OPEN PVP!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Cazador, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

It's the best and only way! Not griefing PVP where you cant move without dying, but that's why in UO you created guard zones..bring that feel back we all miss

2. A_Ridable_Llama

A_Ridable_Llama Avatar

Exactly the reds vs blues fights on the large britain bridge were some of the most fun I had in UO.

3. Mastakilla

Mastakilla Avatar

Come at me bluebies!

4. monxter

monxter Avatar

Open pvp, criminal / murderer flags... that's the way to go :) Full loot as well, I miss that excitement!

5. Simon

Simon Avatar

Yup. I remember having my adventuring set that I could lose without hating myself and then my prized set that I only wore when going out with a full group of truly trusted comrades. You don't take your magical sword out if you think you may lose it. The risk of loss created a whole new dynamic that was pretty memorable.

I see several posts asking for full loot and none asking for restrictions. Please hear our cries echo from the depths of the abyss.

6. Options

Options Avatar

THIS! Do more to control griefing but without open pvp I don't know a single person who will play this game!

7. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Yes Red vs Blue wars were fun.

I also liked the Bounty System where if someone killed you, it asked you if you wanted to apply a bounty to that person (from your own money) in which other players could get the bounty by killing that person and returning their head to a town guard. So if a murderer killed enough people and had enough bounties you could go to the town board and see who was the most wanted.

8. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Avatar

The whole reason this has so much interest is because UO still sticks with us as the best MMO to have ever existed. We play the other games, but in our minds we always compare it to what UO used to be. Here's hoping we can relive some of those glory days.

9. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

I would like to see open world PvP.
    But after hearing and reading RG talk about this new game...

It will NOT be like UO.

I think this is what RG has in mind:
    Single player driven game rich in story/lore. And instead of relying heavily on NPCs to progress the game forward to the endgame (like all the Ultimas), we have real players "playing" the role of NPCs.
    It is like the the single player Ultimas but social.

I still support this game.

10. Abaregi

Abaregi Avatar

I'm hoping for real PvP like Ultima Online, me and my friends will not be playing unless this is done right.

Really hope this game is for PvP players. We have not found enough information on the subject yet though..

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

It is still possible for Garriott to have his story driven RPG game AND permit the return of the PK/Anti-PK wars. Those who want the story above all else can play single player, or Friends only, and never see a single PvPer, that is, if they can trust their friends not to gank them.

UO originally was a Lord British dream, and that dream included full contact PvP to include full loot. For those who also wish to relive that experience, I ask Lord British to reconsider his original dream, and learn for the mistakes made in UO, where murder was too easily committed, but was so difficult for the players themselves to administer Player Justice.

Remove easy escape mechanisms, such as Recall. Permit Anti PK to be able to track PKs, and to be fair, permit PKs the ability to track the Anti's, although from my experience on UO:Siege Perilous, the PKs didn't really want a fair fight, only victims.

Soldiers deserve soldiers. Give us the tools, and we can enjoy not only your stories and legends, but we can also create our own stories and legends at the same time.

Owain ab Arawn
    Knights of Glory and Beer (KGB)
    http://oracle.the-kgb.com/

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I support the op, full open pvp, guard zone and criminal flags prevent any surprise attack zone, but it sounds like RG doesn't want even the shadow of griefing to exist, hopefully there will be open towns/areas, I believe I heard there will be, if not hope there will be.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I would like Open PVP, but I honestly doubt SOTA will have it. There has already been hints that PVP would be area restricted and possibly quest restricted. I think our best hope for open PVP would be a control over the matchmaking filter, so those that don't want PVP can separate themselves from those that do.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. flashburn

flashburn Avatar

Quote: Remove easy escape mechanisms, such as Recall.

BLASPHEMY! If you give players the ability to track murderers that's one thing, but recall was the only thing that made the game worth playing. Anything without recall is a perma level grind.

I won't play without recall, my time is too valuable.

15. Bubblewrath

Bubblewrath Avatar

Keep speaking out about this! OPEN PVP PLEASE!

16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I don't agree that everyone loved the PK in the original UO. That being said RG mentioned characters being flagged for PvP, so I'm betting it's optional or at least restricted in some way.

17. Dignan

Dignan Avatar

Make this game a MMO. Open world pvp//free loot. Tons of people still play on uo free shards. Not to mention those who have moved on that would come play. I don't even initiate pvp. I like the danger that it could happen anytime.

18. Zoradane

Zoradane Avatar

Open pvp......absoooolutely!!

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Owain: Remove easy escape mechanisms, such as Recall.

Flashburn: BLASPHEMY! If you give players the ability to track murderers that?s one thing, but recall was the only thing that made the game worth playing.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. If you are a citizen in good standing, then if Recall is part of the game, then for my part, you may Recall with my complete blessings.

If you are a murderer, then the stain upon your soul should be such that Recall, Gate, and even the Moonstones will not function for you.

If you are a PK and you demand that you be able to Recall, I suspect that your chief reasoning is that you just want to be able to kill, and face no retribution for your crimes. But I'm just a suspicious bugger that way. The value of time for murderers should not be of concern to anyone.

Regardless, if SotA wants to fix PKs for PvP to avoid the many problems people faced in UO, then I strongly suggest that FOR MURDERERS, easy escape methods should not be allowed. Permit the players to police the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

All the things like Marking runes, the Recall spell, open PvP, and full loot are the things that made "UO" UO!!! Many many people still hail Ultima Online as the GREATEST MMO OF ALL TIME! Myself included!! And these are the same people who are going to be returning to play SotA!

All those players who did not enjoy for what UO stood for are the ones who went on to play the new breed of MMO that WoW so wonderfully encompasses, and those players will be more than happy to continue playing their new breed of MMO.

The ones who are backing this game on Kickstarter are doing so because they loved everything UO stood for, and are desperately hoping for the Reboot of UO that they've been waiting years for is FINALLY HERE.

If you remove these key elements that defined the game, it will be a HUGE mistake.

Like I saw in a previous thread, the reason that UO was able to incorporate these features into their game and have it be successful when many other MMOs simply could not, is largely due to another wonderful feature that made UO so great. The player economy was literally JUST THAT... the "Player Economy" the best items in the game were PLAYER CRAFTED! And they were not that hard to come across, so for the most part, you could easily replace the items that were in your pack.

In my opinion, UO was, is, and always will be the greatest MMO of all time, RG is genius, and I really hope that incorporates all the things that made UO so great into SotA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.