SotA - Recommendations to DEVs regarding PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by psychlo, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think he was replying to the non-consentual PvP. That isn't going to happen.

However PvP should be world wide. The blessing of the Oracle should make individuals eligible for PvP world wide. So will guild based PvP.We should have more than enough PvPers.

Actually I think Flagging Permanently for PvP will be more fun than the battle zones. Especially for a person like me who gets impatient and travels solo. Now if I want to die I can travel solo into a battle zone, or I could just go about my adventuring life like normal. If I'm permanently flagged for PvP then I might get attacked in a town or at a dungeon site.

The chances of us being attacked by a large group would likely diminish outside of a PvP only zone. I might get attacked by a person who's just happy to find some prey, only to discover that I have a chip on my shoulder, and am looking for some punk to pick a fight with me wherever I go. (although much has to be said about a sneak attack though) a single player could be quite dangerous if you aren't ready.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also if they have faction based PvP as well they need to have PvP outside of Open PvP zones. Why only fight in zones if you can clearly see your enemy faction in any other zone? The battle never stops.

Also those of us who get impatient (like me), can have instant allies. If you find an opposing faction player in a city you can start a battle (trying to avoid guards etc). Although they might have friends to help... problem ... until a few other fellow faction members you may not have met before show up that help you fight.

I actually made quite a few friends in UO while playing in a chaos guild. After a while I got to recognize a few regulars that would always fight along side me, and strangely enough that creates a kind of bond. Eventually I would add them to my ICQ at the time and there was always a person to hang out with even if they were from another guild.

THEN there is the strange bonds that are created between enemies. You fight a person enough times, and it throw in a few close calls, and some drama... eventually I would notice that my enemies became more fun over time, because I knew them. I may think they are rotten, but some how they became almost like friends in a way, and we would even talk, or bicker at each other. That's part of the fun I suppose.

A PvE person may not even know this is even possible. However it was in UO, and I think SotA will have the same kind of experience (it's not like factions will be totally separated like they are in WoW so you can never really get to know that orc on the other side of combat. WoW PvP didn't have the same magic. In fact I never want to bring up WoW PvP again.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That would be one level of "why." Which is necessary for competition but not sufficient for an RPG. An RPG would have two+ levels, so you're fighting to take a castle and you want that castle because...

As you get into something deeper, like Lineage, Eve, Archage, you'll see where this can go.

4. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

600 Dps gank catalyst is a miners best friend?

5. kako

kako Avatar

Punishment for killing other players is reputation loss... You turn red. And you should be allowed to ressurect without penalty.

6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

You shouldnt turn red just for killing someone if u are in a pvp zone u r fair game. What if someone is running around griefing u forxl hours abusing mehanics or somehing u should be able to kill him justly and not go red since its morally helping everyone but the jerk out

7. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

So punishment for killing other players should be... negative glory ?

8. kako

kako Avatar

You got it! Pretty simple and effective.

At some point you will be perma flagged. So others that kill you will be rewarded.

9. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Hmmm... "restate what countless others who have come before you" I suspect there is a market for his idea. In all fairness... It's not known "how" PvP will be consensual. Consensual could mean... "want PvP? Go online. Dont want it? Do single player." Just saying. I donated for what he is describing with those "countless others".

10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

It's pretty known that those who want to opt out can.

11. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

That's what I'm saying... they can. Just "how" is the question.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They have been pretty clear that you can opt to go into a PvP hex and you can opt to flag open PvP with the blessing of the Oracle. Or you can dual and guild war.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

As much as some may want that, it is definately not the case. Opting out of PVP does not mean play alone.

Silent Strider and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't get the point of posts like this....the game was marketed another way to everyone but yet you want it changed to how you want it.
    Is this because you think everyone would just be like...ok that's great we gave money for one thing now it's changed.

There are a group of you who are really pushing changing it and I just don't get why.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

I disagree. Unless I'm in a guild war with another group, just because I'm there, that shouldn't give another player the right to attack me without cause. That would be a crime, and in a game based upon Virtues, I would think that something like that would be important. PvP in R8 was a free for all, but that was just a pre alpha test. The devs haven't announced a system covering criminal justice, but I think one covering things like murder will be necessary. Attacking and killing another player should be a serious crime with serious consequences.

Isaiah [MGT], Mata and Sir Cabirus like this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Uo had many whys.

Guild vs Guild, Chaos vs Order, Law vs Crime. We even had extortion back then. Them miners paid real good cash so the reds wouldn't kill them and take their ore.

And if the game has no open PvP for all, we get rid of many of those whys...
    we wont have Crime vs Law, because there will be no crime.
    We won't have extortion and protection services, because the farmers will farm safely in 'trammel'.

We're left with guild vs guild. And it seems most people on this forum r content with that.

Mercyful Fate and Owain like this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why. You have to define your own why. The game can't provide you with a why. No one can give you a why. You have to come up with your own why, which will be different from my why.

This is part of what I was trying to get at in another thread I started, "Bro, do you even Role Play???" For supporters of a Role Playing Game, there seem to be an awful lot of people who don't understand the concept.

Who are you in the game? How do you react to situations? What are your motivations? The game can't tell any of those things.

This is why I support things like Open PvP and Full Loot. What are some strong motivators? Revenge? How can you have revenge as a motivation if you don't allow other players to commit acts that justify revenge? The noble desire to right wrongs? Not possible if you don't permit players to commit a wrong. The desire to recover what is rightfully yours? Someone has to be able to take what is rightfully yours.

The more freedom you give players to be bad, the more freedom you give players to be good. The fewer restrictions imposed, the greater the opportunity there will be for role playing.

How can you ever role play a situation if the game never permits that situation to arise?

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Make this game open PvP for all and way too many never even bother to buy the game.

Silent Strider and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

I agree. Open PvP should be a choice available for role players..

Silent Strider and blaquerogue like this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I do like the idea that PvP (contested hex) will migrate around the world and can make things uncomfortable for those that do not wish to PVP. It's not always safe and if you do not want to join the fight then move out of the way so those that do can get things done.

Such as a city siege. If your house is in that city then you are not going to have access to your house until things are back under control. Either move out of the way and wait it out or jump in and join the PvP.

What I would like to see is the devs create a battle field that is multi roll dependent. Things like a miner being able to go to that PvP hex and gather ore for the fight. While they are there gathering ore the efforts on the front lines are reinforced. The enemy is going to want to take out those miners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.