Breakable Crates & Barrels [Poll] [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Apr 7, 2014.

?

What would YOU like to see in SOTA's future?

1. Breakable Crates & Barrels (Simplistic Diablo Style)

0.8%
  2. Every Container Usable/Openable (Detailed Ultima Style)

99.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I want to be able to eat the bread or apples in the smashed crate!!

2. Curt

Curt Avatar

So more breakable barrels loaded with explosive gunpowder.

3. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Wow, I'm surprised how unanimous the poll is so far. Container style FTW.

Derium and Razimus like this.
  4. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Come on you know there going to say , "Its Pre-alpha ,we have a poor budget, and the team is small ". rather then give us realism ,or true immersion. If it were, Guards would come running when what sounds a bomb goes off when your busting things and stealing items. To say nothing about it should be a thief skill. Lets not forget you will need a wheel barrel to carry two giant loafs of bread.
    Sorry to say, I feel its more of , rush give them something substandard and say we will fix it later, rather then do it right the first time. And by the way it cost way more to do something poorly, and spend the time adding features -skills recodeing it.

5. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Open crates/barrels, not break them. Mainly, because the opening interactivity will be needed for people who prefer to use barrels or crates for home deco and storage purposes. Secondly, it's MUCH more Ultima-esque to have them NOT break.

As for the sound effect, it still sounds like wood breaking upon being hit, however the volume is WAY TOO HIGH which makes it sound more explosive than necessary.

Razimus likes this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm not one to put much stock in forum polls, but this one is (at least a little) telling. I've never seen such a landslide position before.

Razimus and tradyblix like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I feel bad for the other side.

Derium likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Is there really an "other side" ? If there was an "other side", the poll would not be quite so lopsided.

Though I guess perhaps the "Diablo Style" demographic could simply be waiting on the sidelines to see whether the game shapes up, before swooping onto the forums and making their presence known.

Right... :)

tradyblix likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

The funny thing about Ultima VIII is you could have multiple bombs explode in the barrel and still not have the barrel blown up :) Bombs would destroy tables, though...

tradyblix likes this.
  10. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Emphasis on the traditional although I don't think they should rule out a storyline (or dungeon) situation where you need to break out the axe/mace, or even use your weapon to flip something open or stir the contents (e.g. Gorn-quest).

Ceal Astra and Razimus like this.
  11. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

I'm on the side of both. I want all containers to be openable but I also want containers to be smashable in the event they are locked (at the cost of damaging/destroying the contents and the weapon used to break it open, ala ultima underworld).

docdoom77, Hazard, Ceal Astra and 5 others like this.
  12. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Perfectly fair, I'm fine with that.

Another "advantage" of the current system is you can tell if someone else got there first.
    Still going to have to stand by my vote though.

Razimus likes this.
  13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread including the breakable locked containers. I too was a bit perplexed why every barrel in town looked as though Viking raiders had swept through the city.

Word on the street, er.. Word on the Tesla Tower... 100% openable lol... locked goes w/out saying but maybe it doesn't, Keys we need Keys! Pick Locks! Crowbars? Why not! & weapons that are barrel break worthy! (if we can't open it).

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

1 vote against, I suspect a troll vote, if it's not a troll vote I'd like to hear from the voter's point of view.

I will have to make a video in the future, the video will show the following....

I will enter 10 NPC houses in Ultima VII

I will then enter 10 NPC houses in SOTA

Single Player Final Release (1992) Vs. Pre-Alpha Multiplayer (2014) will have many gaps and differences but to be fair I will always compare SOTA to the standard that is Ultima 7; the ability to interact and manipulate items, this is a high standard I understand but I know it is more than probable and possible to accomplish.

Which 10 NPC houses will be more interesting? Which 10 NPC houses will have more interactive items? Which 10 NPC houses will have usable containers? Which 10 NPC houses will leave a lasting impression with the player? Which 10 NPC houses will be interesting enough to mention to a friend to get them interested in playing the game?

I just want to push for this one little thing, if I had to pick 1 single little thing it would be this one, but here are 2 others on my list;

1. [All containers can be opened]
    2. [If it's magic it should glow]
    3. [Every NPC has a personality and schedule]

I know if I didn't push for these little things I'd be disappointed in myself personally for not submitting the feedback from a true lifelong Ultima fan. These details need not exist merely in the universe of an Ultima fan, Every NPC having a personality & schedule? I've seen this mechanic clearly used in the Elder Scrolls games. All containers can be opened? This level of detail is proof of a game dedicated to entertain the ultimate explorer. If it's magic it should glow, it's a little thing that makes any game fun, I've seen this from Silk Road Online to Asheron's Call, it isn't exclusively Ultima but it adds depth to any game.

selbie likes this.
  15. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I pray to virtue we can open crates and barrels soon instead of smashing them.

Myrthnos and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  16. Myrthnos

Myrthnos Avatar

I agree

17. Curt

Curt Avatar

IF a Karma system is made, let it affect how you treat crates and barrels.
    Each time you try to open a crate/barrel do a karma check that decides if you open it careful or smashing it impatient.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

When will this senseless slaughter of barrels end?

Derium, docdoom77 and Trenyc like this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

No! Thay are full of bread! :p

20. Lord Blackheart

Lord Blackheart Avatar

Not sure if this has been posted, but if we can open barrels/boxes to take stuff out, that means we can open to put stuff in. This could allow for various in game actions/RP'ing

Besides, in a persistent world, the boxes/barrels would never go away, or would just magically get fixed. For the "good" barrels this would mean camping by the barrel waiting for the spawn timer to reset. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.