interesting history behind them that spread to many shards of the shattered UO's Gem Stone of shards. They were (and still are) a guild that came along with me through many different shattered guild stones throughout their very long and colorful history.
    The group actually began from a small newbe training guilds of the first UO shards (the name of which escapes me). Yet, there in the time of UO just coming out of Beta, there came one called "The Dirty Old Man" who was famed by all that knew him as a flawless RP and very tough chr through all categories of skills of which I was but one of the many of his students who decided to stay on and help with his little newbe training guild there on Moonglow. Yet Time's change as they always do with the first advent of the beginning of the Siege Perilous. When that shard of the stone opened, I first met a chr named "Thunderlips", who had worked his butt off and placed the first house and the first guildstone ever upon that shard. he was an industrious fellow who had but one companion, who wanted to start selling Order Shields from his newly placed small house there on Moonglow (a small house that still to this day wares a special sign that reads "First House of the Shard"). But back to this selling of Order Shields business... If I remember correctly, he was selling his Order Guild memberships for 200gold which thus provided each new member with a very good shield that was by far better than any that could be crafted in those youngest of SP's days. I was placed 3rd on his stone, but with other purposes in the mind...

"The Order Guild of The Fellowship of SP Shard (TFS)"...
    I was a special type of combat soldier in the younger days of my real life called a Jedi (Ronald Reagan had a real hard on after watching Star Wars LoL. But it was nothing like the movie which was made thereafter featuring Jeff Bridges .. but I digress...) . But I came out with a knack for recruiting people for hopeless causes, and I wanted to transpose that knack into UO to see if it would work in such an online anarchy. So I first went to recruiting those trainers and great RPers from that old newbe guild and so they all came with me as I needed some RP attractive flavor to center the TFS community into more of a family of friendly companions for the others to bind with and be attracted to.
    Entering what would be known in years to come as "the flash guild technique"...
    I think I must have spent 90% of my time recruiting "every single person I could come in contact with" and even to the point of me and my core constituents paying any new recruit's guild membership ourselves. The guild got so large that our Guild's Master started being the most inaccessible man anyone ever knew... which was what I told him was fine because that made his chr into somewhat of a legend to most as it was very rare to ever see him, which was exactly what he wanted to do was hunting solo and make "fast cash". I won't tell you who he was IR, *winks at RG* But he was one of the greatest players of the game. Well, it didn't take too long before we had reached just over 100 guild members, who could call up around 40 for PvP of any raiders that were foolish enough to come back for a second helping. Thus providing some secure feelings among those that took the shield, yet were artisan crafters and others who had never ever thought of ever wanting to be in an Order PvP guild... thus our retention rate was high and in return there goods were ether donated or came very cheap to any of our fighting PvPers. (SP was a very tough place to get or afford stuff in back in those early days). It was around that Time that the first ever UO Quest was launched on SP Shard. 42+ hours later, the Fellowship became the first to ever crack a UO sponsored Quest, which was completed by one of our 14 or so Russian members...and me... this news only helped the recruitment in our numbers, even though we all didn't speak the same language. One thing Russians know how to do well and enjoy so much, "Is PvP Fight!":D... (but that's something I knew too well from having been in the US Army;))
    Anyway.... I knew from the beginning where this plan of mine was all heading to, because "every large pimple needs to, and will eventually pop"... and it was becoming very hard to find our enemy Chaos. So, I set out to make more solid verbal contact with the many scattered Chaos Guilds, dying countless times within each attempt, because by that Time, I had become very well known by walking down the streets of Brit Bank with 160+ people greeting me as I entered brit... "Hail My Good Brother or Sister" was out guild's greeting.. thus "Hail My Good Brother Hamlet" being cried out by 160+ people can be a very shocking reality of loosing one's privacy in any wished for solo hunting.... signaling me, that it was past Time for the pimple to pop... having a guild stone that numbered well over 260 players. (one chr per account on SP)...
    The beginning of the End..
