(Boss) respawning problem

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its going to be more like someone hanging around the tavern in town asking people "hey anyone need help defeating the Black Knight? i'll help you if we can split the loot"

2. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

What's wrong with that? Anybody who wants a new friend gets one, the guy who desperately wants to re-fight the Black Knight gets to. It's 100% consensual on both sides. Except the Black Knight, of course, but he doesn't get a vote.

enderandrew likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its consensual, but its not entirely different than camping, which is what the thread is about.

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

No, it's completely different than camping. The problem with camping is being told that now you must go kill X, the final whateverthehellyou'rekilling in the sequence, and arriving to find a crowd of people standing around it's spawn point in a circle, racing each other to get the tag and kill. And they never leave.

If the mobs are spawning inside instanced zones, and the only way to get a second shot at it is by invitation, and that invite puts the invited player into an INSTANCED zone... then you, when given your quest, will probably never even notice any campers. Your experience will be unbroken questing and killing and looting and /dance-ing. Maybe even /drink-ing, if your character is of legal Britannian drinking age.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's one issue with camping, but not the issue the OP brought up, which is farming something over and over.

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

My question would be :

Will there be a *reason* to farm a boss character in this game ?​

Since the current thinking is that equipable loot will be drawn from the crafting space, one might not actually receive anything *uber* from the boss itself, that could not be gotten some other way.

Perhaps a trinket to mount on the wall to say "I did that!" ? Coolio, everyone should have a chance to get that.

If the sole purpose of killing the boss is to progress the story or complete some side-quest, then camping the character over and over becomes unnecessary.

----

It is only if that boss drops from rare goodie that farming comes into play. Personally, I'm hoping that will be of less concern in this game. :)

7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, yes and no.

To respond more pointedly to the OP, as exposition:

If the problem is having to stand in line to kill it, instanced zones fixes the problem, you get your very own copy, no line.

If the problem is a break in immersion when you arrive to kill the mob and find dozens or hundreds of other players doing the same thing (even though the quest had you as the only one even paying attention to this problem...) Then again, instanced zones fixes this problem, you will face the challenges only with yourself and whoever you brought with you.

If the problem is finding an NPC Boss alive and well when you clearly remember murdering it's face yesterday with your homies, instanced zones will fix this, the devs just put a silent flag on each person who kills each boss, and when they lead a group into a zone, anything they previously killed there remains dead and gone. It's doors unlocked, it's walls smashed, it's traps sprung.

IF the problem with Boss respawns is that other people are getting multiple kills in because they want to, and the above fixes aren't helping, tough cookies. Each player has the right to a fun game. If they enjoy fighting the monster over and over and the devs decided to let them, then unless it DIRECTLY impacts you, you have no room to complain. There are people who pay their rent, their car payments, their cell phone bills, and their entertainment budgets out of money they collect by standing on lane dividers holding signs that say "Homeless and starving, please help." There have been news reports that followed these people back to their Lexus, tracked them back to their Condos, and noted them turning on Pay Per View after a long day of standing around being handed money. Is what they are doing illegal? Actually kinda no. They may once have been homeless, you can't prove otherwise. It's a major hassle to prove they cannot work, and even then there is no law against not working. At least, not where I live. Do they piss me off? Yes, but actually I have no room to complain, because they are not directly impacting me. A complex argument can be proposed that they are creating a cumulative drag on the economy, but that isn't really something I can take them to court for. "Your honor, this guy is causing a subtle economic depression in my city that has resulted in a net loss to me of three point five cents over the last two years!"

So if the Boss respawn problem is about your personal experience, and how campers screw it up, instanced zones is the miracle cure. If your problem with campers is that you feel they are immoral and shouldn't be allowed... that's not up to us, it's up to Portalarium, and there will be MASSIVE numbers of players who want to be able to play a certain level of the video game over again without having to delete their account and start over. I'm guessing Portalarium will let them do this thing, for the most part.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

People don't fight bosses over and over for fun, they do it for easy loot. Otherwise, its another type of grinding.

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Actually, some people do. Sometimes, believe it or not, the game devs succeed in making a boss encounter that is actually FUN in and of itself, and people get nostalgic about it. Not just a giant square dance with the raid leader calling "Left side! Right side! In the circle! Get out of the brown poop!"

I have been in some fights that I enjoyed returning to, showing my friends the fight. I have had repeating boss fights where I figured out or learned a cool trick, and I delighted in showing off what I knew.

It does happen.

10. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

Adding in my 2 cents:

Boss respawning could be in the game, but have is similar to how it's planned in Star Citizen. Kill the Dread Pirate Roberts, his next in command will take over, Less Dreadful Pirate Bob, will become the boss.

Or handle through instancing, but allow you to join in on a friend's kill to help them out if they need, but lock you out of loot other than generic drops.

I think there should be some level of respawning, especially in public dungeons, to promote replay-ablity and lengthen the enjoyment of the game for dungeon crawlers.

11. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

Considering that there will be a mechanic for us to respawn, why wouldn't bosses follow this same program? We respawn because we are avatars. Couldn't bosses likely be avatars, as well? There is nothing to say that avatars can't go bad.

I mean, you don't hear the boss complaining that these heroes keep popping up to kill him over and over again, do you?

"I've killed Kevinatordewd over 20 times now. He just keeps invading my lair! What am I to do???"

12. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

It was discussed in one of last weeks deep dive, RG mentioned something about a "Tabula Rasa" type situation whereby once a building was destroyed in an instance it would remain so to that person. However if someone further back in progress was to go into that instance with the player who'd done it, it would start from their current place in progression. To me that is logical and surely simple solutions would be reward by quest (bounty, item or such) which would eliminate farming an instance of something that should as folks are leaning towards be dead, only incentive to those who have done it would be to help friends, family etc!

I beg to differ on this statement as for some their playstyle is not to follow or mimic something close to life but simply to play for the fun of it, perhaps timed against friends runs, solo'ing see how far they can get etc there are many reasons people do not solely for loot.

It's my opinion that there are multiple play styles being catered for to the best of the ability by the dev's and the communties views. I myself am impartial to whichever way is implemeted as to approach it with only your own in mind is not going to help find common ground.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I would be ok with that. My concern primarily was that if I get a quest in which I have to rescue a princess and kill the dragon I want the dragon to stay dead forever.
    I do not want to enter the dungeon again to see that the dragon is back and the princess has been abducted again - and this over and over again. This would destroy the whole purpose of doing the quest in the first place, imo.

14. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

This could be handled, even helping a friend, by phasing the completed content out when you are the instance owner, but if your friend goes in first, or is promoted to instance owner, you'd see what they see. This would eliminate farming of named boss mobs, but still allow for people to help out newer friends.

15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't mind someone getting to repeat a quest by joining up with and helping someone else who hasn't done the quest. No one is forced to repeat something they don't want, and the gains in community building are worth it.

NRaas and MalakBrightpalm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.