What's the #1 thing you'd tell a new player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

As some of the stats mentioned today on the 12hr broadcast revealed, we've had some very, very big pledge days of late.

Of course, some of these pledges have been upgrades from existing members, but there's been new people entering the frame, too.

So... what's the #1 thing you'd tell a new player? It could be anything. Big, small, useful, weird, whatever. Let me start with:

#1 One account; one character. Yes folks, you are playing "you". It's not a game where you think, "Oh, I'll be my evil character today..." or "Hey, I want to play my bow and arrow character rather than my heavily armoured knight..." No, folks, you are you -- and there's only one of you. Choose wisely (or buy a second account ;))

(Keep your suggestions numbered and let's see if we can make a top 50 or top 100...)

2. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

#2 You'll essentially live in the world as much as you interact with it. You won't just progress through a story triggering scripted events. You'll change your pace dynamically in response to the way the world and players react or are influenced by you. You'll possibly even change your goals. Where other games are analogous to picking up a paperback novel and continuing your story, SoTA will be analogous to picking up the Newspaper and seeing how the world has changed with or without you. If you've played or know of Ultima 7: The Black Gate, Ultima Online or The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, you'll understand.

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

New Britannia is complicated. It's a roleplaying game, with lots of stuff to learn and an interface that you need to get used to.

One of the most important pieces of advice I could give is READ THE _________ MANUAL!!!!!

I understand what's happening right now - lots of new folk dropping in, and in the release today they probably didn't even know that there were "release notes". So no criticism; it's just fascinating to see folk arrive and ask the same question - "where do I get a sword?" "how do I get armour?" "how do I craft?". @Fireangel was being a great citizen and answering questions (and getting RSI:D) so we get by.

By the time the game is ready for full release we could reasonably expect a fully functional Player Handbook, with everything in it. In the meantime there are the Release Notes, which contain the essentials to get us through this bit.

So yes, I would encourage people to read up as much as they can, before they frustrate themselves by not knowing anything, and asking the same question for the thousandth time;).

4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'd tell myself, sup, and myself would say in a gollum style conversation, everyone is new dawg, everyone.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Don't forget the Cloth Map, and the "gadget" whatever it's going to be this time. Ankh ? Orb of the Moons ? Fellowship Medallion ?

That's going to be how I remember SoTA.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'd tell them ummm....

*Time Lord*; "Good Sir Knight, we all have been awaiting for you to come. I brought you to this world to save it as it will save you. Now dawn your armaments and weapons of destruction, for you will dearly need then for the coming tasks ahead...

*New Player*; WoW, that's heavy dawg, sup? how do I play this game?

*Time Lord*; After reading the section of the manual on the game's interface commands, promptly gather your bravest heat's yearnings, then throw the book away and face your most foul, dastardly and evil foe, "The Dread Lord Asclepius", because he's the only one of us educated enough to have read the book and understand it all..... then return and tell me what he says"o_O

*New Player*; "I'll go swag my 9 on him, then punk slap dat' prep till he squeals, thanks Time Lord!"
    *New Player*; "W' Sup Asclepius" @#$%^^%#@$%"><"$%$@!:mad:
    *Time Lord*; "So what did Asclepius enlighten you with?
    *New Player*; OooooOOOoooOOooo :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. selbie

selbie Avatar

"I wish to harvest your organs....I'm an avid organ player!"

8. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

#7 (we lost count )

This is not a mindless point and click game. It will require the use of a few brain cells and patience.

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Good ideas, all. Keep 'em coming. Thanks to Ronan for getting us back to numbering.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I dont know why, first thing that my bad brain said to me about this is "give me money".

docdoom77, BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Don't look at the overland map.

12. Margard

Margard Avatar

#8 Quest will not be identifiable by a big ass mark over an NPC's head ... you'll actually have to have a conversation with NPC's and determine what IS a guest and if YOU actually care enough to look into it

#9 You may need a pen and paper to take notes

13. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

I'd say : "lol, noob"

14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Well, technically there is no 'playing' yet or for a while to come. We are glorified testers and feedback givers until further notice.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Well in that case... :)

#10 - Do not expect anything resembling 'a game' at this stage. But do expect a friendly and helpful community to explore a charming landscape with!

docdoom77, Time Lord and Asclepius like this.
  16. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

#11 Now you are here it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to play... walks away muttering "perhaps a finger or two"

17. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

#12 - This is quite possibly the best community on the internet. Dive in! Find something that interests you and get active with it! I haven't found any group that isn't delighted to welcome new people who want to get involved. (In fact, quite the opposite... I want to be active in far more groups/activities than I have time for! *laughs* )

18. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Trust No One.

19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Play the releases and decide if you like it for yourself. Don't give the forums too much weight in your decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillRoy, Phredicon and Time Lord like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

#X It's not UO Reborn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.