How many avatars have at least a masters degree in medeival history??????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeaw1101, Aug 4, 2014.

?

How many of you actually went to school for this kind of stuf

1. Yes I'm a total dork with an education

47.4%
  2. Yes I'm a total dork w/o formal education

26.3%
  3. Yes I'm a dork

26.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You sure the physicists have been able to prove that yet? Last I heard they haven't been able to rule it out.

2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

They never will be able to prove it. If a theory says you can't do something, the only thing you can really do in terms of proof is disprove it by doing that thing. Conventional models suggest you'd need an infinite amount of force to move your immovable mass, though, so that's probably not happening anytime soon, unless someone comes up with some wild idea for avoiding the mass increase problem, which doesn't seem especially likely. Who knows, though? I'm not in the business of predicting the kinds of things most people might call "possible". "Probable" seems more relevant to me, and I'm fine changing my perspective if and when new ideas come along. That's what science is all about.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah, I'm a little iffy about quantom physics. There is so much we really just don't know. Some day in the future they might have a new scientist that blows it all out of the water. There might be some stuff that they can observe, and they may have some stuff that works, but do we really hear about the experiments that don't work?

It seems to me that scientists want to be true to science, but when it comes to getting grants, they need to make a good case to get more funding. In the end the more we know the more we find out we don't know.

Trenyc likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Never say never, ever.

~10th Doctor

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Oh boy this thread is going off the rails. Religion vs Science. Everyone telling their personal degree stories and background.

All the OP wanted to know is if anyone had a masters degree in medieval history lol

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's not a problem of practicality. It's a problem of logic. After all, it's impossible for you to prove that you can't produce a shot of vodka out of thin air.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's worth mentioning that math allows you to construct all kinds of possibilities that are theoretically possible, or supported by the math, but that don't happen because that's not how things in this universe work.

Look up the fine tuning problem if you want your mind blown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

"The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. ... The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life." --Stephen Hawking

rild likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like to keep an open mind.

I like to believe ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

Science needs to catch up with that, and religion can't comprehend that.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Actually the science of probability does assign some very small non-zero numbers to some very unlikely things.

Somethings that are so unlikely that they haven't yet occurred in the history of our universe.

But that doesn't mean that they CAN'T happen.

Retro likes this.
  10. Malekin McKracken

Malekin McKracken Avatar

Mountains, Rocks, SAND and HEAT!! far from home
    It is possible.... I saw Superman do it by flying around the earth counter clockwise...... come on folks - get with the times!

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

And then we have the non-intellectual approach to this forum problem lol

12. Morgnes

Morgnes Avatar

I mean.... worked for Kirk too, but he used the sun not earth. Honestly, 16 temporal violations, how's that possible if we can't mess with time ;)

Captain Norrington likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The Doctor: People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

This sounds about right. Although he does say later that, that sentence kind of got away from him.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I am an idiot but I love history . Few people here can attest to my claim lol!!!

Isaiah [MGT] and Lord Beli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.