Monthly payment or pay per release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Bannor, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bannor

Lord Bannor Avatar

Hi all,

"Might" have been brought up before.
    As i understand it the payment model will be a one time purchase for the game and then
    a cost for each of the possibly 5 game upgrades?

Is that correct?

Time Lord, Abydos and Jambo like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community @Bannor

This is correct. The payment model is buy once per episode. There is no monthly subscription fee.

They are helping to pay for development costs with pledge tiers and add-on store during development, but these are all optional and mainly provide vanity items. If you spent $45 on an Adventurer pledge, you will be able to play all of Episode 1 without having to spend another penny if you don't want to. And each episode will add new features as well as having a full 40 hour campaign.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and also check out my FAQ.

Edit: I did want to add that while the game won't require a monthly subscription, there is a monthly payment plan if you wanted to get an expensive tier and didn't want to pay for the whole tier up front.

Let's say you wanted the ancestor tier at $275 to get a tax-free property deed in game at launch but didn't want to spend $275 up front, then you can say up a payment plan to pay for that in monthly installments between now and February. But again, all these pledge tiers are optional. You only need the $45 Adventurer tier to play the game.

3. Lord Bannor

Lord Bannor Avatar

Thank you for the quick, clear and elaborate answer.

As a former UO player this is what I have been waiting for for a looong time.
    Can still remember the feeling of dissapointment when UO2 was cancelled.
    Sad times indeed.

Another question if i may.
    I gather the game is planned to be released Feb 2015.
    Is there any plan in place for how often the updates will be released,
    one per year, 2 per year...?

Time Lord and Abydos like this.
  4. enderandrew

The old monthly payment plan was going through September when they were talking about October beta, and December full release. Now they're pushed back a few months. I think the current plan is now Feb/March beta and April release. The plan after that is an episode once a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they run into more delays, and maybe it takes 14 months instead of 12 for Episode 2, but they're aiming for once a year.

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

We actually don't really know when the planned release date is. It was originally somewhere in Q4 2014, but based on community feedback, Portalarium extended the monthly payment plans, which we take to mean they've also pushed back their target release date. DarkStarr also mentioned there is a possibility the release date will be pushed back in one of this big mega posts, but the point was never clarified.

This also might not need to be said, but if you're looking at this game because you loved UO, I definitely suggest you do some research before you back. I can't say I completely understand why some people are so upset that this won't be do-over of UO, but you don't want to back on that premise only to be disappointed. I recommend Starr's PvP mega post and as many of the Deep Dive videos as you can stand to watch (if you haven't watched them already :p):

Fishing and Character Customization
    Multiplayer and Instancing
    Single Player Offline
    Housing
    Crafting
    PvP and Death
    Combat, Magic, and Affinity

6. Lord Bannor

Lord Bannor Avatar

Thanks again for the clarifications.
    Those deep dives seems interesting.

To clarify, i dont want UO all over again, i want something similar but better
    which it seems SotA is.
    The only thing that worries me is that RG doesnt maybe have the best track record of
    delivering on promises after UO but /this game is right up his alley.

Now time to look at Pledges more closely :)

7. Jambo

Jambo Avatar

Welcome to this amazing community, I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Jambo

8. enderandrew

Tabula Rasa, the game he described when he first pitched it sounded amazing. And NC Soft bought him out and made him greatly change the game. He then left the company, unhappy with the decisions they forced upon him.

After having been bought out by EA and NC Soft, he says he is determined to remain independent and not rely on another company to fund him and then tell him what to do, hence the crowd funding route.

Time Lord and Lord Bannor like this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Who really knows what happened with Tabula Rasa? That was big ol' giant mess. :( I'm sure there were some hangups with cooperation there, but RG is human. He can make mistakes.

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome

11. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

Welcome, but uhmmmm wait a second....SOTA needs to eat lots of pixels and bytes before even coming close ro UO. Please do not make the mistake to look for UO2 in this game, you could/will end up disillused.

*Cor Por, Kal Vas Flam etc.* are all a huge part of our past, i kind of feel nostalgy for that period of my life ( if not else, because i was 20 years younger ah!). Sota is a game from the creators of UO: true.

SOTA IS UO2= 100% no

Sota is the game we wished UO had to be? In my dreams 100% YES

EVENTUALLY, this last sentence, could turn into reality if all stars align and wind blows in the right direction.

Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Whatever you like but if your willing to do payment plan just consider it like any regular MMO that has a subscription.

pay $15.0o per month for a year and you'll be in pretty good shape, especially if you take advantage of specials, such as the one that just ended.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Doesn't quite work that way. The payment plans cut off in about eight months. :) You can keep paying after that I expect. Just don't expect the additional pledge rewards.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. elijafire

elijafire Avatar

If this remains the case then I shall pass on backing and the game. No sub fee means a poor quality game with not enough staff to keep me interested.

I have tried non sub fee games for 10 years and none of them come close to the quality of sub fee games, I am happy to pay a fair wage for a quality product. A shame I was looking forward to a quality hard core MMO, good luck in your endeavors.

Lord Trenyc likes this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Access to the alphas, the beta, and Episode 1 is available at the $45 pledge tier level. You could think of it as not any different from buying a single player game. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading up on the project, and if you are interested, nab an Adventurer pledge. There's not much risk there for you to beat yourself up over if you don't like, and if you do like it, well hey--you just got a game that can offer way more hours of play than the vast majority of $60 titles that are out there for just $45. :p

Lord Bannor, Time Lord and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.