An extremely unpopular reality

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Pre-buying isn't a problem because they'll be basing the number of lots at release on the number of pre-sales. The problem will be what happens when there aren't any lots available post release, unless somehow the developers plan for it to take more than a year for the vast majority of players to earn enough gold to buy a lot.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

I would think that all lots being sold will be a temporary thing that will force the devs hand into expansion. It is supposed to be a growing world... make sense new towns would a part of that plan.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It will grow with future episodes. But a year is a long time for a game in its infancy. If it becomes a problem, they'll have to fix it fast, and I don't expect they can with their current game plan.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

...so they can flood the market with a ton of wood and iron?
    Or so they can get their Carpentry and Smithing skills to 100% lvl without ever having to mine or chop wood?
    This is called pay2win, you realize that, right?
    If it's implemented you are gonna be the guy who soon floods the market with top tier weapons and armour while the others struggle to mine enough ore to get their skills high enough.

...not sure any of this will matter tho as the game will not feature open PvP and looting...

Papa Woody, Time Lord and herradam like this.
  5. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

Because of their model, they are not limited to Episodes only as release.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

Having "Shards" or "Servers" similar to other games would resolve this instead of having 1 world. While I like the idea they have for the single world when it comes to housing it seems like an issue. From the looks of the sales that I've heard about it would appear that each city is going to need about 200+ housing plots right from the start just to cover pre-sales. That makes for some very large NPC cities...

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

What numbers are you getting that from?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Not all housing needs to be placed in, or is planned to be restricted to, villages, towns, or cities. They can turn existing hexes into places where housing can be placed, or they could change the overworld so that new hexes are added to the world and make them housing hexes. I can't see that if they want to modify the number of lots to meet demand, there is going to be problem. There are a lot of hexes in the world. And I'm sure they can make existing hexes bigger to meet lot demand as well.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's not as easy as it sounds. They have to place the lots at the very least, and then they'd need to create a mechanism for players who live in the middle of nowhere to find the hexes where their houses are.

Maybe they will find a way to beat the problem. I do hope so. Still, I find it to be a better approach to expect the worst and risk being pleasantly surprised than to expect the best and be disappointed--especially where MMOs and their player bases are concerned. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Mmm, I jsut gor that the name of this thread looks like a documentary of Al Gore. :D

11. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

701 from the original kickstart, ~2x for what was sold on the site so maybe at least ~1400.

But I forgotten about the smaller housing areas outside of the main cities when I made my previous comment so it might end up working out well for everyone.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Also it might happen, that in future episodes more than one house could fit on a lot (so a Lord of the Manor could have his own small village in his walls, the city lot owner some of the smaller village hovels placed at the same time etc.), or that you get your water lot property with the abilities as the most of us understood it first.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

14. Duke Olahorand

Another option for these spare houses I could imagine would be, that you can place them as mini house (like the Ultima Online mini house deeds) as deco arrangement if you are using them in your existing house/lot and double click the deed.
    This would not only make them more a keeper for current owners, but also may make someone proud to display his mini village in a corner of your garden or on the roof deck - if this is possible with all house deeds, they may even become more a collectible.

Kether, Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  15. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

On the Kickstarter page the rewards state that at Knight level you only receive ONE house deed ( the knight House ) all higher tiers say you receive 1 house deed and everything previously stated up to developer level rewards.
    Developer level does not have an House deed so if the rules have not been changed you all only have ONE house deed from rewards unless you have paid for 1 from the add on shop.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Duke Olahorand

In the pledge description on the SotA site you find following note for the knight pledge:
    Includes All Rewards From:
    Adventurer, Immortal Adventurer, Founder, Royal Artisan, Virtual Collector, Explorer, Collector, Patron, Ancestor, Navigator, Developer, Citizen, and Edelmann.
    And in the header of the Knight pledge (only under the Benefactor knight header!?): (Property deeds and duplicated rewards limited to 1 per pledge)
    Maybe you did mix up property deeds and house deeds?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

From what I understood at the opening of the Kickstarter was that you would have one property deed and access to only the type of home your level made for you. For example, a Knight would have access to one village property and the Knight's house. The knight didn't get access to the citizen's home. The graphic on the Kickstarter page that lists the rewards clearly says (except 1 House Deed). Whether that means property or the actual house is up to interpretation, I guess, but I was pretty sure it meant house.

It is quite possible that the house and property deed will be one item that allows you to plop down a house on a property, but choose which kind of house you want. For example, a knight would get a free property and choose 1 house from the knight level or below. You could access the citizen home, but you wouldn't have an extra to give away. I think this is the most likely option. You get a property deed that let's you build a rent-free home and your pledge level lets you determine the highest level of house you can get. You can choose to go lower, but why would you want to do that?

If you are a Lord, then, you wouldn't have extra homes for sale(unless you purchased deeds from the add-on store). If you sold your Lord house deed, it would be lost for all time. This, I think, would make them extremely valuable, especially a couple of years down the road.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. It's early, and I haven't had enough Diet Coke.

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  19. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Like many backers, I will have several houses when the game launches. I personally don't buy, trade, sell, or auction much. I'm more of a role-player within the communities. I'd like to have the flexibility to:
    1. Initially place a small village house on my lot. Then decorate it and the outdoor area. I'd use it for a while (as our role-playing interactive story-line gets going). Then, as I "become more wealthy" or the "community grows around me", then I can place a different house and decorate it. So using my many houses can be a flexible way to interact via role-playing and community building. Same goes with basements (have an arena one week for competitions, and have a multi-level basement for "apartments" for friends most of the time).
    2. Swap out my houses based on season or event. Maybe host a big banquet one day. Another day I need a tower to "defend". BUT, I don't want to redecorate the house every time I swap it out. Like others said, I'd like to have house decorations stay intact when I place that house again.
    3. Lend one of my houses to a friend. (not my lot of course, just a house) Say they have a village lot, for example. But they can't afford a big house for it. As part of our community, I could lend them one of my large village houses that I am not using. They can place it on their village lot, decorate it, use it ... but they can't sell it or trade it to others. The house stays bound to my account. If I choose to take my house back, all their decorations go into their inventory, I get the house back, and they still have their village lot deed connected to them, but now without a house on it. They can similarly give my house back to me anytime and they still keep their village lot connected to them.

20. Ahroo

Ahroo Avatar

I'd have to re-pledge like near $1000 to get a village home and town home for "shop". Decisions. I really like the Tax free property deeds.

So by reading this thread people have supported and bid thousands and have multiple pledges and Town/higher houses/deeds. Insane!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.