[Poll] Dropping items anywhere: Throwing stones in a living world. [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Astrobia, Feb 10, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the ability to drop/place items anywhere? (read thread for more details)

1. Very Pro: The role play & interactive world benefits outweigh any negatives, addressed or otherwise.

40.9%
  2. Pro: It is important enough that time must be made to address the negatives so it can be included.

30.7%
  3. Reserved: Only include it if the negatives are addressed soundly & with minimal development time.

18.8%
  4. Against: Not worth the potential negatives it introduces or the development time to address them.

5.7%
  5. Very Against: I don't want free item placement at all, the positives and negatives are irrelevant.

1.1%
  6. Indifferent: Don't care either way or on the fence. Happy for other voters determine community vibe.

2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I must disclose that I voted "very pro" in this poll. I was about to create a new thread but I can see there are already some good ideas here.

After having observed behavior on R3 I can say that my opinion has been reinforced that "The role play & interactive world benefits outweigh any negatives, addressed or otherwise.". Emergent play can really thrive when the sandbox world allows full interaction.

I witnessed people using town chests to transfer items to each other and I was reminded of the typical kinds of insecure player trading scams that we remember well from UO. We definitely need to see a good implementation of player secure trading, done well to set a good standard. I would personally want to add to this to expand into contracts and bounties, distributing loot etc.

In regards to placing items of the ground, other mechanisms could include an instant littering fee, paying a fee for an item to remain for a duration of time, or having to obtain a monthly public nuisance reduction license to allow you to drop items in town.

I hope there might be some way for players to sponsor & vote for permanent improvements to the map based on emergent play, i.e. public buildings, lights, walls, benches, chests, bins, bridges, canals, mines, aqueducts etc

2. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Sorry guys, I've been meaning to go back and collate the feedback from this thread post move into the OP, but lately my typing time has been filled up with other projects which you'll hopefully see the fruit of soon...

Did want to share this though:

Hmmm...
    :p

3. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Uhmm, might be me that is a bit confused, but in the new release schedule it states that in one of the later releases:

"Drop Items Anywhere: Not content to place object only on player property? Well rejoice because we will now enable item placement anywhere. Some minor constraints and limits will regulate this activity but the main goal is to provide freedom and immersion".

Doesn't that imply they were going to implement the feature to begin with?

rild and Astrobia like this.
  4. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Well spotted Deus. It was definitely an issue of debate as you can see in the video linked in the main post. I don't know if the final decision was the result of the communities feedback or not but it doesn't matter. Based on the poll over 90% of the community would be pleased by this development.
    So rejoicing there shall be!

rild likes this.
  5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I voted reserved. I was almost pro, except for two concerns (both mentioned in the initial thread).

1) Developer time. I do not want this function to interfere with other parts of game development. If it will push back combat or character customization, then I don't need it that bad.

2) Performance. If they can't solve performance issues from mass drops. I don't want it.

That being said: I LOVE the ideas that help solve drop issues by enriching the RP environment. Breaking stuff is my favorite. Drop all the cabinets you can carry (that's like... 1 right?), I'll just smash it! Great idea.

Beggars, guards and merchants picking stuff up to sell, or fining you for littering. Awesome solutions. I love it.

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm pretty sure it was to be implemented and tested to see how much of a problem it caused and if there were easy solutions. Whether it ends up in release is probably still TBD.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

What I like is a trading chest that is created when two players imitates a trade. The chest only lets them access it. Just a new way instead of a trade window.

I hated the Brit bank clutter of endless crafted items laying around stacked 100 high times 100. I won't get into the grieving aspect.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Daggerithian

Daggerithian Avatar

As far as gameplay, it's just about the most important thing to me in a way. With item interactivity and immersion, it's vert rare to have what Ultima 7, Ultima 8, Ultima 9, Underworld 1 & 2, Ultima Online, Divine Divinity and even Recent Elder Scrolls games have.

9. Daggerithian

Daggerithian Avatar

I can't seem to find that post but the most recent one I can find says
    • "Interactive Areas: Don’t you wish you could move that chair in the tavern to have a better view of the front door? Public areas like taverns will now be flagged as interactive areas. This will allow more freedom in those spaces by allowing the moving but not taking of items. This will also up numerous other possibilities like interactive chess boards."
    maybe the drop items anywhere has been replaced with this one?

rild likes this.
  10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Daggerithian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.