Husband & Wife players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by animegeneral, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animegeneral

animegeneral Avatar

I have looked about on these forums but I haven't seen anything clear on this. My wife and I both enjoy playing together, and we wondered what would be the best and most cost effective solution. To play this game do we need 2 accounts so we could play together? Would it be best to go for 2 pledge accounts at the same level or one higher and one at the lower end? Just a curiosity, since they say no DRM, would one account with 2 character slots be able to play together? We don't have a lot of money to spend so we just wondered what the most effective way would be, this looks to be shaping up to be a great game and would love to support it fully, but that is not really possible at this time. I still have my UO charter edition box from years ago and played it for years.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

most cost effective way is to wait for the game's release... that way, you can just buy 2 copies of the game which will give you 2 accounts to play with...^_^

Celestial Knight likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I disagree Kabalyero. This game needs money and it needs it now. The more it gets now the better likelihood we'll get something good.

If you look at pledge rewards page you can see that some pledges allow a second character to be part of the pledge. At a certain level there are 3 characters per account.

You have to share items (from pledge rewards) with each other and the same last name of the character tho and I don't know if there will be restrictions on simultaneous login but I don't think so.

This is something they just added last week, and I think it's the most cost effective way, but since it was just announced, I can't say 100 percent how it works if you want to play at the same time.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe it was clarified that multiple characters on the same account will not be allowed to login simultaneously.

smack, NRaas, NirAntae and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

It would probably be best imo to start by getting two adventurer level pledges and playing a release or two. After that you may have a good idea of whether or not you want to spend more. If you do remember that you can use a monthly payment plan if you can't pay a certain amount all at once.

Celestial Knight and rild like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well then... never mind. Hahah. Separate Accounts and Pledges it is. It will cost you 90 bucks for both and you'll get access later this month to R7 and then access once a month and maybe more sometimes.

7. animegeneral

animegeneral Avatar

Thanks for the responses so far, I just wanted to add a few things. In games like ultima online I would usually own the house but she would do all the decorating and the internal stuff, and I wasn't sure how well we would be able to share things with 2 separate accounts. We work together when we play, she usually does some of the crafting in games like cooking and tailoring, while I like to do the mining and smithing. I just wanted to ask if I would be able to give her char. all the permissions in the house, as if it was hers.

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I would sit down and think about what you would want from the pledge. The pledges themselves vary in their rewards. If you want to experience the game as its built then you should look at the minimum pledges. If you don't want to experience the game as systems are being designed then wait. Do you want to commit to all 5 episodes or maybe just 3 or maybe 1. This affects your initial pledge level as well. Do you want housing and do you want it to be tax free? Housing has taxes that need to be paid on it while in-game. We don't know what the tax rates are, but it has been commented that a person will likely be able to support one taxed house with normal game palsy, support two taxed houses if they play a lot, and likely not be able to support three. Do both of you want housing? If not, housing can be shared, including permissions, so that both of you can acts as owners. These are just a few of things I'd consider as to what level to pledge.​

Kaisa and tradyblix like this.
  9. enderandrew

Welcome to the community @animegeneral, btw!

Houses can have access lists. You list friends or whatever as Kindred that have permission to enter your house, or you gave him them permission to decorate, etc.

The game is $45 now. If you wait until launch, you won't get bonus items (snowball box and coconut horse). At launch, the price may even go up to a more traditional $60 retail cost of a game.

rild likes this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I did respond to your house question, yes you can both act as owners. At this point in time, dual ownership isn't implemented, but everyone can claim any sized lot, provided you get in early enough. Anyone can use crafting stations in public areas, even on a housing lot. They may not be able to use a station in a house if they can't enter the house to begin with.

11. animegeneral

animegeneral Avatar

Thanks for the welcome. I know for myself the level I was looking at and wanted was the $140 explorer reward, and eventually get a house in game. Most of the pledge levels look pretty reasonable to me but I just don't know if we can do 2 at that level or if one at that and one lower would be best.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'll go further and say, start off with the 45 dollar adventurer pledge that lets you play the game.

You can always increase your pledge (for at least this year anyways) prior to launch as you see how you feel about the game and how it comes along.

The way the portalarium store works is you can buy add on items and melt them down into store credit which you can apply to pledges, add-on items, and stretch goals, so even if you buy stuff you later regret or don't need as your pledge changes, you can re-allocate those funds.

rild and animegeneral like this.
  13. enderandrew

Another thing to note is that right now they're doing the Alienware promotion, where you can get $20 added to your pledge for free. You just click one link. And you can buy one account, and then use that account to refer the second and get a referral bonus. Both accounts will get a special emote, and the account with the bonus will get a $25 credit.

http://na.alienwarearena.com/takeover/%2Fnews%2Fget-a-20-shroud-of-the-avatar-pledge-upgrade

So on the first account, you spend $45, but end up at the $90 tier.

The second account, you spend $45 and you're at the $65 tier.

On the first account, I certainly wouldn't mind if you maybe listed me as the referrer and I'd get a credit! ;)

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I believe you can claim the Alienware promotion even if you don't have a pledge level yet. So, you could spend $50 total to get both accounts.

1. Create a free account.
    2. Use the Alienware link to add a $20 pledge to the account.
    3. Upgrade the account to Adventurer for $25.
    4. Repeat for the second account.
    As far as housing, once you purchase one (either in-game, or if you upgrade your pledge prior to release), you can mark the other player as Kindred, which gives them access and decorating rights in your home.

Welcome to the game!

15. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Both myself and my wife are playing. It comes down to what you want from the game at the start. If you want a house immediately, get one account with a house and another with whatever you want that account to have at a lower pledge. For me, I am a knight pledge and my wife is a collector pledge and we will just have one house until we make enough money for her to get one on her account as well.

Whichever way you go, follow the instructions @enderandrew posted.

smack, Sir Cabirus, rild and 2 others like this.
  16. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

1. Create a free account.
    2. Use the Alienware link to add a $20 pledge to both accounts.
    3. Gift an adventurer pledge to account #2 ($45) from account #1.
    4. When account #2 redeems the gift put in the referral field the email address of account#1 ($25 credit for account #1)

This is a total of $45 for a "Founder pledge" ($45 gift plus alienware $20) and an "Adventurer pledge "(alienware $20 plus $25 referral)

Mystic, rild and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  17. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome animegeneral

animegeneral likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.