SotA - Recommendations to DEVs regarding PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by psychlo, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

The pvp system.

PVP is enabled no matter were you are. You can strike without warning for any reason you choose. To make this a reality it has to work for everyone so the following was created to help people accept...

Attacking a person without just cause is a crime.
    Murdering a person without just cause is a crime.

When you murder a person, depending where you are, there is the possibility of a penalty. Penalties are severe and must be to insure that a realistic environment stays that way.

When you commit violent crimes you build up a sentence. When you are caught or "captured" your sentence goes into effect.

Killing or attacking anyone would automatically tack on time to your sentence.

FOR EXAMPLE!!!!

The sentence for PKing someone in their own home would be severe. The killer gets 30 days tacked onto his sentence. Now the killer is afraid because if he is captured or killed he will be locked in jail for 30 days.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE!!!!

A pker has been at it all day. He killed atleast 10 people and they are all crying. All 10 people are very mad and crying very hard... They want to quit the game because they were not able to fight off one pker.... they feel like the pker has made them look stupid and they want to hurt him instead of crying like a baby....

The pker has almost a whole year tacked onto his sentence and a whole lot of loot so hes running. He go the kills and the loot and hes laughing. HAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaa

The victims know where he lives because one of them had been talking trash and acting like a **** to him the other day. He knows this is all his fault so he tells the people where the pkers hide out is.

The suit up and head out. They surround the hide out and focus on killing him.

AAAHHhhhhh *the pker dies*

The loot is gone. He must have locked it up.

The PKer can now be visited in the local jail. Criminals can be seen in jail 24/7 even when they are logged out. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you are worried about people not wanting to wait a whole year to play the game again they can get out early by having their pvp disabled for the remainder of their sentence. There! problem solved!

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's simply not going to happen.

Millions of dollars have been pledged to this project on the promise that PvP will be consensual. If you can't accept that, then you need to get used to disappointment.

And, as Merciful Fate alluded... there is nothing new in your post. You simply restate what countless others who have come before you put forth.

3. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I have to agree here - that ship has sailed. The problem with every single version of that idea is you are saying "it's okay if people get mad and leave the game, the person that did it will be punished!" but at that point it's ALREADY TOO LATE.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Ya, I see them going too far in this direction as well, and I hope they do none of this.

PvP should exist for a reason. e.g.
    There's a castle and the winning side gets the castle for 2 weeks.
    There's a mine and the winning side gets access to the mine for 2 hours.
    There's a deliver resources past the pirates (smuggle past guards) area for more of an open feel.

But just random killing doesn't work. No one wants to play sheep.

Xandra7, LeosTemplar, Retro and 2 others like this.
  5. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

In various interviews and such, Richard Garriott often notes that many of his favorite stories about emergent behavior in the early days of Ultima Online arose out the fully open PvP aspect of the game. But he almost always follows up by noting (my words, not his, but this seems to be his drift) that fascinating emergent behaviors do not necessarily make a sustainable business model.

6. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

Nice threat, that's why I will never ever support any project on Kickstarter, especially the ones made with performance killer Unity.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and TemplarAssassin like this.
  7. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I wonder how every day such a pvp thread arises by people who are relative new to the game and not well-briefed about how pvp will be implemented. This isn't a game only for pvp or pve - it is a game for both camps! And therefore both camps have to make compromises! Point!

Mishri likes this.
  8. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

Well I've only just signed up and I see the PvP debate still rolls on.

As someone who has been gaming since the mid to late 70's, read D&D, Runequest, ZORK thren through to UO (1997).

I remember when Trammel game in and the split in camps from those that said it ruined the game to those that were not into PvP and were fed up of being ganked all the time.

Now like many topics on here the debate can and I'm sure will rage on.

At present I play only one other MMO on a regular basis - GW2 and I enjoy all facets of the game PvE, PvP and WvW. I have accounts on both the NA and European servers, my good friend who I play with on the NA server hates anything other than PvE and if we had open world PvP he would not play the game, a friend made through the game gone (at least in GW2). Me, enjoying all aspects can go into whichever part of the game I like (note I did not say that I'm good at :)). Now, I'm not suggesting that this is the model SotA should be based on, in fact I hope it does not?

I think there is an old saying that sums up this debate that has gone on since UO Second Age (16 years).

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

It always makes for an interesting debate though :cool:.

blaquerogue and Mishri like this.
  9. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

I think it would be more effective to report posts that you find offensive rather than pointing out the vague and meaningless rules being broken, such as being a troll. I wish the rules had some actual meat to them, but as they are written, they are just hollow vagaries built to be applied to virtually any situation ad nauseum. Anyway, your cause is good, but the moderators get too much flak around here as is, and I would hate for you to receive that same flak for becoming a vigilante mod.

Montaigne likes this.
  10. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

I for one am not very nerdy when it comes to the games I can plays? I tend to derive the most satisfaction from competitive games and only ever care about the performance aspect. How do i get better at the game instead of.. How do I fit in with the people who pledged up all sorts of money..

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  11. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

Thanks fo sticking up fo meh guyiiiis.

