Want more funding? Add real PvP.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Eldridge, Jun 8, 2014.

?

Do you want HARDCORE PvP?

1. Yes

45.3%
  2. No

56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That is more like it!

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

2. Ara

Ara Avatar

This poll dont tell me anything about it is consensual or non-consensual PvP OP means.

Maybe you can inform me and others what the options yes or no stands for?

I want consensual PvP ans full loot.

Here is a poll and it took me 1 minute to find it-

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...h-are-you-unofficial.4120/page-19#post-139331

So as you can see i can back my statement that a majority of the players voting in the poll wanted full loot.

Then we got a so called PvP compromize where developers didnt go for what the majority of PvP interested players wanted when it comes to death and risk vs reward in the game. They instead went for an option that suited the PvE not so interested risk vs reward players as a glove. That tell me alot about the so called "we listen to our player mentality developers told us they had". They didnt listen to what the majority of the PvP players wanted in this game when it comes to death and risk vs reward.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Polls posted in the general forums have shown opposite numbers. Polls in the PvP forums tend to slant in another direction. We know that this is a small sample size and when viewing the larger market, it has always gone in the opposite direction.

If you target a biased group with a poll, you're going to get biased results.

4. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

There is risk vs. reward in their PvP plans: the ransom system. Why is that not acceptable?

I would assume that hardcore means the opposite of the PvEers that you hate with such a passion. It's also a safe bet that whatever hardcore means, it is more punishing than the current plans; otherwise the question would be whether or not one agrees with those current plans.

Again, what evidence do you have that they didn't listen? We've already established that you can't prove that a majority of players agree with you. Did you even consider the possibility that they did, in fact, base their plans of the desires of the majority? Or do you think that Portalarium is just so wicked that they would willingly throw away customers just for the joy of making them sad?

Silent Strider and enderandrew like this.
  5. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

You pledged for Shroud of the Avatar, which was never promised to be a full loot game. SotA, by it's current plans, does in fact have risk vs. reward mechanics; it's just not the precise exact kind of risk vs. reward you apparently assumed it was without cause.

Silent Strider and enderandrew like this.
  6. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Why are the options always laid out to be 'no loot, no penalties completely consensual PvP ' -vs- 'crafting and PvE destroying full loot'.

Surely there must be a golden middle way.
    The random item(s) looted countered by paying a gold ransom system, which they mentioned as an option in one of the videos sure sounds a lot better and way more fun than 1 of the 2 above mentioned fanatic systems that "thousands of fans" want..

I trust the devs to come up with a system that's fun to play. (if they ever get time to work on it :p)

Seneth Somed likes this.
  7. Ara

Ara Avatar

So you didnt have anything to say about the poll i showed you a link to? Would you agree that the majority of the ones voting in that poll want full loot? Then if you do, in what way is not that a majority? Should we just guess that even though they seem to be a majority they is still the minority? That doesnt make any sense. Developers need to go with the result of polls and figure out how to implement the wishes the majority stands for.

If so, why isnt full loot in the game? The majority, even a vast majority of the voters (arround 75%) wanted full loot. Dont developers listen to their community? Or just listen selectively to certain community members? I read hardcore in this poll as non-consensual PvP and that is not something i like to see in SotA. I want it to be like UO was after trammel in felucca, you consented to PvP and full loot by leaving trammel. That is a risk vs reward game worth the name.

I dont hate PvE players but i dislike strongly that the PvE players that dont seem to be especially interested in PvP ( and a minority) seem to have gotten their wishes come true in what features SotA PvP should include. A less hardcore risk vs reward game with little consequences as insurance. You dont loose anything but money if you have some in your bank. That is far from the full loot PvP game and definetly not interesting taking part in.

Maeryck likes this.
  8. Ara

Ara Avatar

We knew there would be a slider option that i as a player could set to a gameplay i like, but you're right it never said it was gonna implement full loot, but on the other hand it didnt say it werent gonna be an option either.

There was very little information on PvP during kickstarter.

The risk vs reward you find in the game now is totally unacceptable. It is very far from the full loot option the majority in poll i linked wanted to see in the game.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Can you present a link to the poll your talking about? The one that is in favor of no full loot.

10. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes i prefer one world.

But as it stands now that PvP system isnt very much a risk vs reward PvP game. Little consequences.

It is definetly not a game where i would take part in PvP in.

If that is what i have to accept then i play something else.

I should be able to move "my slider" to a gamestyle i like.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The stance on no full loot was stated early on in the kickstarter and nothing has changed.

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The whole "hard core" "full loot" argument just seems like saying "chess would be more awesome if we did shots every time we lost a pawn."

