Simple Solution for PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Would you like to have the proposed option? Yes or No

1. yes

33.3%
  2. no

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Going to toss this out there because this community is a prime case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups

Us vs Them. As a self identified PVP, who has played on PVE/PVP mixed environments I have seen this played out multiple times in many communities. Until people realize the circular argument and stop treating the other side as an enemy this will continue.

What I have seen there are 2 hard-core, vocal groups. One wants Full Loot and Non-concensual PVP just like in UO and tosses out insults to the other side. From my time with this community, this side was the first to throw punches attempting to get all PVE players to leave the community. This created a resistance that makes up the other side which consists of people that were emotional scarred by toxic behavior in UO, which in turn retaliated against the insults being directed to them.

Problem is that most of the worse offenders on both sides have left, yet we still continue to carry this grudge as a community. Even as PVP conversations became more rational and constructive; minus the asinine comments that erupt from both sides of the balcony. Issues of PVE/PVP aside: this is Portalarium's game and they are making the decisions on what the game will include. Sure they take feedback, but that have only been used to focus what has been the stated goal from the beginning. Yet we continue to take out our pleasure/displeasure on each other with some irrational feeling the Devs will listen to us more.

In the end, these 2 sides cancel each other out, and the feedback that gets absorbed by that from everyone else. So neither PVPer nor PVEers are determining the coarse of this game, but the people in the middle making rational constructive feedback. And these people are in between being a mixture of PVP and PVE.

Yet we continue to escalate these discussions and blame the other side. How about people just ignore the people they don't like, or just show self control to not be dragged down into the pit. Post your constructive feedback and stop blaming each other for the game Portalarium is making. My take is PVP feedback will more aptly regarded once there is a system in place to comment on. Right now its all conceptual which is unlikely to change much until something substantial is available for testing.

Guess this wall of text really just says: Chill Out Already! :)

2. cariac

cariac Avatar

Fire and water will never be good friend. However, I think the devs know how to make both sidea happy.

blaquerogue, StaReaver and Abydos like this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

We as PVP also like playing the storyline. and if you can opt out of PVP, thats fine with me also. But why should our PVP be effected by your likes when you come into PVP, i dont see a common ground i see softer PVP based on those that do not really want it! that makes no sense you are happy with your game play we should be happy with ours as well.

Abydos likes this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I can semi agree with that statement, but if somone kills me or my friends i want to be able to damage them for a certain period of time, whether that means they need to go to a work bench and start crafting the stuff they just lost again! Yes it would be irritating to have to do that from a PKrs point of view just like if that pkr kills you off, its irritating for you.

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and weight allowances would also minimize the the looting.

6. cariac

cariac Avatar

A modicum of respect would be welcome, whit little empathy capacity.

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

or full loot based on weight allowances! which would not be full loot because may be your character cannot carry as much weight as another?

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i can only cross my fingers! I, PVP, RP my PVP and also do quest lines as well so no, not all pvp want to just PVP. Thats what games like guildwars are for and those types built mostly on the fighting of each other, yes there are side quests now from what i hear but those type games are based on PVP and not really PVE.

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

How does one become "blessed" do we have to dish out 100$ for a blessed pvp character or are you talking about do crap for the Oracle?

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ahh answered, i dont like that at all, but its better than paying 100.00 for a blessed pvp character!

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why don't we be a little bit flexible about the full loot idea the way it was before?

I thank the devs for offering the single item loot with a ransom, but I think that is a bit too much of a compromise. Hopefully they look more to a system like this.

We cannot expect full loot the way it was in UO. That was a simple open the dead body's chest and drag and drop, drag and drop. We need to be flexible in our thinking.

If they had a system like Envy's post about looting, what if the higher tier of items were more difficult to loot (takes more time), than lesser quality items. Then that would be an inscentive for people to use their better items so that less items can get looted due to time constraints. Also if looting caused us to focus on the looting process, getting hit while looting should break that concentration like it does when hitting a person casting a spell. Hitting a person with a warhammer while they are trying to take somebody's armor off would definitely make them turn to defend themselves or at least stun them.

We should at least attempt to be flexible and keep our minds open to alternatives to a 16 year old system. It doesn't seem unrealistic that it would take time to take somebody's armor off. Also if a sword has a chain attached to the wrist, or the body is spasming and is clenching the weapon it wouldn't be a quick drag and drop.

blaquerogue, StaReaver and Abydos like this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

but once again no fear of having your teeth harvest interrupted by another player! still alot easier on PVE side.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

ok now your gonna scold me? lets see what has the forums in general done.....made jumping possible when it wasnt, made jumping a fence possible when it wasnt, made swimming possible when it wasnt.. getting the picture now, things change based on what people are talking about over these forums.

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and also what am i supposed to know better about? Nothing falls into PVP hands? That ive seen over the time ive been in here, and since you seem to have been in here as long as i you should also commend me for not going off! Like i used to do! :)

15. Swipes

Swipes Avatar

I like much the 16 year old system than a bad ransom system.

However, i agree with you,, people must be a little bit flexible about the full loot idea.

blaquerogue, Isaiah and Abydos like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

things can change in this game, they have since the game started.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Outright calling it a bad ransom system isn't going to win the affection of the dev team. I would really like to win over their favor and have them also be a little bit flexible regarding that ransom system too. I'm sure you feel the exact same way I do.

I've come up with some bad ideas too, but if somebody is rude I would be less likely to listen to them. In order for us all to be flexible we need to use more flexible and persuasive words.

Narf likes this.
  18. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Which also starts crossing over into the area of affecting and/or limiting pve just for the sake of pvp, which is something I absolutely hate in some games. In fact that very thing has made me quite more than one in disgust. Far too many games bork the pve constantly because of the interminable pvp "balancing." Can't give the players this, that or the other cool thing because it would "unbalance pvp." Can't allow things, have to nerf things, etc, etc, etc.

However, with that said, I'm guessing there will be some sort of weight and/or bulk restrictions simply because they've added a pack horse to the stretch goals. Just a wild guess on my part, but if there were going to be none, there would be no need or use for a pack animal.

Silent Strider and blaquerogue like this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

once again im just now coming to the end of this thread, so forgive me for taking so long real work takes priority :) I am totally for the option not to PVP. Just saying:)

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

the greatest thing about that statement is you have the option not to in this game.

cariac and Abydos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.