Duke Island Castle

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sir Frank, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

2. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Balance is good. :)

Duke Gréagóir and Jatvardur like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Beautiful photo.
    That right there is a few small buildings on a city plot size island.
    If we had an island, and a way to place some of our smaller houses on it, that would be cool.
    I could have my massive duke castle covering all available space, or maybe just the knight's keep and a cabana out back, and some grass in between.

But the tech doesn't support that.
    I suspect doubling the plot size would be very easy.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

If it's not fair then upgrade, there are LotM's available still.

Let me turn this statement around you. Why should a Duke (5k) get double what a Baron (3.6k) gets? There's no need for a trickle down effect for all the tiers just because someone else got something that makes you envious.

Duke to Baron is what Knight to Citizen is.

Though perhaps they will introduce Duke2 with a bigger lot.

Everytime the argument "Duke should get x because LotM gets y" leaves me unconvinced.

This discussion should be in terms of what you are getting as an upgrade from Baron, not as a "it's not fair the tier above me gets this." They won't want to introduce rewards for any tier if it makes all the other ones distressed.

Couching an argument in terms of "I bet you could get more people to pledge by introducing feature x" to a tier would be a better approach. Perhaps it's - "I upgraded to Duke but didn't realize the cost of getting to a Portalarium Tour... could there be an option to substitute that for (insert suggestion here)"?

Lord Baldrith and Kal like this.
  5. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

This obviously isn't going to be agreed upon by players. I could reply to Andernut's post above but all of the points have been answered.

To draw a line under this:

Darkstarr just announced on the deep dive that they are still thinking on this, but it sounds like they are learning towards "no".

6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Just watching it now. There's a hole in his "economic" model.

The original pledge levels were:

Citizen - $500 - village
    Lord - $1500 - Town
    Baron - $3000 - City
    Duke - $5000 - City
    LOTM - $10,000 - City

So the top 3 have ALWAYS been off. As to LOTM, the lot was only part of the "more" they got. They also received a very rare copy of LBs original game. The value of that game itself is worth a heck of a lot of money, plus dinner with LB and a few others. So LOTMs got everything everyone else did plus a lot more already. Now they also get a lot that isn't double what dukes get but 4 times the size.

7. Sir Frank

There must be far more dukes than we realize.

Baron Violation, Siili and Jatvardur like this.
  8. Obsidian2

Obsidian2 Avatar

So, I assume you are a Duke who pledged 5,000.00 USD to the game.. Thank you!

Now, Lets check this out:
    LOTM: 10,000 USD (now 11,000 USD - 12,000 USD) *thanks for the correction tradyblix* :)
    Duke: 5,000 USD

What a LOTM gets over a Duke:
    For an additional 5,000.00 USD (the value of a second Duke account with all the benefits of previous tiers): Castle deed signed (physical), Castle lot (land/water) and not a City lot (land/water) (digital), LOTM crown (digital), Akalabeth, LOTM emote, LOTM title, dinner with LB (remember, LOTMs pay their trip, lodging and food expenses - it can get expensive quick, so, add that to the cost of the tier). So, my question to you is, are these items worth an extra 5,000.00 USD to you? My friend, if thats the case, please pledge LotM (but now you will need to pay 6,000 USD - 7,000 USD as they ran out of LOTM1).

But guess what? You can get two Duke accounts for the 10,000.00 USD ( same as a single LOTM1 account) and get a ton of rewards! Now you will have 2 city lots and all the perks from the previous tiers, TWICE! That's pretty sweet too if you think about it.

I believe LotMs are getting a fair trade considering they are paying an extra 5000.00 USD over Dukes for a few more things ( by far less than two (2) Duke accounts). I say, if the LOTM bonuses are worth it to you, go get them man! Else, be happy with what you get at Duke, which I believe is awesome for 5,000.00 USD!

A "Half-empty glass" life perception predetermines misery.