I just don't see how it would be. And it clearly takes players out of the game. But I'd support some kind of achievement system for kill streaks if someone really wanted that kind of bragging rights. To me it's just a distraction that takes a lot out of the game.

My only real issues with WoW's PvP system are:
    1) The progression based PvE system keeps PvP unbalanced.
    2) The Holy Trinity PvE min/maxing messes up interesting PvP builds.
    3) There's no guild based PvP or PvP with persistent consequences, e.g. fighting for a castle.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Just hearing the term "PvP Builds" make me shutter.

I hope there is no special "Build" to anything. Make good choices for your skills, but I hope there isn't some special "PvP build", and a "PvE build" at all.

14. Ara

Ara Avatar

I have a hard time finding any definite answer during kickstarter time on full loot.

Maybe you can provide a link?

Ferrus and Isaiah like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

To be fair, then number you quote is PSU (Peak Simultaneous Users) while the post to which you're responding to is the installed user base. While a slightly more that 1% PSU isn't particularly good (I'd like to know what the install cost on Steam is, but am not curious enough to go look) if you're going to criticize someone's statistics, please try and compare similar metrics.

tamino likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There was a live dev chat with a few of the devs... may have been just after kickstarter. They were saying something about giving us the ability for full loot, but they thought we wouldn't like it. I remembered kind of being shocked they thought we wouldn't like full loot. However back then I was on the fence about full loot too. I didn't see a real need for it. However after playing some free shards here and there, it got me thinking how much nicer it was before being married to our gear!!! Also having something tangible to loot was better than getting some kind of insurance, (or nothing but a kill point in WoW).

I have no idea what video that is. It was one of the weekly dev chats during, or just after kickstarter.

EDIT: They obviously changed their minds, and went with their initial gut instinct. However I do remember they were heming and hawing saying OK we will give you full loot to try it out, but we don't think you will like it much.... I know that video is out there.

tamino likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As part of the concept for Shroud of the Avatar is "Affinity" the loss of equipment that you've been using for a while, and have gained affinity with may well substantially and adversely affect your performance. I would, were I interested in PvP consider this before insisting on Full Loot.
    The effect of Full Loot may well be, as it was in UO, people running around in sub-standard equipment to minimize the deleterious effects of losing, the ultimate expression of this being "The Naked Mage"

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

People will be running around in sub-standard equipment if they have continually increasing repair costs too. I think the continually increasing repair costs ruins the affinity of personalized gear more than full loot ever will.

I hope they go with something like the re-forging idea.

Why REFORGING?
    After you repair items over and over it becomes economically insane to keep repairing your good items, and people will actually be afraid to use their best items unless they are fighting super tough fights.

To solve that perhaps they can have a system that reforges older items for the full material cost... here's how it works:
    • You can repair your super items a finite number of times, say 10 times, before it loses one of its levels of refinement.
    • After losing a level of refinement you can still use the item, and repair it as many times as you like but it will never be perfect like it was, but it still retains the full history of the item, such as 1000 elf slayer etc.
    • If you choose you may REFORGE the item by having a smith (using the item as the base material) and reforge the weapon from scratch, bringing it back to full strength, and the item keeps the same item history.
    • This will allow crafters to charge basically full price for the weapon as if they created a new item, because they are basically creating a new one out of the old materials. (this is great for the crafter economy, and great for the guy who wants to keep his 1000 elf-slayer sword).
    • This will allow people to use their best items without fear of them eventually becoming too expensive to repair. So you can vanquish rabbits and hard-core monsters with the same weapon without feeling like you're going to lose your best item.

So if they don't have full loot there will still be a need to use 2nd rate items, unless they implement something similar to what the bullets say above.

If I had to pick the lesser of the twe evils, I would rather there be no full loot as they have it, then to have continually increasing repair costs! I hope they implement item reforging (call it by any name... just please let it be so).

Ferrus likes this.
  19. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Much of the PvP community is no longer on this forum.

Narf, Ferrus and tamino like this.
  20. Cabrens

Cabrens Avatar

Buying virtual items with real money makes it pretty much impossible to allow FULL loot, since looting is like stealing real money. This is the big difference with UO times, when items were almost exclusively acquired with time spent ingame.

It s a good idea to allow pvpers to get a reward for their effort, in PvP zones : money and resources have enough value to make the challenge worthwile. I like the idea of reserving rare resources necessary to craft powerful weapons to PvP zones. Players needs are different, since age groups and personalities vary widely. Youngsters need to show their virility/vivacity while elders are more looking for a place to relax and escape, away from their daily responsabilities. Mxing both populations has always been a challenge and dividing the world so that both populations can enjoy the world has been the best answer to that diversity yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.