Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R6 totally unplayable on laptop w/integrated graphics

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by MadViking, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

The previous builds I played, played reasonably well on my laptop with Intel integrated graphics as long as the lowest settings were used - a little slow and laggy, but acceptable. R6, however, is totally unplayable, I get the new interface (which is nice, BTW), and can interact with that, but there is just a white background, with a black and a blue square in the bottom left corner

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@MadViking
    Can you post your laptop's specs? It might be helpful for other users and the dev team to know what level of hardware is not able to play the game.

Thanks! :)

3. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Also, just checking, did you patch up to release 25? 24 was unplayable on my 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 Ghz i7, Intel 4000 series integrated graphics, 8 gig ram, but 25 (while still not great) was vastly better. (There seems to be a lot of variance among the experience of Mac users; it sounds like fixing things on the Mac side will involve Portalarium chasing down a lot of driver issues).

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have a laptop with a 2.3 Ghz (turbo boost to 2.9 Ghz) i5 , AMD Radeon 6470M (definitely lowend) ,4 Gig of RAM and Windows 7 64bit. With a resolution of 1024x720 I can run Release 6 at Beautiful setting on single player online mode - but there is choppiness. The Intel HD 3000/4000 GPU's at standard settings aren't going to cut it since they have fraction of the power of what I have - and what I have is at the bottom rung of dedicated graphic cards.

There is this video of a guy who overclocked his HD 4000 but be very careful. Laptops don't have the best of cooling, so watch your temps. Will try it using my HD3000 later to see if overclocking does any good with R6.

There is a relationship between the GPU clock & the memory clock that you have to get right. I"m overclocking my 6470M using Sapphire Trixx (only for AMD Radeon cards) and initially R6 was blanking out after a few minutes using my old settings (which I thought stable). R6 is now running smoothly at the settings above but I suspect I"ll have to downgrade to Good settings once I try multiplayer.

AnandTech article on overclocking the HD 3000 - the max performance with overclocking you can get is 30%.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/13

Time Lord likes this.
  5. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

eMachines G525
    T3300 dual-core Celeron @ 2 GHz
    4 gb RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

Time Lord likes this.
  6. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Well, it did cut it in the previous releases, with graphics setting on FASTEST and everything else in the graphics settings (antialiasing etc) turned off... Sloppy and laggy, yes, but it did work

Time Lord likes this.
  7. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Uuuh, it patches itself before it lets you load the game...

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  9. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Aaaack, yeah... I had a brain fart. You are correct. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

If this laptop was bought in 2010 or earlier then the GPU would be a GMA 4500M which is older & slower than the Intel HD 3000. R6 was the first major jump in graphics quality so I"m not surprised your GPU was no longer able to render the game properly at this point. It's just not built for anything but much older games & 3D games that don't demand much from the graphics processor.

Update : I was able to play the game in single player online mode at 1024x768 , no shadows, no anti-aliasing, no obscurance with just the HD3000 iGPU. The framerate wasn't great but it was playable. It looks like this is now the minimum to run the game acceptably.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

MadViking,

Yep I feel ya', My entirely cheap MSI CR650 crapped out 2 releases ago and I've been waiting to see what issues others have before buying a new computer, because I want it to be the last computer I ever need to play this game, as well as the other new games like SC which I'm certain will be much more computer hardware challenging than SotA. Was that another incoherent run on sentence I just made everyone read again? Dang :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

With the currect patch (102 in Windows) is much better now for me that before.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Worked decently on lowish settings on my old laptop: Core i7-720QM, 4 GM RAM and HD Mobility 5850 (underclocked to 480 Mhz to prevent overheating).

Time Lord likes this.
  15. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

I am fairly certain it was purchased sometime in late 2010 (I got it from a close relative in early 2011, and it was fairly new back then). Graphics are listed within Windows as "Intel 4 series"...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.