Match Making mega-thread (Request)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ristra, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

When I am going to do something dangerous and clandestine, I want to know who knows where I am and if I run the risk of encountering them on my excursion. I would send a spy. (Especially if I have full loot turned on, I don't want to get caught with what I might consider contraband which might alert the others of my nefarious plans.)

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

But how would you control the instance of the hex you are in? Just because the PvE spy goes there does not mean the next person to go in that hex is going to get the same instance.

Besides what is stopping you from doing that stuff in SPO/FPO?

Just brain storming here, going with the flow.

Time Lord and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I was mostly thinking about roleplaying/PvP. I am going to always be flagged unless the game takes me out of it to complete a story point or I can't convince the leader of my adventuring party to flag. That is just how I am going to play and I am really curious about what my experience will be like with the matchmaker.
    I don't think I really will be able to control which instance I go to without the FPO stuff but from an openPVP standpoint, I at least should send someone to check if the errand is important. If I were specifically trying to avoid someone, I might have to do some research and find a spy who is at least on that person's friends list and would have a higher chance of seeing my adversary and I'd have to take as many precautions as I could to try to get through there undetected or wait until the spy can tell me they are gone.
    It sounds complicated but if you're going to be a competent nemesis to a bold and famous hero, you have to put in a little elbow grease (or maybe it's all moot and the matching system will be too predictable to need all of that.)

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

If there are not enough players in that hex to create multiple instances then both players will be in the same instance by default.

Even if there are multiple instances, if the PvE "spotter" is from the same guild, or mutual friend for the player he is spotting for (or both), chances are good that they will end in the same instance anyway. And that is assuming there is no way to intentionally force players into the same instance (apart from joining in a party, which changes the PvP flag).

Nothing. Unless the player is after the incentives the devs plan to offer for being flagged for PvP — including the payout of the PvP missions that are, for the most part, confirmed — this could become a common behavior for players that have friends willing to help them, or else just have two accounts.

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The only inventive announced so far is the rare resource and rare creature abundance in PvP hexes. Those are PvP only.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

And well paying missions that are not necessarily only in PvP hexes.

It could also create issues for players or guilds attempting to PvP anywhere apart from the few PvP-only hexes.

There's also the fact that keeping those players apart would allow the illusion, for PvP players, that the game for them is an open PvP game; with that they would be able to attack (and be attacked by) anyone they can see. From quite a few posts and discussions, seems like creating that illusion is important for a not insignificant number of PvP players.

As long as switching between PvP and PvE is easy (within reason, to curb out exploits), and there are tools to allow players to assemble groups even from different instances, I see little to no advantage in allowing PvP and PvE players to mingle in the same instance (apart from PvP-only and PvE-only hexes), and a fair number of potential disadvantages.

Time Lord and Talmanes like this.
  7. Tiggis

Tiggis Avatar

So as a level 1 I can run around and spy for my pvp guild against the enemy with impunity.
    Nice!

Limitations on pvp invite more griefing than no limitations on pvp... Always.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The PvP quests, such as the contraband smuggling, will have methods of alerting other players that you are smuggling. No idea on the details but it seems like it could be pretty contained. But if there is a hard segregation of the PvE and PvP then what's the point in a mission like this?

The thing with the hex instancing is it's not going to be like other games, SotA has a meta server. So there will be the full population available to fill the instances. If there are only 100,000 players how many are PvP? Using a conservative number, 10%, 10,000 PvPerss with only 64 per hex that's ~156 instances filled. Go with a more aggressive set of numbers 1,000,000 players 50% PvP with 64 per hex that's ~7800 instances filled. Odds are, it's a non issue.

There is a caveat though. The friends/family list. A PvPer and a PvEer are on their friends lists, they are not partied, will they have to have the same flag to see each other.

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  9. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

One advantage I can see is in roleplaying. I doubt I'll flag for PvP myself, but I'm quite happy to RP with people who are. If they're always sorted into a different instance, how will I ever meet them? If I have other roleplayers on my friends list then presumably I could form a party if necessary to get everyone into the same instance, but what about those random roleplayers you haven't yet met, or who may have just joined the game and not be known to many people? A lot of the fun of RP comes from bumping into new people (although of course chatting with those you already know is great too!) so we need ways for all sorts to mingle. For new players looking for RP it might become difficult for them to find others unless they get lucky, leading to an impression that there's not much RP going on at all.

Obviously disadvantages have to be minimised, and I can understand the desire of some PvPers not to have to see people they can't attack, but if towns are the only places roleplayers have the chance to run into each other then it might get a little dull. :)

Time Lord, Margard and Noctiflora like this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You make it sound so simple.

Level is part of the Match Making so if your guild is all level 1 then maybe that's possible BUT what would you be spying?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Which actually makes a PvE "spotter" even more useful, due to the increased chance of meeting other PvP players.

The point being that the player is temporarily PvP for the duration of the mission? Wasn't this the whole reason for such missions to exist in the first place?

Which I see as another reason to keep PvP and PvE players in separate instances, as it won't be an issue either way.

IMHO, yes, they should have.

Caveat: it has already been said that party members share the flag of the party leader, which means that even if PvP and PvE players are kept in different instances, such players have an easy way to play together by just getting into the same party, regardless of their usual PvP flag.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

They could be making sure that Timelord won't be getting wind of my latest plan to go into hex27389 and harvest eyes from green eyed characters. I'd pay level one players to scout that for me.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Hex27389 instance7196

Time Lord likes this.
  14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah, that almost sounds too easy. How much control do you think we'll have? Can we just keep bouncing instances? That might be nice for harvesting and the like but I think that would really make it too easy.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

Maybe you should run your game client behind a proxy of some kind. Then they would know it's you but just not know where the real you is. You gets me? nevermind it probably doesn't solve your problem here.

Caska DiFumarate and Time Lord like this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

wat? Book ? Where? Show me. also how long until its done?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Golden

Time Lord likes this.
  18. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Blade of the Avatar. We only have 3 more chapters left before the whole thing will be done. If you have weekly updates turned on, there should be map pieces and chapters in your inbox. I've been trying very hard not to read them yet.

TemplarAssassin and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's funny Caska DiFumarate,
    I've been trying my best to avoid those as well. :D I've been putting them off because I don't want to read them until just before game launch so I can have that fresh New Britannia flavor as if it's a new world, and not this huge Pandora's Box of assumptive ideas stuck in my head... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

20. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

I've always wanted books in game that would describe locations that would be near impossible to find without the book, you'd have to have the book with you at the location to progress, if you die along the way it drops and is auto picked up my monsters esc esc esc I could see people chasing stories of treasure with some being true and some being fiction. Exciting

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.