Thrive DeathKnell! Thrive and be positive! Lots of people would love to be Dukes and get what you will get... Consider yourself fortunate as others can only dream of getting Duke man... Look at it from the positive side..

CHEERS!

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I believe they are 12,000 now

Ghamiel likes this.
  10. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Ah, give it to them. The Dukes deserve a double city lot.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Getting the impression they might have sold more dukes than the original ks restrictions and not told us.

2x duke is nowhere near as good as 1x LOTM.

12. Obsidian2

Obsidian2 Avatar

And if they did, don't lawyer them bro... Lately everyone is finding a reason to be unhappy about things they should not be unhappy about. If you want the bigger lot, pledge LOTM.

You don't think so? Well, I think so!

But I guess it is a matter of perception...

Anyways, if it costs about 5000 to 7000 USD to get the lot you would like to get, just pay the money and get it. If lot size is so important to you, please pledge LOTM. Value of lot size is not linked to value of pledge.. It affects it but not to the degree you guys claim..

LOTMs pay a ton of money for very few items (and some features even cost them more money). Now, with that 7000 to 5000 USD difference, I believe they are getting a fair trade.. And the Duke pledge is just fine. Barons 1-3 get a city lot and the difference is 2000 to 1300 USD.. Just the perks the Dukes get over them is worth the coin spent (castle building among others). Now if the lot size is such a big deal, go get one! But it will cost you 6000 to 7000 USD, which is the value most of those guys had to pay (with the exceptions for those who went for it before LOTM1 ended, who might as well deserve the 1000 USD break for being the firsts ones doing it).

Or, as I said, get a 2nd Duke tier for an extra 5000. Totally worth it to me.

Again, be happy with what you guys got. You get a castle like building. Barons get a boat. Now, it is subject to each individual's perception on what is more appealing.. But to me, the castle like structure is SO MUCH BETTER! And you get it for 5000 USD. Guess what? IF Barons want that, they need to pay 2000 to 1300 USD! And If you want LOTM stuff, you need to pay 7000 to 5000 USD. HUGE JUMP !! But if the rewards are worth it to you and you find value in them, then, pay the difference like all of those who are at that level have!

Again, pledge value is not linked to a specific item in that pledge. Rather a combination of the items and the exclusivity they get.. That exclusivity is an illusion determined by the pledger. Thats why people are willing to pay so much or so little for things.. Something you might find extremely valuable, may be worth nothing to the next guy..

That's why I suggest that if the bigger lot would make you happier, you should pledge for the LOTM tier my friend.. Money doesn't always translate into happiness.. But it sure helps.. At least in the case it would.

CHEERS!

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Thanks for rewriting War and Peace. I wasn't intending to lawyer them but it would be my prerogative, not yours. Transparency is always appreciated. I'm not claiming this is the end of the world, nor making any threats whatsoever but I'd appreciate being kept in the loop on such a matter. I'm perfectly aware that I could be (say) duke number 11 and therefore benefited front this. My statement above was just that: a statement. just like Frank made a statement. There was no intent to turn that into a threat.

The island castle is currently a waterfront plot. Not placeable on land, afaik. Meaning a duke on land has to take the baron plot. And if the duke is international then less chance of visiting. At least with an international LOTM they have a huge castle on land.

You suggest that I upgrade, what if I can't? Not exactly great advice.

Given the choices of 3 or 4 Baron pledges, 1 LOTM, or 2 Dukes I think it is clear that the last choice represents the least value in terms of rewards. Lot size is an easy comparison, but not the only aspect. If they can come up with a reward in another way then that could be considered. Adding an inflatable dartboard is unlikely to be appreciated though.

I'm not against the LOTM upgrade, didn't think it was wholly necessary (Akalabeth and dinner with Richard are not exactly common prizes), but in light of it I think Dukes could be scaled up.

