First Impressions from a Wet-Behind-the-Ears Newbie

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owen Stairs, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen Stairs

Owen Stairs Avatar

Ok, I've been playing SotA for under two days now. I accept that this is pre-alpha, but it's pretty impressive for all that. The scenes look interesting, the villages look interesting, the map looks interesting. I haven't been having too hard a time figuring things out.

But of course this is the pvp forum. The first time I stumbled into a pvp area, I died, and then I died again, and then I died a few more times, and then I realized I had no clue. So I started trying to figure it out. I did a bit of google, did some reading - what the hell is a "deck". WTF? Magic the Gathering?

Then I got back in game, found my deck, and while I was looking at that and trying to figure that out, I died a few more times. Then I tried to kill a few more people, and actually did some damage, but my friend, my slayer, said, "ur deck is broke". Hmmm, it does seem to have a lot of "slugs" in it. Maybe I'll try to kill this bear - bear 1, Llewen 0.

But it was starting to make sense. Ah yes, the skill tree, those are "cards", not "levels"! The light comes on, and I build my first real "deck". I make my way back to my Valley of Fear. Die a couple more times, randomly mashing buttons. But it's starting to make some sense.

Then, miracle of miracles, I GET MY FIRST KILL! I get my first taste of blood, AND IT IS GOOD! Things are making even more sense! I'm starting to figure out what cards are dropping on me - I still haven't figured out how to heal myself, but that will come... And suddenly, I KILL TWO OR THREE IN A ROW!!! EUREKA! FULL ON BLOODLUST!!! TAKE THAT YOU HELMETED FIRE TOSSING BULLY!

All this to say. This is the most imaginative, interesting and creative combat system I have seen in any MMO. Hands down. It's simple enough to figure out in a few gaming sessions, yet I'm guessing complex enough to keep me coming back. Most of all, it is FUN. Mission accomplished devs. Well done!

2. Espada

Espada Avatar

Hell yeah! :)

3. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

Welcome!

I am one of the people on the forums who was completely against this deck system. But after last night you can color me converted. I LOOOOVE the deck system!

They have knocked it out of the park, all it needs is a little be more polish and I can really see this becoming something truly legendary.

They really did a great job with this.

4. Owen Stairs

Owen Stairs Avatar

I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I've played so many MMO's and the only one that has ever truly grabbed me was Richard Garriot's original. Most of them have just been some form of Everquest clone, even WoW isn't the original. And the few that have tried to do something different, have done it badly, or in a way that simply didn't interest me. Last night was my first "holy crap!" moment in a long time.

Pyro861 likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Please make the glyphs stylized and "papyrus" or "stone" in the final game instead of like than the current placeholders tho.

My eyes :) So bright and garish

6. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Hear Yea! The PVP is fun...

7. Owen Stairs

Owen Stairs Avatar

Hey, and I know how to heal myself now... :)

What I also find interesting is that I am competitive with only three days playing experience, and only my starting gear - although this may just be a beta test anomaly. I'm guessing the average player won't start with so much "stuff" when the game goes live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.