The real issue here is the pledgers... They have all the power over this system. A system that , please forgive me , if you related this system to real life it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to harm you until your ready so imagine it like this. Your surrounded by a few people who are trying to kill you but your on ur back on the ground wth your feet up in the air making it litterally impossible for them to attack you. (not in pvp mode)... Im so rude. I cant stop screwing up these posts!

Fact is that this system was just the most neutral system, it has be tried and tested in runescape, and its would make it possible fo players that are all that smart but are really cool to play with zero fear of being murdered by yours truly.

This is all they really want is security for their kids to play without being in constant fear. You know what I remember my first times. The guy caught me up that mine off to the right of moonglow. I was just mining away and he rushed me with a kryss. I run down the trail throwing out ore trying to get some stamana screaming AAHHHHHHHH. That sucked but I was better for it :) I was in high school.

My serious and honest recomemendation to the backers and pledgers is to take their current system and put reality back in. I cant really explain it in a way thats easy to just get it right away. You have to think about it for yourself and maybe put a little time into it. maybe use some of my idea or somethink.

If I could pledge lots of money I would want to make the game Balanced, competitive, realistic, and fair. An example of a competitive game would be CS:GO since it is a game that I can play every day and never get tired of it. Have been playing counter strike for 10+ years. Oh yeah.. I do this to them to... it tries to get us to do stuff****

I agree with the guy who said its never going to happen. Well... Atleast I tried and all you backer better friggin watch yo azz since if you guys are serious about keeping this game bland and boring then Im going to have to make my own friggin game... BEECH

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  12. kronides

kronides Avatar

Psychlo,

You seem to assume that your reasons for playing (competition, and raw skill progression) are the only valid reasons that anyone can have to play, but that just isn't so. At least 50% of the people who play these sorts of games don't care about those things at all, so it is no surprise that games that focus solely upon those aspects end with small, niche player bases. Someone who plays for character or story is unlikely to play, or play for very long, a game that demands of them some amazing display of skill, whether that is in PvP or otherwise, or requires them to compete to advance. There can be all sorts of ways to advance players (the most widely played mmo's understand this well), and it is better to have different kinds of content for different player interests--not force every player to conform to your narrow interests. The game will fail if they do that and they are not doing that for this reason.

Phredicon and Silent Strider like this.
  13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'm not sure that I understand your mind. Do you argument against the backers, which make it possible with their money to develop this game?

14. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

DUDE i want to "play for character" too! I really have nothing to say to you other than you are to inexperienced to understand that competition is gaming.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S MONEY INVOLVED!!!

15. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

somehow he is right its developed for the high backers who mainly not want pvp at least it feels to me like that. and not for all the players made it possible for lord british to visit the moon all the ultima online players !!!!!!!

and there are not so much pvp backers because they released the combat system prety late in my opinion (ok its an alpha i know but who want that people play his game better add good combat)

when combat is in a state of great and skillfull i think there will be much more pvp backers

i mean who want an expencive home in a game he not know if he will like its endgame pvp (only farmers and pve guys) so it will be developed for them because they are the first backers

TemplarAssassin and psychlo like this.
  16. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

I dont even think you can pvp out of you house in this game right? it didnt seem like it in the videos

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'd love to see proof of some of these claims. I can sift all through the dev+ forums and see plenty of threads/posts that get rejected outright.

Maybe the 10,000 crowd have a little more access to the dev ear but I am going to bet most of those are perfectly fine with what ever RG comes up with.

Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

PVP is by flag (opt-in) not only by area (some areas will auto-flag you upon entry).

I fail to see any positive argument for anything.

You tell everyone, including yourself (if you even pledged) to shut up. Then why should we listen to you either?

You also seem to have skipped watching the KS videos and the ensuing 16 months of talks about the system, and how it is OPT-IN in the first place.

This is not something "we decided by pledging" it was in the core design they presented and made. So, point in fact, it is RG's vision of the game and not driven by people who should shut up.

Bramagola, Leos, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  19. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

i think there will, just not everywhere i think you can place homes in pvp zones too

20. Dryxaline

Dryxaline Avatar

This!!! I enjoy pvp, i enjoy pve, but i want to enjoy them when i want to. I've played all types of mmorpg pvp games, ones with just arena, ones that were FFA loot. FFA loot games are typically the worst ones, and usually no matter what the penalties are, the "i only play to pk" people will kill no matter what. These are the folks that ruin games for everyone else, no thank you. There are players who just want to focus on pve aspects, and for some odd reason master pk'er decides that he's going to ruin pve guys day for no other reason than he can. There's no challenge to the kill, there's no rhyme or reason, other than to just do it. It's with out a doubt the most annoying thing with a ffa mmorpg, and unfortunately once those rules are in place the game is literally infested with these type of players, so again, no thank you. I don't want to be sitting at my crafting station using some long gathered mats to build something and be slaughtered by some blood hungry pk'er.

Then after that happens, all of the pve'ers will quit, the population will crash and the pk'ers are wandering around screaming about the lack of population. I think the way this game is set up is great, obviously it's very early so i'm sure alot of tweeks will still be made, but keeping a balance and keeping different groups happy is an absolute must, especially with so many different backers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.