Also interesting that you created an account just to respond to this. If you are an alt, perhaps a dev alt, why not just come forward and discuss? Most of the the heat in the debate here is players disagreeing. The situation would be different if it was a discussion between a dev and the affected parties. We are aiming for a fair and amicable solution. If ultimately we lose then at least we'd want to be sure that all reasonable efforts were made to understand the situation. Too many posts here are adding zero value.

14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Akalabeth- do you have any idea how much this game is worth?
    And if I could afford it I would go LOTM. They get a heck of a lot more now then anyone else.

Let me ask y'all a question

Why do you think baron has sold out twice and is working on it's 3rd and duke hasn't sold out once?
    Does baron get some awesome reward duke doesn't? NOPE
    Plain and simple why would you pay $5000 for a city lot when you can get it for seriously a lot less? It's a simple business point Portalarium seems to have completely missed.

So, you're probably wondering why I was foolish enough to spend $5000. There are 3 reasons, dukes island castle, custom avatar and visiting portalarium. Then reality set in...
    The dukes island castle - all castle no island. I wasn't looking for just another huge structure. I was looking for a nice castle with some land around it to decorate and farm. Not some monstrosity that leaves me no room for anything else on my lot.
    Custom avatar - this was actually my fault as I saw "custom avatar" and got excited. It wasn't till much later a friend of mine "gibbs slapped me" and pointed out it was "custom avatar head". Why the heck would I want my ugly mug in the game?
    Lastly the visit to austin - sounded great till I figured out it would cost me an additional $600US. And I live in Kansas City which is not so far away, not driving distance but not that far.

And yes, I paid $3000 for baron and then upped it to $5000 for duke. Thats not double but when you add in the extra $600 for me to execute all my rewards that's darn close to it. And that's not taking into consideration the other dukes who have to travel farther then I do and therefore will cost them even more money.

And here's some simple math for the argument. Darkstarr spoke of the doubling effect. So duke to LOTM costs double, and now a little more and they get 4 lots. Let's see 4 divided by 2 = 2.

15. Obsidian2

Obsidian2 Avatar

I get your point and at the same time I am voicing my opinion on the matter, just like you and others are.

This account was given to me by my brother, who is a ks backer. I just started posting in threads of interest. Sorry but you are incorrect, I am not a developer.

I have voiced my opinion on the matter and Portalarium will make a decision. I just think that all this noise is unnecessary. Be happy with what you got and enjoy the game. If they make the tier more appealing, I would be happy for you but if they don't, don't be upset and thrive on what you have. Just my opinion :)

Keep your opinions coming.

CHEERS!

16. Sir Frank

The bright side of this reward is that you don't have to make it look like you.
    You get to work with a dev to make something you like.

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's what I'm thinking... or a lot of people commenting on things that don't involve them... one or the other, not sure.

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. Kal

Kal Avatar

argument falls apart when you use prices that no longer exist. the current cost of baron is 3600, which is only 1400 difference from duke. 5000 is not double, 7200 would be double.

changing lot size for dukes would change the perceived value of all the 3 original lot sizes. currently they still maintain their perceived value since LotM lot size is in a class all its own as the top pledge.

rather than being upset LotM get their castle lot size you should see it as incentive to become a LotM.

also, i get the feeling there are a lot of dukes, they probably lifted the limit for it. in fact i think baron3, duke and LotM2 have no limits.

Lord Baldrith and Gham like this.
  19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

kal - when they speak of maintaining the value of the account, the value of the account is what you paid for it. Not what someone buying it right now paid for it. My account is worth 5000. The only way you could validly use baron 3 as a comparator is if you were comparing it to duke 3. Then you are comparing apples to apples.

And if you want to give me another 6000 just go right ahead. I don't have that kind of money right now

Jatvardur and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  20. Obsidian2

Obsidian2 Avatar

They get 1 lot.. Only one house can be placed in it.. It is just more land.

I also understand your point... I would be happy for you if you get more stuff but if not, I hope you are happy with what you get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.