    So I eventually got with the Chaos leaders and organized a few battles between us, where Thunderlips the legend, would actually make his special guest appearance. but it was just after the first battle of 3 opposing Chaos Guilds, that finally convinced the other 2 Chaos guilds, to join in because TFS was just too dammed large to face... fore we had entered the days of the largest UO combats that the world of gaming had ever known before, with battles involving 400+ happy, screaming, bloodied, rally calling PvPers spanning 9-12 computer screens of extremely thick live, as well as dead bodies all beating each other over the head and touching themselves. After 4 huge battles and 3 months of non-stop skirmish fighting later, I found myself at the Moonglow Bank wearing some Chaos player's tri-corner hat and my final set of plate pants, holding a club with 50+ Band-Aids in my pack surrounded by 40 of my Good Brothers and Sisters... and that's when Thunderlips told me he had finally sold his account (for which he had been hoping for to do all along with my secret approval) and so after he left, I explained his situation to the others (which is a secret I will not share here) and I took control of the stone and ended it all, including deleting my then Chr known as Hamlet of TFS...

The Invasion of Japan...
    or, "How to Aggressively and Politely Piss Off Your Foreign Neighbors"...
    From the ashes of SP, I gathered my core constituents along with a few other TFS and dragging along with me, "The Dirty Old Man" and took us all to the Japanese Shard of Wakoku. There we established one of newly UO designed Marble Workshops there on Moonglow and set out recruiting every player there that was not Japanese, as well as some Japanese players who just loved practicing their English skills in typing. We bought some RL store books on the Japanese language and set ourselves to the task of mingling with the local natives by displaying our, (then unknown to Japanese Shards) RP Politeness in our own as well as in their language.
    I set the Guild's Stone and named it (RUN) Daikoku... (RUN) for being antagonizing and Daikoku meaning Divine Wind, thus being double antagonizing as we were 95% non-Japanese....thus a set up for the fight. we were not a war guild, so the insidious nature of what I intended there struck deep into the hearts of the proud. We had made good standing contact with every one of the largest Asian Guilds there... of which the "GO" were the largest. they welcomed us deeply there and that was my intent to do, fore how else was I to meet the PvP proud among them, that didn't want us there and with the rise of their Guild Master's restraint, those of PvP within them only grew greater within their animosity of us.
    The Ninja...
    It had been about 6 months before the expected attack came. The antagonized Japanese PvP had been exchanging many harsh words for about 2 months prior to the coming carnage. our guild had grown to around 260 stoned chrs (5 chr per account there), I truly don't know how many more as there was so many that our stone had become corrupted and didn't show any more guilded and many old names there were still guilded in chr, yet their names disappeared from the stone. I had had trouble encouraging the members to all agree to PvP in wars with other (now blood thirsty for us) guilds, yet I knew by all these signs, that it was Time for the Guild's metamorphosis. And so, I made a peace with some of the rabid for our blood Japanese players, enough so I could get them to drop their guild to come into ours.... and the entering Ninja, were then all set to piss off every other Guild Member, by killing all that they could before the stone would be emptied by it's original members. thus when the Ninja attack came, the fires of PvP were ignited within my members hearts and I ejected the (RUN) Daikoku Guild Stone into a tree so that none could reach it.... it was corrupted anyway and needed to be replaced with less members for it to safely hold.
    The Birth of "The Universal Melting Pot (UMP)"...
    I bought another Guild Stone and the beginner of from where this longest of journeys was first seeded thus named the new Guild, the Guild that would in future spread throughout the world known as the UMP... and the namer of it?... why... 'that was what name twinkled from "The Dirty Old Man's Lips".... and the rest is histories of other Greatest of Guild Masters who came from that first Stone...of "The Universal Melting Pot"... as I handed the stone's control to our choosen King Frederick who then went to war using another stone and passed the UMP's stone to it's Greatest of Caretakers Lord Garrion who continues it to this day, along with others who spread the guild far and wide, such as did "The Black Knight" to Europa and many many others to others to others... and Hamlet as was always in his ways, deleted and watched in amazement from a far, forever... thus says I....once Hamlet... yet ~Time Lord~:rolleyes: as are all of we here...
    I hope you all enjoyed the story, as I have never been a good fiction writer, yet in reality and for what is real and has happened...this was it...
    ~TL~o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.